Sponsored

Scout EV possibly more competition for Jeep?

Bryce

First Name
Bryce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
GM is pushing its Ultium platform into every shape it can to try to get volume up to cover its costs.
Including into a Honda. There's no way I want a Honda built with a GM platform and GM parts bin parts. ICE/EV/whatever.
The poor Honda Engineer trying to put a positive spin on this.

NWJeepr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Rubicon XR
Including into a Honda. There's no way I want a Honda built with a GM platform and GM parts bin parts. ICE/EV/whatever.
The poor Honda Engineer trying to put a positive spin on this.
Ha! There have been GM cars with a Honda engine (Saturn, 3.5L), and GM cars that were rebranded Toyotas (Chevy Prism)... Toyota once sold the 3rd generation Chevy Cavalier under its marque in Japan, and now Honda gets their own GM rebrand of an Ultium platform.

I'm not a fan of modern Honda, I regard most of their stuff as generally cheap-feeling and a bit behind the times, so, who knows, this might be a boost.

Oncorhynchus

First Name
Moishe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara Sting Gray 3.6L
If it shares a platform with other EV vehicles maybe it could become a viable product for VW. Seems like Ford would be in better position to gain some market success by offering an electrified Bronco Sport than VW attempting to launch its own take on the Scout brand from scratch and then make it even tougher on themselves by deciding to go EV from the start.

Just another example that it doesn’t take a lot of street smarts to reach the upper echelons of major multinational corporations. The people making these decisions have totally lost their marbles.

pablo_max3045

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon
Occupation
Engineering project manager
If they weigh anything like the original scout then they will have a range of about a mile,🤣

They can call it what ever they want but it will never be a scout, just like the Bronco isn’t a real Bronco. I’ll admit that Jeep isn’t what it use to be but it has evolved over time, good with the bad. It has retained its basic look along with similar running gear. The Bronco is a new breed of vehicle with an old name just to drum up interest and the scout will be the same, except all electric, 🤮. Competition is good for everyone, driving down prices and the need for manufacturers to produce better products to stay competitive, but just because you put lipstick on a pig doesn’t mean the bacon will taste better.
Don't worry.. if it's anything like the original scout, it will have rusted out long before you reach that mile.

Sponsored

pablo_max3045

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon
Occupation
Engineering project manager
I think it would be smart to build an EV in this segment.
The majority of people who buy into this segment do not actually drive off road, so making sure you can "refill" on the trail with jerry cans is not really a concern for most buyers.

There are a lot of people who really want to own a big, offroad style SUV but are turned off either for the operational costs or the perceived environmental aspects, whether real or not.
"Going Electric" allows them to bypass these feeling and even pat themselves on the back for their "environmental stewardship".

If they do build it, it likely won't be until their partnership with Quantumscape bares fruit, which according to recent news should be reasonably soon. They are, apparently, starting low volume this year and high volume production in 2025.
Their solid state batteries certainly will make a major difference for both range and weight. Not to mention eliminating that pesky thermal runaway problem.
After a 1000 full cycles, there was almost no loss of capacity either, so 500k miles is realistic without degradation of the cells.
I would certainly buy one if they implemented vehicle to grid, so I can use it as a battery for my house.

Mgdstar

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Rubicon X, 2007 & 2008 Sahara Unlimited
"Going Electric" allows them to bypass these feeling and even pat themselves on the back for their "environmental stewardship"

Please don’t tell them it takes a lot of energy to charge all this batteries and that energy cost is going up and that energy, wherever it is produced, is putting the same amount of carbon in the atmosphere. Just let them ignorantly feel good.

NWJeepr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Rubicon XR
"Going Electric" allows them to bypass these feeling and even pat themselves on the back for their "environmental stewardship"

Please don’t tell them it takes a lot of energy to charge all this batteries and that energy cost is going up and that energy, wherever it is produced, is putting the same amount of carbon in the atmosphere. Just let them ignorantly feel good.
Actually, it allows them to meet emissions and PHEV/ZEV targets. But also, traditionally non-EV automakers would sell their souls to Satan to see the kind of success that Tesla has. Everyone wants a piece of it. Don't believe for a minute these companies actually give two poops about saving the earth.

The Last Cowboy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Willys 2 door
Occupation
Wandering Vaquero
There are all kinds of other soft money, grants, loan guarantees, abatements, tax valuation deferments, wage assistance, etc, etc, involved in anything dubbed green, including EVs. The manufactures are sopping up all the gravy they can while it's still on the plate. Don't believe a word that comes out of the mouths of the CEOs, publicists, media relations people, etc. Instead watch what they are doing.

They can't all be as stupid as they seem to be right now. My guess is that once all the subsidies are gone, it will be business as usual. It's absolutely insane to throw good money after bad on a continual basis. Well, maybe not so insane if it's not your money. So where is it the money coming from? Our taxes and the massive price increases on vehicles.

The thought process of the last 10-20 years or so has been the start up business model. Find investors, throw massive amounts of cash (cash burn) at something that couldn't gain traction otherwise, then wait for a buyer with deep pockets to come along and see if they can make it the next big thing.

So much money has been thrown at trying to artificially force a green revolution that it has caused a downward force on the financial sector. The cash burn concept is not working when it comes to the green (among others)agenda. It worked for a few years, things were bending their way, but now it's all beginning to fall apart. A healthy, vibrant economy depends on industry satisfying consumer demands. When products are made that don't satisfy consumer demands, they will, and should, fail. It's become apparent that the majority, perhaps the vast majority, of consumers in the US do not want an EV.

That having been said, it seems that VW/Scout either actually believes in the promise of an electric transition, or is taking advantage of all the incentives possible to build a new plant, and fully understands internally that the plant may very well be put to use to make vehicles with internal combustion engines at some point in the not too distant future.

Look at the industry. GM already has stated that their EV trucks will be converted to hybrids, Ford has cut EV production by 66% so that they can concentrate more effort on fulfilling demand for ICE trucks and SUVs, Toyota wont commit to electric, Stellantis has already backpedaled. My take is that these CEOs don't believe most of what they are saying. They are doing so in the interest of a favorable view from the governmental and financial sectors. So watch more and listen less is my advice. Actions have always meant more than words.

Last edited:

kylebw7

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Discovery, 392 Daytona, JK
A thousand hp quad motor ev suv would never be as cool as my 392. No competition. I will never drive an electric unless I’m forced to
Sponsored