Sponsored

Scratch, will this buff out? Need tips.

Jeepney18

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 Toyota Corolla S, 2018 JL Sport S Unlimited
Vehicle Showcase
For anyone that has had scratches, how did you fix it?
20190816_194040.jpg
20190816_194112.jpg
Sponsored

flightace47

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
No Jeeps yet
For anyone that has had scratches, how did you fix it?
20190816_194040.jpg
20190816_194112.jpg
Does your fingernail catch in it at all? If so then it’s too deep to buff out. If this is the case, don’t even try because you’ll eat the paint out around it.

My Jeep came with paint damage brand new and I found out that the paint is unbelievably thin on these new cars. Easy to burn through when trying to level touch up paint with just a few passes while wet sanding. Don’t go that route unless you have lots of experience with working on automotive paint. (I didn’t have enough!)

You can use the Dr Colorchip or Langka systems to fill scratches or chips and then level the blobs chemically. Used properly, I don’t think either one will screw up the rest of your paint. I’ve used Langka successfully to fill small chips and thin scratches. The issue I had was much much larger (nickel sized all the way down to metal). Yours is most certainly in the fixable range.

Lots of YouTube videos out there on fixing scratches. Watch them all.

Also, don’t try to make it absolutely 100% perfect. You can’t! (Unless it buffs out, anyway.)

I can’t tell from the pictures if it will buff out because the scratch is not in focus. The fingernail test will tell.

Good luck!

Driggs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Many
First pic looks like a scuff on the clear coat. That should buff out. I had a very similar scuff in the same location while removing the hardtop it slid. If you don’t have experience using a buffer I wouldn’t recommend learning on your Jeep, have a body shop do it. Also those scratch removers they sell in stores to rub on your vehicle will just scratch up your clear coat with swirl marks, don’t use them.

Sponsored

melendez69

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 3.6 JLR / 2013 911 / 2013 E92 M3
Occupation
...huh?
Vehicle Showcase
How you fix scratches depends. If your jeep is a princess, then take it to the body shop. Otherwise, a color Mopar pen works.
I'll drink to that.... I have scuffs on the roll bar from using the Top Lift Pro since I'm kinda clumsy. I use the pen to touch them up here & there. I chalk it up to being the Jeep thang that comes with ownership.

jayteal

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JL Rubicon; 2018 JLUR; 2004 TJ
Mopar paint pen. I've used mine a couple times and it does a good job, especially for a couple deep scratches from an oops moment while installing a soft top.

OP
OP
Jeepney18

Jeepney18

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 Toyota Corolla S, 2018 JL Sport S Unlimited
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks for the input. I was also removing the hard top and it slid. Seems like it was more of a scuff, than a scratch. I tried wd40 and meguiars compound, and after a while I was having a hard time finding the marks. So unless your really looking for it, it's unnoticeable.

SmartSelect_20190817-154911_Gallery.jpg

This is the only one that I couldn't really get out, but the angle makes it look worse than it is.

Driggs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Many
Mines black as well so every scratch seems to stick out more. That’s definitely just scuff marks on the clear coat it’ll buff out no problem. I’d wait until you have more noticeable scuffs until you have a detailer buff it for you (you’ll get more).
Thanks for the input. I was also removing the hard top and it slid. Seems like it was more of a scuff, than a scratch. I tried wd40 and meguiars compound, and after a while I was having a hard time finding the marks. So unless your really looking for it, it's unnoticeable.

SmartSelect_20190817-154911_Gallery.jpg

This is the only one that I couldn't really get out, but the angle makes it look worse than it is.
black

Sponsored

Rubi-Zero

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon , Audi S5
Vehicle Showcase
That scuff mark will definitely buff out so don’t worry too much.
Just by your pics it looks to me it’s not deep enough to be into the paint.
The next time you wash your Jeep, take a nice micro fiber and some light compound for minor scratches and buff it out by hand. should take you about 1-3 min.

jaom0714

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Rubicon JL Unlimited Sport 4 doors
Vehicle Showcase
This is how my scratch look like in my Rubi. Any suggestion?

IMG_4550.png

bautistasamuel

First Name
Samuel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Wrangler Sahara
It looks like a deep scratch. You can follow the steps below-
  • clean the surrounding area
  • use a scratch repair kit
  • apply a rubbing compound
  • and finally, cover it up with touch-up paint
Once I faced deep scratch and light scratches for several times. These steps worked for deep and a scratch remover for the light scratches. Now, I always keep a scratch remover with me and I think all should have a scratch remover in their toolbox.
Sponsored