School me on 5 tire rotation

CptFloridaMan

First Name
Gabriel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport 2.0
So, I just did a 5 tire rotation. I’ve done about 5.3k miles since mounting my kenda klever RTs, 35x12.5r17; a little higher than I wanted to but I had a trip planned and didn’t have time to do it.

Only issue is that now I’m getting a vibration around 70-75. It doesn’t seem to be in the front axle since the steering wheel isn’t shaking. But it’s definitely in the frame(i can feel my calf jiggling, super scientific way i know). So how likely is it that it’s just due to slight feathering of the front tires before moving them back versus a balancing issue?
Prior to the rotation I never had any sort of vibrations that would lead to me questioning the balance. Below is a photo of how it was rotated

Is it a matter of just drive a few hundred miles and let it wear back down?

Thanks,

Jeep Wrangler JL School me on 5 tire rotation 869FB5BE-527C-4A20-9826-415BDEB8F07F
Sponsored

jaymz

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon Unlimited
If the vibration started after putting the spare into use, I’d start by swapping it back to the carrier and see if the vibration goes away. It may not have been properly balanced to begin with, or possibly lost a weight somehow. In my experience, slight feathering is very unlikely to cause a balance issue. Noise would typically be the issue.

OP
OP
CptFloridaMan

CptFloridaMan

First Name
Gabriel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport 2.0
If the vibration started after putting the spare into use, I’d start by swapping it back to the carrier and see if the vibration goes away. It may not have been properly balanced to begin with, or possibly lost a weight somehow. In my experience, slight feathering is very unlikely to cause a balance issue. Noise would typically be the issue.
Gotcha, tomorrow when I see my dad at the shop i’ll swap the spare back to the carrier.
Should I move DF tire to PF, so that it’s a front to back 4 tire rotation? The tire that’s on the carrier was in DR, so I’d move the spare to DF.

jaymz

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon Unlimited
Gotcha, tomorrow when I see my dad at the shop i’ll swap the spare back to the carrier.
Should I move DF tire to PF, so that it’s a front to back 4 tire rotation? The tire that’s on the carrier was in DR, so I’d move the spare to DF.
I suppose you could. I’m of the old school train of thought and have always rotated tires front to back and never side to side. Main thing is to get the spare off of there and go for a test drive.

I don’t have any sort of science or reasoning other than that’s how my grandpa taught me to do it 40+ years ago. Considering that I’m a new enough Jeep owner that I’ve yet to rotate the tires, I need to kick that habit and go with a traditional 5 wheel rotation.

OP
OP
CptFloridaMan

CptFloridaMan

First Name
Gabriel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport 2.0
I suppose you could. I’m of the old school train of thought and have always rotated tires front to back and never side to side. Main thing is to get the spare off of there and go for a test drive.

I don’t have any sort of science or reasoning other than that’s how my grandpa taught me to do it 40+ years ago. Considering that I’m a new enough Jeep owner that I’ve yet to rotate the tires, I need to kick that habit and go with a traditional 5 wheel rotation.
It makes sense to me that the main issue would be the spare tire as it’s the only new variable. Will update thread tomorrow if it goes away. Worst case I just do an old school front to back 4 tire method my dad taught me, and just buy 4 tires instead of 5 and throw the spare in the rotation on the next set.

Sponsored

BDinTX

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon Recon, 2021 JLU Rubicon
I think the pattern you show in your image is a variation of the forward cross and is intended for is for a front wheel drive vehicle.

The pattern you should be using is a rearward cross or the 5 wheel variant (shown here).
Jeep Wrangler JL School me on 5 tire rotation 2D33E980-C64A-4A67-917B-67E4E5271780

The reasoning for this I was told is that you’re supposed to move the rear tires forward to allow them time to “rest” while going the same direction. Maybe you remember dragging a big eraser across paper over and over. The eraser loses the most material on the leading edge and deforms on the trailing edge.

All of your tread blocks are doing the same thing so I imagine the rotation pattern is more important with chunky AT or MT tires.

I’d try reversing your rotation back to The original picture positions and see if the shimmy goes away. If it does, try the rotation pattern I pasted in above.

For reference:
https://www.bridgestonetire.com/learn/maintenance/tire-rotation/

OP
OP
CptFloridaMan

CptFloridaMan

First Name
Gabriel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport 2.0
Update, it was definitely the spare tires fault. It was out of balance to begin with. Shop I mounted tires with didn’t mount them correctly also according to a buddy who was a tire guy at a costco for a few years saying it’s not clocked correctly.

But either way, spare had 2oz of weight, they spun it and it called for 3 more oz. While they were at it, the rest of the tires needed more weight too. Eventually I wanna do a road force balance to see if I can run less weight instead of 4-6oz.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
Update, it was definitely the spare tires fault. It was out of balance to begin with. Shop I mounted tires with didn’t mount them correctly also according to a buddy who was a tire guy at a costco for a few years saying it’s not clocked correctly.

But either way, spare had 2oz of weight, they spun it and it called for 3 more oz. While they were at it, the rest of the tires needed more weight too. Eventually I wanna do a road force balance to see if I can run less weight instead of 4-6oz.
@CptFloridaMan

Eventually......huh ........ you should have them balanced with a Road Force machine all the time... Shooting yourself in the foot not to do so..

You have Discount Tire stores that offer RF, all over Florida....

LOTS of places these days have Road Force machines... Don't settle/accept anything but Road Force Balancing,

OP
OP
CptFloridaMan

CptFloridaMan

First Name
Gabriel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport 2.0
@CptFloridaMan

Eventually......huh ........ you should not be have them balanced with a Road Force machine all the time... Shooting yourself in the foot not to do so..

You have Discount Tire stores all over Florida....

LOTS of places these days have Road Force machines... Don't settle/accept anything but Road Force Balancing,

Yup found one in Lake Worth that Im gonna head over there sometime, wanna try for January depending how work looks.

Trainman

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Jeep Willys 2dr
On my Willys I have always done a 5 tire rotation and have never realized any difference in road feel, or any vibrations. I do rotate mine every 3,000 miles mainly because of the Willys tires are more of an offroad tire them being a street tire and the wearing of these tires is much faster then a street tire. The first thing I would do in your case is have the spare re-balanced, but your rotation shows you put the spare on the right front and you said that no vibration was coming from the front end as far as you could tell. I have never ran 35" tires, but from what I read on this forum larger tires are always giving some problems, be it, rough ride, pulling, out of balance, etc., just the nature of the beast.
Sponsored