Scaffold for Hardtop storage and removal works great

supamyk

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon 4xE
So for those that use the scaffolding, I have a question. Is this a method that can be used on a daily basis to take the top off and put back on? I ask because I can by a used toplift pro for like 450 bucks. But don’t know if it’s worth it because the scaffolding process is as easy as it sounds. Any input would be greatly appreciated. Also. It’s something I will be doing solo. Keep that in mind.
Sponsored

Tiger1

First Name
Tiger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUS, 2016 BMW 435
So for those that use the scaffolding, I have a question. Is this a method that can be used on a daily basis to take the top off and put back on? I ask because I can by a used toplift pro for like 450 bucks. But don’t know if it’s worth it because the scaffolding process is as easy as it sounds. Any input would be greatly appreciated. Also. It’s something I will be doing solo. Keep that in mind.
Daily hardtop removal? Buy the Toplift Pro. A couple hundred bucks difference isn't worth accidentally damaging your hardtop or back with that much activity. Just my opinion...

supamyk

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon 4xE
ok thanks!!! and by daily i meant 1 or 2 times a week. not as "daily" as it sounded.

Morbo101

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler sport s
Toplift for the win. I take it off every other week.

Sponsored

306overland

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1994 YJ, 2020 JLU Sahara Altitude(sold), 2023 JLUR
Just read through all 13 pages of this thread. I never thought of using the scaffolding and I have had one in my storage container for ten years. I will be setting this up for my hardtop removal/storage. Right now, it’s just sitting there so I may as well use it! If I am not happy I can explore other options. Thanks for everyone’s input! Cheers.

JLUSDIEM

First Name
Diem
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 RUBICON 4xe
if you can always get someone to help you, the scaffold idea is great. i did this at one point with my wife but after a while it became a nuisance waiting on her to get home. if you can get a TLP for cheap, i'd 100% go that route. at the time i couldn't find anything used near me so i went the racor ceiling hoist route.

Vinman

First Name
Vince
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon
I have a couple of sets of the bakers scaffolding and thought about setting the platform height on one set to fit the hardtop then cutting off the excess above the platform. Seems like it would be a lot easier to use if the scaffolding legs weren’t any higher than the platform.

Sam_Ca

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler
It can certainly be done solo , that’s one of the great features of this idea. I used the op’s advise
“Back glass open to slide it back over the spare , then close it to center the weight properly once its on the platform”. Lift the top with your back. I’m solo and in my 50’s It’s pretty easy.
Like a book it’s best to read theses threads starting from the beginning post 1 not page 8. I know this is very uncommon sense as it happens on most subjects in most threads.
Sorry mate, trying to picture the solo removal … when you say carry with your back dose it mean you go inside the trunk and stand up to lift with your back to the scaffold thanks for the the help!!

Sponsored

JLUSDIEM

First Name
Diem
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 RUBICON 4xe
Sorry mate, trying to picture the solo removal … when you say carry with your back dose it mean you go inside the trunk and stand up to lift with your back to the scaffold thanks for the the help!!
I had this scaffold option and unless you're a body builder and over 5'6", please don't attempt to carry this over to the scaffold. I tried this once and never again. its even harder to put it back on the jeep. its definitely a two-person thing.

Sam_Ca

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler
I had this scaffold option and unless you're a body builder and over 5'6", please don't attempt to carry this over to the scaffold. I tried this once and never again. its even harder to put it back on the jeep. its definitely a two-person thing.
Thanks mate you are the best,, is it easy enough for two people ?

JLUSDIEM

First Name
Diem
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 RUBICON 4xe
Thanks mate you are the best,, is it easy enough for two people ?
yea its easy enough. I had my wife help me and it was doable, one person a side. since you have those post that blocks you from going straight back on one lift, you have to lift it little by little. I ended up going the ceiling hoist route as my wife sometimes wasn't available.

Sam_Ca

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler
yea its easy enough. I had my wife help me and it was doable, one person a side. since you have those post that blocks you from going straight back on one lift, you have to lift it little by little. I ended up going the ceiling hoist route as my wife sometimes wasn't available.
Believe it or not the celling options is less expensive but don’t have the space in my garage … for me I am going to take it off/on once per year just to put the softtop. My wife is tiny and last time was very difficult for her to take it off she was about to drop it. Just to picture the process,
place the scaffolding as close as possible to the spare tire
Open the back window while tailgate door is closed
Lift the hardtop from each side and place part of it on the scaffolding
Slide the hardtop to the center
Close rear window

JLUSDIEM

First Name
Diem
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 RUBICON 4xe
Believe it or not the celling options is less expensive but don’t have the space in my garage … for me I am going to take it off/on once per year just to put the softtop. My wife is tiny and last time was very difficult for her to take it off she was about to drop it. Just to picture the process,
place the scaffolding as close as possible to the spare tire
Open the back window while tailgate door is closed
Lift the hardtop from each side and place part of it on the scaffolding
Slide the hardtop to the center
Close rear window
yup thats how you do it. I may or may not just break the bank and get the top lift pro. There's usually someone selling them locally that's much cheaper. but since you plan on keeping the top off for long periods of time, this is a fine solution. good luck.
Sponsored