Sponsored

School me on Shocks, please (Metalcloack related)

JeepVT

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURD
I'd love to understand more about the shocks on my Jeep.

I have a metalcloack Game Changers 3.5" lift with MC Rocksport shocks on my '21 JLUR Diesel with 37 KM3s. I don't hate the Rocksports, but I'm not sure if what I'm feeling is normal also.

I live in VT where we have shitty roads and shittier roads. My one negative observation with my suspension on-road is the Jeep feels harsh at speed over bumps larger than a road or bridge seam. On a dirt road with pot holes or washboard, for example, the ride is not very plush at speed. I feel like I am more rattled than comforted by my suspension. I realize lower tire PSI would help but for daily driving around here in VT, I'm not going to do that.

In this case, I'm assuming my shocks are not allowing enough compression quickly enough to absorb the force of the terrain/bump.

When offroad crawling, I'm not sure I can say I like or don't like how these shocks feel. I do find them to be a bit unsupportive when a tire rolls over a rock or into a depression. I get more body role than I did with my JK with an AEV lift. I wonder if that has more to do with the extra weight of my Diesel than the suspension.

In this case, I am assuming my shocks may not be able to withstand the downward weight of the jeep and I am going deep into my travel too easily. BUT...seems like that could be a result of my springs as well not being diesel specific springs despite Metalcloak claiming their standard spring was adequate.

What do you look for from a shock when crawling besides maximum travel up and down? Is resistance to body roll or going too deep into your travel a function of the shock or the spring )or not)

Has anyone drastically changed the feel of their suspension on-road or on rough dirt roads with new shocks?

I realize there is a lot going on to affect feel of a Jeep's suspension....caster, PSI, tire load, etc.

THanks!
Sponsored

Last edited:

jlang

First Name
JDawg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL Punk'D Rubicon
Occupation
Semi-Retired
I have the Rocksports on my Jeep currently. I am familiar with the ride quality and your observations are spot on. I also understand that ride quality is subjective but I believe these shocks are about on par for the price point in terms of what you are getting. The ride quality is mushy to me and comes with too much body roll resulting in a cockpit that isnt very confidence inspiring. My head and neck resemble that of a bobblehead doll when going over less than perfect terrain. I think the long travel of these shocks is the perk. I dont plan on spending over a grand on my next set (coming soon) and may just throw some Fox 2.0's on for comparison sake. I don't believe I have seen anyone running a Metalcloak lift with 2.0's but I am sure there are a ton out there.

Comments and feedback welcomed.

Last edited:

GATORB8

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURe
What are you bumped at, and how much height did you gain?

Let's say you only gained 2.5" since you're heavy, and it's full bumped with all 4", you'd be limited to about 2.25" of up travel before hitting bump stops.

What PSI are you running?

OP
OP
JeepVT

JeepVT

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURD
What are you bumped at, and how much height did you gain?

Let's say you only gained 2.5" since you're heavy, and it's full bumped with all 4", you'd be limited to about 2.25" of up travel before hitting bump stops.

What PSI are you running?
I'm running 32psi on road. Just got the 37 KM3s and need to try them lower. They are a lot softer than my E rated Maxxis tires I had before which where awful.

Running 2 bumps front and rear. I think I need 3 outback as I had some rub in the rear with my Maxxis, but they were a good inch bigger than my KM3s so may not need it......but travel is less my concern than overall feel on and off road.

AFdude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
392 Wrangler
I'm running 32psi on road. Just got the 37 KM3s and need to try them lower. They are a lot softer than my E rated Maxxis tires I had before which where awful.

Running 2 bumps front and rear. I think I need 3 outback as I had some rub in the rear with my Maxxis, but they were a good inch bigger than my KM3s so may not need it......but travel is less my concern than overall feel on and off road.
Any update on this? I just installed my 3.5" GC last week on 37" KM3s and the ride is a little harsh as well.

Sponsored

Moto_21

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport
Occupation
Maintenance
Vehicle Showcase
I can guarantee you its not the shocks creating the harsh ride its the springs, metalcloak has pretty stiff springs

OP
OP
JeepVT

JeepVT

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURD
Any update on this? I just installed my 3.5" GC last week on 37" KM3s and the ride is a little harsh as well.
I'm running 30psi for daily driving. I find it fine, but I still find the suspension somewhat unable to soak up bumps at speed. Its OK. I built my jeep main for trails, but I can see upgrading the shocks in the future for more control at speed.

Moto_21

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport
Occupation
Maintenance
Vehicle Showcase
Jeep Wrangler JL School me on Shocks, please (Metalcloack related) 8868FEDF-ABA1-46BC-B4A6-B1AAF2C3D575

too add to that heres spring rate examples. And for reference with coilovers you can get two different spring rates so my “ride rate” is only about 115lbs once im out of ride rate its 300 lbs

Moto_21

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport
Occupation
Maintenance
Vehicle Showcase
I'm running 30psi for daily driving. I find it fine, but I still find the suspension somewhat unable to soak up bumps at speed. Its OK. I built my jeep main for trails, but I can see upgrading the shocks in the future for more control at speed.
Just upgrading the shocks most likely will not make it any better, with higher performance shocks comes stiffer (usually) and 2.5” shocks are inherintly stiffer because the have to push more oil volume. Find softer springs that will keep your ride height and hold the weight, rock sports shocks are very very soft

AcesandEights

First Name
Aces
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Rubicon 2D, with extra guacamole
Occupation
I'm often occupied, by many things, often at the same time
Typically harsh ride is shock related, not spring related. Springs are designed to carry weight, shocks are designed "shock" dampers, meaning they control the "shock" of road imperfections. There are "few" shock manufacturers and thousands of shock rebranding companies. Most shocks are made by a few companies and everyone and their brother puts their own stickers on them.

Metal Cloak "probably" offers a rebranded generic shock, but I'm only saying that because that is the "norm" in the industry. They may have the tools and equipment to actually manufacture shocks, but it's not likely.

So, what I'm getting at, is your issue probably is shock related and you'll have to mix, match and experiment.

I will say this too, although it's tough on suspension parts (springs), you can drive around the block without shocks installed and see if the ride is softer. If it's the springs causing the issue, your ride will still be rough. Realize though that if you do this you "should" have a LOT of roll, dive, etc., to the point it may be dangerous.

Another thing is most people don't understand suspension, and although it isn't automobile-related, there are some really good motorcycle suspension books and articles that will explain compression and rebound damping, etc. That will give you a really good understanding of the basics.

Sponsored

OP
OP
JeepVT

JeepVT

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURD
Typically harsh ride is shock related, not spring related. Springs are designed to carry weight, shocks are designed "shock" dampers, meaning they control the "shock" of road imperfections. There are "few" shock manufacturers and thousands of shock rebranding companies. Most shocks are made by a few companies and everyone and their brother puts their own stickers on them.

Metal Cloak "probably" offers a rebranded generic shock, but I'm only saying that because that is the "norm" in the industry. They may have the tools and equipment to actually manufacture shocks, but it's not likely.

So, what I'm getting at, is your issue probably is shock related and you'll have to mix, match and experiment.

I will say this too, although it's tough on suspension parts (springs), you can drive around the block without shocks installed and see if the ride is softer. If it's the springs causing the issue, your ride will still be rough. Realize though that if you do this you "should" have a LOT of roll, dive, etc., to the point it may be dangerous.

Another thing is most people don't understand suspension, and although it isn't automobile-related, there are some really good motorcycle suspension books and articles that will explain compression and rebound damping, etc. That will give you a really good understanding of the basics.
Thanks. I mountain bike a lot and understand compression and damping. I just can’t translate as easily to the Jeep. I know when my ride is harsh things circuits are closed or air pressure is too high.

AFdude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
392 Wrangler
After talking to MC today I may have either some caster or axle centering issue. Hopefully that helps some. I have some wandering at highway speeds too.
This is both passenger and driver side. Aft bow.
Jeep Wrangler JL School me on Shocks, please (Metalcloack related) 08B55CAF-FF88-44A6-96A1-15725B7861A3

Hucke_250

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Unlimited Sport
Try adding some weight and see if that helps. I am running the AEV 2.5 Dualsport lift and it rode rough at first (it’s meant for a loaded down Jeep) I have Plastic bumper, side steps and soft top, so really light. It wasn’t until I installed a steel front bumper and added 2 50lb plates to the back did the ride smooth out. My Jeep drives like a dream when the family is riding with me.
Sponsored