Scaffold for Hardtop storage and removal works great

ozzysjeep

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Orange 2018 2dr JL
I've been using this for a month. Great way to remove and store tops and doors.

BradWBlack

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sahara JLU
Just got my 2019 JLUS and I was literally thinking about how to take the top off safely. I actually have a very similar scaffolding from Harbor Freight that is currently holding several hundred pounds of Christmas Decorations off of the floor. When I try it I will let you know

Sponsored

Tug

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JL Rubicon
Quick question for those who are rolling the scaffolding around...

I have a 3/4" rubber mat on the floor of my garage and would need to roll the scaffolding over this to get into the garage. How well do the casters roll and from experience do you think this will be a huge pain?

Lastly has anyone hung doors under the shelf?

Thanks

OP
OP

maksiu

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Sahara
Are you doing it all yourself? How?

You could but most likely will beat up your top because its hard to balance unless you got arms like Kevin Durant. I seen a guy on youtube that did a 4dr by himself but he was built like Thor, LOL. Really two people needed to do the job without risk of scathing the top.

four low

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
My friends give me crap for all the "tools" I buy for projects and hobbies. Not so much when they want to borrow them though. This scaffold idea is a great one. Kudos. Just got back from Lowe's where I bought the Werner 6' setup. Weather is crappy up here south of Boston but I'm itching to switch tops. Just like this is a great idea, I'm also using another idea from these forums....the cheapo moving blankets that a bunch of folks got because they fit the back of the JLU cargo area also work perfect on this scaffold for the top!

IMG_0215.jpg

IMG_0214.jpg
What's that Boat Beauty under the white canvas ??

rubicon18

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLR
Kudos to the OP and everyone. that contributed. I recently sold my house and moved into an apartment with underground parking, but storing the hard top and other stuff was a chore last summer. I got the scaffold, added two shelves (around $75 for the pair at Home Depot), a couple of plant hooks for the doors, and I have a great storage area that I cover with a drop cloth to keep busybodies out. The parking garage is secure so I am not too worried about theft, but I keep the toolbox locked and tethered to the scaffold. No more running up and down the stairs to the apartment to get tools and other things I use regularly with the jeep, all in my "garage" along with beach items.

IMG_0055.jpeg

IMG_0060.jpeg

Sponsored

ExitLeft

First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Jeep Wrangler TJ
Vehicle Showcase
Kudos to the OP and everyone. that contributed. I recently sold my house and moved into an apartment with underground parking, but storing the hard top and other stuff was a chore last summer. I got the scaffold, added two shelves (around $75 for the pair at Home Depot), a couple of plant hooks for the doors, and I have a great storage area that I cover with a drop cloth to keep busybodies out. The parking garage is secure so I am not too worried about theft, but I keep the toolbox locked and tethered to the scaffold. No more running up and down the stairs to the apartment to get tools and other things I use regularly with the jeep, all in my "garage" along with beach items.

IMG_0055.jpeg

IMG_0060.jpeg
Absolutely great use of space!!:clap:

jdthird

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL Willys
Walmart now has it for 129 and free shipping. Mine will be here in 3 days, just placed the order... Mine will be a 4 door top, but for me it'll be easy since I'll use my garage ceiling hoist to lift it a few inches and drive the jeep out, then just lower it on this scaffolding. I don't have a good place to position the hoist to keep the roof out of the way long term, that's not a pain to get in and out of. When I had the Bestop softtop, and was going to keep that on all summer, I didn't mind the work to get my jeep into that far corner right against the wall, and remove the top once in the spring, and put back once in the fall. But since the Bestop soft top was an utter fail and I'm returning it, and will be removing and replacing the hard top much more often, that corner option just isn't feasible anymore. So I'm moving the winch to a more centered position so it's easy to get at and us, then just use THIS to move the top to the corner for storage...

Then I'll see if my welding will work to attach something to hold the doors, but I'm still not that confident in my welding skills yet so may just use some of the other ideas for that... :)

Thanks to the OP for this though - great idea and will make my storage a much simpler procedure!

Bswen

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sahara
Just placed my order from Walmart. Already up to $139. Crazy. Last week I was going to order. It showed $169 and free shipping from Walmart. Kept doing research looking around for cheapest price, came back to Walmart site and it was 219, then 239 later same day. Good thing for forum users to give updates when it goes back down!

corysal

First Name
Cory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler JLU Sahara
For me this is the best way to remove the hard top. The scaffold is nice and sturdy. Easy to move around and lock with the wheels. My wife is 5ft and she had no problem moving it on the scaffold with me on the other side. Thank you again to the OP and everyone who contributed.

MVIMG_20190612_213455.jpg

MVIMG_20190612_213517.jpg
Sponsored