irishtim7

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 JL Wrangler Rubicon, 02 BMW M3, 91 BMW E30
Your jeep is coming along nicely.

Question about the sliders... they attach to the frame only? Not the body mounts? Do they extend the full length of the pinch seam? How many attachment points?

I am really struggling with finding some decent sliders for the 2 door. I read the long thread about body bolts snapping and many of the slider options out there mount via the body mounts.

I am heading to the Texas Spur jeep jamboree in a few weeks and suspect my stock ruby sliders aren't going to hold up.
the sliders are frame mounted and do not use the body bolts at all. In the rear it uses the bolts around the body bolt but that’s it. That was one of the things I wanted to avoid as well. They don’t fully cover the pinch seam. There is about 1” exposed in the rear and about 3” up front.

wish I could tell you how they perform but I’ve only really used them as a step so far. We’ll see how they do in Moab next month.
Sponsored

OP
OP
irishtim7

irishtim7

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Guys, I'm tired AF. this EJS prep has got me.... add in the time change on top of that... I think I'm getting old.

I swapped out my rear axle shafts this weekend with Dana Spicer Chromoly shafts. That turned into a shit show. I had planned to do both front and rear this weekend but that went up in flames. What was supposed to be a 2 hour job turned into 6 on Saturday and another 2 on Sunday. Those damn things would not break free so I had to pry the shit out of them which inevitably f'd up the dust shields. Had to take apart one of the hand brake assemblies to try and reshape it. Fought with the little tension clips for God knows how long. Got it back together. Something's rubbing. 4 hours of massaging the dust shields and adjusting the hand brakes I finally got it sorted. I'd like to think I'm more mechanically inclined than the average Joe, but maybe I'm just a dumbass. IDK. :LOL:

Also got my Rancho glide plate stripped, re-coated and re-installed. Finally put my EVO exhaust loop skid back on. I had to modify it to work with the sliders because they use the same mounting point on the frame. I didn't snap any pictures of that, but if someone would like to see it let me know. I just notched the frame side mounting hole on the skid and slid it up under the slider mounting bolt.

I also did a little flex test to see if the 38's rub anywhere. Fronts are fine. There's room to spare up front. In the rear it's close. I wasn't able to get the Jeep any higher on this loose dirt mound to get the rear completely stuffed. The rear bump was at the extension pad but not compressed yet. If anything it may only need a half inch additional bump in the rear.

Front RCV's next weekend. Hopefully that's easier than the rear turned out to be.

IMG_4412.JPG
IMG_4405.JPG
IMG_4406.JPG

SpookyXJ

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sport S 2 door auto
Vehicle Showcase
Rigs lookin good.:like:

I really hate to hear the rear axles were difficult. I just ordered the same axles yesterday evening.

OP
OP
irishtim7

irishtim7

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rigs lookin good.:like:

I really hate to hear the rear axles were difficult. I just ordered the same axles yesterday evening.
Thanks. I hope your install goes smoother than mine.

Krondor

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL - Punk'n Edition
Build Thread
Link
Looking great Tim.

I was hoping to do the axle swap myself, but now I'm thinking I'll just have to pay someone more skilled than I to do it when I get my 4.88's. :facepalm:

Sponsored

OP
OP
irishtim7

irishtim7

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Looking great Tim.

I was hoping to do the axle swap myself, but now I'm thinking I'll just have to pay someone more skilled than I to do it when I get my 4.88's. :facepalm:
It really shouldn't be hard at all.... caliper off, caliper bracket off, rotor off, 4 nuts off and it should come out. You could at least give it a go first. If they are stuck and you don't want to mess with it, you could take it to someone then. It takes all of 15 minutes to put everything back together.

SpookyXJ

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sport S 2 door auto
Vehicle Showcase
If you want to do it yourself and have issues getting them out flip your rotor around thread on 3 or more lug nuts to decent thread engagement and use the rotor like a slide hammer. Also you could run to auto zone and borrow a slide hammer if their loaner counter does not suck.

Last edited:
OP
OP
irishtim7

irishtim7

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
If your want to do it yourself and have issues getting them out flip your rotor around thread on 3 or more lug nuts to decent thread engagement and use the rotor like a slide hammer. Also you could run to auto zone and borrow a slide hammer if there loaner counter does not suck.
I could have used this knowledge... :facepalm:

Krondor

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL - Punk'n Edition
Build Thread
Link
It really shouldn't be hard at all.... caliper off, caliper bracket off, rotor off, 4 nuts off and it should come out. You could at least give it a go first. If they are stuck and you don't want to mess with it, you could take it to someone then. It takes all of 15 minutes to put everything back together.
Watched a couple of videos and it "should be that simple." :CWL:

OP
OP
irishtim7

irishtim7

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
If you want to do it yourself and have issues getting them out flip your rotor around thread on 3 or more lug nuts to decent thread engagement and use the rotor like a slide hammer. Also you could run to auto zone and borrow a slide hammer if their loaner counter does not suck.
Ed - I owe you a six-pack. The rotor flip trick worked a treat on the front unit bearings. Mine were pretty well corroded in there. A big thanks to you, my friend!

Sponsored

TCogs1

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
cj6
Can You Overland in a 2 Door?

Good question. Here is my opinion on the matter after returning from my Colorado Adventure.

I've been camping off and on for most of my life. I love it. But, I'm relatively new to wheeling. I love that just as much. The Youtubes told me I could combine the 2 and be an OVERLANDER!!! Sweet. Sign me up. What's not to love, right? Combining 2 of my favorite things couldn't have any negatives right? Wrong. Surprisingly, I didn't really care for what they call Overlanding. Maybe I just don't have the right lift kit for overlanding. That very well could be the case. Maybe it was the 2 Door size? I don't know. What I do know is this; the dynatrac lift, if it has a shortcoming, is handling added weight.

Obviously, I have superior organizational skills. ;) This is me all loaded up and ready to roll. Gear for days. All 500 lbs of it. I don't know if that is considered a lot of added weight or not. For my rig and the way it's setup... it's a lot.
Jeep Wrangler JL Scout Trooper 2 Door Build IMG_4406.JPG

All that gear had me squatting pretty good. I only had about 2" off space between the bumpstop and the jounce bumper. Upon arrival to Colorado and driving on the dirt access roads to my AirBnB (plan was to stay 3 nights and overland the rest of the trip) I was bottoming the suspension out. I knew very quickly i may have to make some adjustments. After my stay, I loaded back up and headed to Ophir Pass. I camped at the trailhead and packed back up and headed out the next morning.

It made it but I had to travel super slow. Still bottomed-out numerous times. After Ophir, I headed up to Alta Lakes. Same deal.

All-in-all it just wasn't fun for me. All that added weight, the bottoming-out, the slow travel, the camp kitchen rattling around, the water sloshing around... Maybe this Overlanding just isn't my style. The other thing was making camp in the evening and then having to pack it right back up in the morning is a total pain in the rear. I can see the appeal of the RTT, but that's just 150-200 lbs more weight added. I can't imagine that. I don't know how the TrailRecon's and the OvrlndX's of the world do it. I found it cumbersome.

Maybe I could lighten the gear load. I'm most certain I could. I didn't even touch half the gear I packed. I could maybe shave off 100-150 lbs. Not sure that would make that much of a difference. I could add spacers in the rear to help alleviate the bottoming-out problem. I could get a larger lift with stiffer springs. Or, I could just not overland per se. I'm leaning towards just wheeling or just camping. If I do combine the 2, I would probably just base camp and stage out of one location. The packing up in the morning just really sucks. I still love the Dynatrac lift. The ride is great both on and off-road. It's done everything I've asked of it so far. I'm pretty reluctant to change that out.

Nice Jeep.. you have what i wanted.. but my kids got involved thus the green 4 door..

BTW: best 100 bucks i ever spent was on the airsprings.. https://www.airliftcompany.com/shop/60818hd/ My Maxxis stickies weigh ~140 each and I tow a M416 military trailer.. so the mopar tailgate reinforcer and the airsprings saved the day for me. no bottoming.. I run rubicon, dusy trail a couple times and no issues..
Sponsored