Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Unlimited 4x4 Sport S
Occupation
Robotics and AI Consultant
Hi there fellow owners,

I purchased a brand new Jeep Wrangler Sport 4x4 Unlimited (fully loaded) 3 weeks ago. I love it!

I took off the hard top for the first time this week. I was really careful taking it off and placing it on towels in the garage to store.

I was really surprised and disappointed that the hard top got all sorts of scratches on it from only one removal. It really got banged up. The hardtop is black and the scratches are pure white.

What’s really surprising is that it happened so easily. I would expect Jeep to have used a more durable material that would be scratch resistant.

I’ve purchased a touch up pen from Mopar. I hope it works. Anyone have s similar experience with the hard top, experience with the touch up pen, any other recommendations?
Sponsored

clayps

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Jeep Wrangler Sport
Hi there fellow owners,

I purchased a brand new Jeep Wrangler Sport 4x4 Unlimited (fully loaded) 3 weeks ago. I love it!

I took off the hard top for the first time this week. I was really careful taking it off and placing it on towels in the garage to store.

I was really surprised and disappointed that the hard top got all sorts of scratches on it from only one removal. It really got banged up. The hardtop is black and the scratches are pure white.

What’s really surprising is that it happened so easily. I would expect Jeep to have used a more durable material that would be scratch resistant.

I’ve purchased a touch up pen from Mopar. I hope it works. Anyone have s similar experience with the hard top, experience with the touch up pen, any other recommendations?
I've used the touch up paint on my JK's black hard top and it works wonders to the point where you can't even tell it was scratched. I just kind of dab it on with the brush to give it that bumpy/rough look. If you got the one with the pen and brush all in one, I recommend using the brush end. I've never had any luck with the pens no matter the vehicle.

OP
OP
SupermanMikail

SupermanMikail

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Unlimited 4x4 Sport S
Occupation
Robotics and AI Consultant
I've used the touch up paint on my JK's black hard top and it works wonders to the point where you can't even tell it was scratched. I just kind of dab it on with the brush to give it that bumpy/rough look. If you got the one with the pen and brush all in one, I recommend using the brush end. I've never had any luck with the pens no matter the vehicle.
Thank you for the response, ClayPS.

Just wanted to let people know that there are two different Mopar pens/brushes. One of them is a standard (paint) touch-up pen and the other is specifically for the hardtop. The standard touch-up is more glossy and I haven't received the hard top pen yet.

I will follow up with results.

Evil_E

First Name
Eli
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL
Occupation
Analyst
Totally interested in this thread as I just scratched my week old top today - tried to be careful when storing it in the back, but I had the back seat up and I scraped up against the hardware. Thanks for the info.

Edit addition:
Here's a video about the touch up pen too if anyone is interested:
Sponsored