Sponsored

Scout EV possibly more competition for Jeep?

Flip

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Wrangler Sport
Build Thread
Link
just because you put lipstick on a pig doesn’t mean the bacon will taste better.
Lol I remember that one, been awhile, reminded me: just because I can reach up a hogs a** doesn't mean I can pull out a ham sandwich.
Sponsored

The Last Cowboy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Willys 2 door
Occupation
Wandering Vaquero
I would buy an Ineos Greandier before even considering a VW Scout. If VW doesn’t develop a gas or diesel model, they wont make it. The timing couldn’t be worse to be bringing an all EV brand to market. The EV house of cards is beginning to fall.

Sponsored

JLRyder

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUS
When will manufacturers learn the off-road community is not ready or willing for electric vehicles? Hybrid, ok maybe..sure, but electric? How many ravin’s r2’s, new hummer h2’s, ford lightning’s did the world sell to convince these VW executives this is a good idea and to try this? Dumb and sad since scout was such an awesome brand.

yokramer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 JLR, '13 Juke Nismo, '88 10th Anny RX7
Itll make the Wrangler look cheap so no ... not competition really.

MK212MX

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler 80th Edition
If they weigh anything like the original scout then they will have a range of about a mile,🤣

They can call it what ever they want but it will never be a scout, just like the Bronco isn’t a real Bronco. I’ll admit that Jeep isn’t what it use to be but it has evolved over time, good with the bad. It has retained its basic look along with similar running gear. The Bronco is a new breed of vehicle with an old name just to drum up interest and the scout will be the same, except all electric, 🤮. Competition is good for everyone, driving down prices and the need for manufacturers to produce better products to stay competitive, but just because you put lipstick on a pig doesn’t mean the bacon will taste better.
So by your logic, when Chevy re introduced the Camaro it isn't a Camaro. The new Bronco is a different vehicle, just like your Jeep is a different vehicle than say a CJ. The Bronco is a Bronco still made by Ford.

Sponsored

Bryce

First Name
Bryce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
The most humorous take-away from the TFL video was Scout's thought that their output could be 200K annually or something like that. Over the course of 20 years (1960-1980), only around 1/2mil original IH Scouts were produced. Only 40K or so F150 Lightnings have been sold in 3 years. Shoot for the stars I guess, but I don't see it happening.
Jeep Wrangler JL Scout EV possibly more competition for Jeep? 1708522385463

IMHO, the typical EV owner does not want a big off-roader or a sports car, but a cheap city-car runabout.. basic transportation. This is what's not being delivered other than the Leaf and even it's crept up to around $30K now. Yes, there are niche groups that want these, but I don't see your typical EV owner as a "car guy".

Riverjeep

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
24 Rubicon, F-150
For us old guys who remember the first Land cruisers and Defenders another name comes to mind International Scout.
It looks like they Scout Motors which I believe is owned by VW is building one hell of a facility in South Carolina. I did not read the article yet but I hope they make more than just EV`s and possibly bring a little competition to the market.

https://www.motortrend.com/news/ele...raze&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=registered
Well, all the Jeeps will be electric only in a few years so that will fit right in. :LOL: 😝 Just kidding, I certainly hope not.

jeepingib

First Name
Dusty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18' JLUR Punk'n
Occupation
Mechanic
So by your logic, when Chevy re introduced the Camaro it isn't a Camaro. The new Bronco is a different vehicle, just like your Jeep is a different vehicle than say a CJ. The Bronco is a Bronco still made by Ford.
I disagree with your interpretation of his statement. When Chevrolet brought back the Camaro it was better than the previous version in every conceivable way. That is an evolution of the design and still true to the original. The Bronco lost capability in some aspects, and reliability by changing the design philosophy from a utilitarian solid axle to a IFS design.

imperial4ever

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1997 Jeep Wrangler Sport 4.0 Moss Green
Well, all the Jeeps will be electric only in a few years so that will fit right in. :LOL: 😝 Just kidding, I certainly hope not.
I remain skeptical about this. EV's have not been as well embraced as auto manufacturer's have hoped.
Sponsored