First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.tmgps.org
Vehicle(s)
2023 JLWS 6MT
TIL hi-lift jacks are also called farm jacks.
Sponsored

OP
OP
roaniecowpony

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Hey Charlie. I just saw this thread being brought to life. Thanks for letting me use your scissor Jack on the Rubicon last summer. I now also carry a good 4 ton bottle jack in my Jeep instead of just the stock scissor jack 🙄. You sure made changing my tire easier.

I did notice your scissor jack did sustain a significant torsional distortion while lifting a front corner of my 392, to the point that it was really hard to turn the screw for that last bit of lift needed. So, my question is, did the jack survive? When we screwed it back down has everything worked well after that? If I owe you a new jack just say so.

What are you using for a jack now anyway? Has the scissor jack remained your preferred trail jack?
😆 I bought a 1 1/2 ton Pro Eagle big wheel floor jack (their smallest), since Pro Eagle is about a mile away from me. I also found what I think is the maker of a famous Aussie brand of hydraulic bumper jacks and ordered a couple.

When I looked at where we were jacking your rig, it was not flat at all and was bending the scissor jack as it was raised. But it did survive and I've used it since. It was much easier on flat ground. 😆 I still carry it in the cubby. I like having at least two types of jacks in there. 3 is ok too. LOL.

OP
OP
roaniecowpony

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired Engineer

J.Ferreira

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.tmgps.org
Vehicle(s)
2023 JLWS 6MT

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Retired from Corrections....I have stories.
Do yourself a favor, walk out to your Jeep, pull the OEM jack out of the back of the Jeep and throw it in the trash. Save yourself a hassle and or an injury.

I recently used the OEM scissor jack. It was a big fail all the way around. I was in a level dirt parking lot.. I used it on the rear axle. I was able to lift the Jeep and get the rear tire off. The Jeep fell off the jack as I tried to put the spare on. I was being super careful to not shake the Jeep. The Jeep fell off the Jack, but landed inside of the wheel so It did not drop all the way to the ground. The rod with the hook on it that is used to turn the scissor jack was not strong enough and ended up twisting to the point that I could not operate the jack. I ended up borrowing an OEM bottle jack out of a Ram truck to change the tire. I did have to did a slight hole in the dirt parking lot to get the tire on to the alxe as it would not lift the Jeep high enough with the 37 in tire on it. I even let all the air out of the spare to gain to clearance. Something that would have normally taken me a few minutes turned into over an hour. Note I just arrived home from a trip and had pulled everything out of the Jeep to clean it and so I did not have my normal stuff with me.

I carry a 12 ton bottle jack with a Jack base. I am not a fan of Hi Lift Jacks. They are heavy and they are dangerous. Nothing worse than a flat tire and being injured trying to change it.

When off road, I jack up the Jeep, I put the Jeep in 4wd and set the parking and chock tires.

Sponsored

OP
OP
roaniecowpony

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Hey Charlie. I just saw this thread being brought to life. Thanks for letting me use your scissor Jack on the Rubicon last summer. I now also carry a good 4 ton bottle jack in my Jeep instead of just the stock scissor jack 🙄. You sure made changing my tire easier.

I did notice your scissor jack did sustain a significant torsional distortion while lifting a front corner of my 392, to the point that it was really hard to turn the screw for that last bit of lift needed. So, my question is, did the jack survive? When we screwed it back down has everything worked well after that? If I owe you a new jack just say so.

What are you using for a jack now anyway? Has the scissor jack remained your preferred trail jack?
These arrived today. Might be just what the doctor needs.
Seem to be well made. Powerful. Easy to lift 🙄 🤣

Jeep Wrangler JL Scissor Jack instead of farm jack? 20240130_150349

Opus

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jlwranglerforums.com
Vehicle(s)
2023 Sport S, 2021 Compass
Build Thread
Link

Sponsored

OP
OP
roaniecowpony

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired Engineer
But they are not called
Jeep Wrangler JL Scissor Jack instead of farm jack? 81OKO-AkHLL._AC_UF894,1000_QL80_
But they are sometimes called "cracker jacks" after the handle smacks the user's chin.

OP
OP
roaniecowpony

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired Engineer
OP
OP
roaniecowpony

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired Engineer
OP
OP
roaniecowpony

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Probably save some shipping on a group buy and doing slow boat shipping of a pallet of them. Might take a couple months, but the price might make it worth it.
Sponsored