Scaffold for Hardtop storage and removal works great

maksiu

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Sahara
Hi Guys I went to homedepot and bought the generic 6ft scaffold they sell and it works great for hardtop storage. Same price as the storage carts wood or metal only 200 dollars. I had the carts before for my old JKs but wanted something more sturdy since my JL is painted and didn't want to risk falling over. The best part is unloading the top is extremely easy since all you have to do is basically slide it back with minimal lifting. No lifting then twisting and laying it on the glass end like with the other carts. The footprint is identical to the carts they sell and the top sits very secure. I just went over a few times with packing wrap for good measure its rock solid. You can move it around with complete confidence. The platform also serves as a placed for the panels and i could see easily hanging the doors as well from the platform. I have a 3 car garage but I have allot of stuff so floor space is tight and with this setup I can easily move the top to sit over the bikes or leave it in front of the jeep and park the hood under it like they do with hoist storage.

thumbnail (1).jpg

thumbnail (2).jpg

thumbnail (3).jpg

thumbnail (4).jpg

thumbnail (20).jpg

thumbnail.jpg
Sponsored

zorro2032

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR, Punk'n Orange. Ford Flex,
Outstanding, That looks like a great solution, I was just about to purchase one of those dedicated wooden carts when I saw this. My garage "floods" in the spring do to being low and ground saturation, only an inch or so but thats enought to make those wooden carts a problem. I've been thinking of ways to be able to elevate it without a ceiling winch as thats not an option for me either. This may just be the ticket. When you figure out the door hanger situation please post more pics, I'd love to be able to use this a my total sorage platform for the doors as well.

UNC Rubicon

First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Billet Silver JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Hi Guys I went to homedepot and bought the generic 6ft scaffold they sell and it works great for hardtop storage. Same price as the storage carts wood or metal only 200 dollars. I had the carts before for my old JKs but wanted something more sturdy since my JL is painted and didn't want to risk falling over. The best part is unloading the top is extremely easy since all you have to do is basically slide it back with minimal lifting. No lifting then twisting and laying it on the glass end like with the other carts. The footprint is identical to the carts they sell and the top sits very secure. I just went over a few times with packing wrap for good measure its rock solid. You can move it around with complete confidence. The platform also serves as a placed for the panels and i could see easily hanging the doors as well from the platform. I have a 3 car garage but I have allot of stuff so floor space is tight and with this setup I can easily move the top to sit over the bikes or leave it in front of the jeep and park the hood under it like they do with hoist storage.

thumbnail (1).jpg

thumbnail (2).jpg

thumbnail (3).jpg

thumbnail (4).jpg

thumbnail (20).jpg

thumbnail.jpg
That 996... :involve:

Chocolate Thunder

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Awesome solution. But how did you physically manipulate the top from its position on the Jeep onto the scaffold? With the uprights positioned as they are I can’t figure out how you did that.

Sponsored

OP
OP

maksiu

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Sahara
Awesome solution. But how did you physically manipulate the top from its position on the Jeep onto the scaffold? With the uprights positioned as they are I can’t figure out how you did that.

The platform is this almost sandpaper type material anti skid so thats why I have the blanket over it just to make sure it doesn't scratch. If you put anything even like cardboard on top you could literally slide the top right on to the platform.

The platform is this almost sandpaper type material anti skid so thats why I have the blanket over it just to make sure it doesn't scratch. If you put anything even like cardboard on top you could literally slide the top right on to the platform if you wanted to. I went with the blanket just to make sure it wouldn't slide off and have some resistance as it was my first try. So initially both arms are outside of the uprights and you lift and slide the hardtop back end on the platform so its still on the jeep halfway and sitting on the platform at the same time. Then reach one arm inside in between the uprights and one arm outside and just move it all the way in. You are literally only needing to lift the top a inch or so just to prevent it from dragging on the platform or jeep. You can play with the height as its adjustable by maybe 2" increments to whatever is comfortable for you. It really cant be any easier and feel totally confident your not going to damage your top. I did it with my 70 year old father in law that just had heart surgery, it was our one nice day in Chicago so I wasn't going to miss out LOL. I added this pic to give you a better perspective of how it goes. I know how you feel I was thinking about doing this for a while and was nervous but its allot easier that the glass on the floor method.

thumbnail (5).jpg

Chocolate Thunder

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Got it! Thanks. I was picturing taking it off with the rear door open and the spare tire would be in the way. But you close the door with the glass open and really just slide it backward above the spare with minimal lifting. Right?

Thus seems like a great idea. It’s even mobile enough that you could break down the scaffold and take it with you to remove/store the hard top away from home if you wanted to, like at a camping area or vacation home

OP
OP

maksiu

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Sahara
Got it! Thanks. I was picturing taking it off with the rear door open and the spare tire would be in the way. But you close the door with the glass open and really just slide it backward above the spare with minimal lifting. Right?

Thus seems like a great idea. It’s even mobile enough that you could break down the scaffold and take it with you to remove/store the hard top away from home if you wanted to, like at a camping area or vacation home

Yes glass open to slide it back then close it to center the weight properly once its on the platform. Yes and the scaffold does break down to about 4" flat. I would much rather spend 200 on this then the carts. just wrap it for security like I did and you would be amazed how solid it sits and how easily it moves around when you need to move it. I was going to build a table or shelf like some other guys but didn't want to dedicate the foot print for a permanent structure.

Turfman

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-150
Vehicle Showcase

thumbnail (1).jpg

thumbnail (2).jpg

thumbnail (3).jpg

thumbnail (4).jpg

thumbnail (20).jpg

thumbnail.jpg
Looks great but how many toys does a guy need?

As many as he can get!

Sponsored

Georgew48

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited
Great idea. I just bought the same thing today at Menards for 168. I can also use it for other projects when the top is not stored on it. With the big casters it makes it easy to move the top around if I need too.

Ravager

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Unlimited Rubicon Granite Crystal Metallic Station Wagon
Vehicle Showcase
Looks good, and now I am wondering if there is a way to hang the doors off the bottom under the hardtop if they fit. Hmm..
Hook them to the outsides. Pretty neat.