Sponsored

Scaffold for Hardtop storage and removal works great

JeepinJason33

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2021 GCL, 1997 TJ, 1983 Chief FSJ
Clubs

Is there anyway possible someone can take the measurement between the support rails? I am trying to see if I can slide this over my 300zx. I can't tell from the posted dimension whether it is 72 or 74" Car is about 71" wide. Might try to make one out of wood if this will not work.
Sponsored

laroo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR 4xe
Is there anyway possible someone can take the measurement between the support rails? I am trying to see if I can slide this over my 300zx. I can't tell from the posted dimension whether it is 72 or 74" Car is about 71" wide. Might try to make one out of wood if this will not work.
Just measured distance between vertical rails underneath, 70.5".

JeepinJason33

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2021 GCL, 1997 TJ, 1983 Chief FSJ
Clubs

laroo, thanks so much! Unfortunately does not look like it will clear the 300zx... It is nearly 72" wide. I may try to make something out of wood. Just need to ensure it is not too wobbly. I inherited the 1990 300zx from my father (#23 delivered from the factory in the USA). He was the original owner, it only has 75k on it and is in near mint condition. Does not get driven much and it is not worth a ton but there is obviously sentimental value there and that is why I keep it.

decavolt

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU. Previously: 2016 JK, 1997 TJ.
It is so worth it though. Keep an eye on craiglist, I found my toplift pro for $300. And I would have paid 1k for it now that I have it.

There is a company that makes an addition device to an engine crane or something like that and apparently works very well, the crane+device comes to about $300 I believe
That last one you're referring to is called a Lange Hoist-a-cart. They look great, but are about $600 now. They were on the top of my list before I saw this brilliant DIY scaffold option. I have a short garage with a peaked roof, and mounting any kind of hoist to the ceiling is tricky and clunky. The Lange hoist cart is taller than I'd like, so this scaffold is perfect!

Last edited:

Sponsored

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport S JL 2-D
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Professional dancer/male stripper
That last one you're referring to is called a Lange Hoist-a-cart. They look great, but are about $600 now. They were on the top of my list before I saw this brilliant DIY scaffold option. I have a short garage with a peaked roof, and mounting any kind of hoist to the ceiling is tricky and clunky. The Lange hoist cart is taller than I'd like, so this scaffold is perfect!
Yeah but with the scaffold you still need to lift the top yourself.

decavolt

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yeah but with the scaffold you still need to lift the top yourself.
Yep, and I'm fine with that for $200. I only need to lift it slightly and slide it back, you don't have to lift and carry the full weight of the top.

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport S JL 2-D
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Professional dancer/male stripper
Yep, and I'm fine with that for $200. I only need to lift it slightly and slide it back, you don't have to lift and carry the full weight of the top.
Yeah I did this before. If you always have a second person it is really easy. But alone, not so much. Youll need blankets or towels to not damage it, and youll need to be careful with the pins.

The toplift pro is worth every cent. it takes no time to take it off/on and you enjoy your jeep a lot more. The scaffold wasnt for me in the end, but it might work for you.

decavolt

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yeah I did this before. If you always have a second person it is really easy. But alone, not so much. Youll need blankets or towels to not damage it, and youll need to be careful with the pins.

The toplift pro is worth every cent. it takes no time to take it off/on and you enjoy your jeep a lot more. The scaffold wasnt for me in the end, but it might work for you.
That's what I'm saying, the scaffold is perfect for me. I'm aware of that potential for damage - I've had wranglers for 20 years, taken the top off the JK and before that the TJ many times without any help from a hoist or a table/scaffold. The Lange hoist and the TopLift aren't the best option for my garage. Wish they were, and they're clearly well-made. But they're not ideal for me.
So this scaffold is a great solution. Do I need to be careful? Well, sure. But there isn't a scenario where I'm not going to be careful taking the top off.

Ochoa1801

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep 2018 sport S
Scaffold is a nice solution, you don’t need carry all the weight. You can do yourself. Of course always is better with seconds hands

Sponsored

drshaws

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Willys 6MT, 2015 Ody
Did the standard hangers mounted to the scaffolding but may end up just going back to traditional wall hanging the doors as it makes this storage option less stable and movable.

Anyone else have other suggestions for storing doors with scaffolding?

20190904_071740.jpg
Just saw this after going back through the whole thread. I'm also interested in stable door storage to pair with the scaffolding. I don't see weight being an issue - the scaffolding itself is rated to 1000 lbs or something.

drshaws

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Willys 6MT, 2015 Ody
Kudos to the OP and everyone. that contributed. I recently sold my house and moved into an apartment with underground parking, but storing the hard top and other stuff was a chore last summer. I got the scaffold, added two shelves (around $75 for the pair at Home Depot), a couple of plant hooks for the doors, and I have a great storage area that I cover with a drop cloth to keep busybodies out. The parking garage is secure so I am not too worried about theft, but I keep the toolbox locked and tethered to the scaffold. No more running up and down the stairs to the apartment to get tools and other things I use regularly with the jeep, all in my "garage" along with beach items.

IMG_0055.jpeg

IMG_0060.jpeg
PSA/FYI - If you get the newer MetalTech SafeClimb model from Home Depot, it has non-slip, squared side rungs (with the little nubs on top to boot). Very cool/much safer than just round rungs.
HOWEVER, those new square rungs do NOT work with the MetalTech shelf. Lesson learned. MetalTech confirmed the new model is not compatible, and they're working on an updated shelving version.
Definitely a bummer - because the hard top is already off and secured to the scaffold.:headbang:

prototyp3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 BMW i3 REX, 2019 Wrangler Sport
I had the scaffolding already, figured I'd give it a shot..

It was pretty easy to do solo on the 2 door. You really only need to lift it up and move it about 12 inches until you can set the back edge of the hardtop onto the scaffolding shelf. With a blanket on the shelf you can then slide it back.

Thanks for the idea OP!

JohnD170

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 VW GTI (Mk VI); 2021 Granite Crystal Rubicon
I think I might go with this idea. Looks simple and won't break the bank!!
Sponsored