Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport S JL 2-D
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Professional dancer/male stripper
Does anyone park their Jeep under one of these in their garage and could please help take a measurement to see how much space is needed, from the edge of the hard top to the end of their rear mounted tire? Any pics would be appreciated!!

Wondering if we’ll be able to still park a JLUR under this daily and still fit into the garage. I’d really hate to have to drop $1k on a Toplift Pro.

Many thanks to whomever can help!!
It is so worth it though. Keep an eye on craiglist, I found my toplift pro for $300. And I would have paid 1k for it now that I have it.

There is a company that makes an addition device to an engine crane or something like that and apparently works very well, the crane+device comes to about $300 I believe
Sponsored

oldmannewjeep

First Name
Malcolm
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU
Any chance you could measure from the back of the hard top on the scaffolding all the way to your back tire when the Jeep is parked in front of this???

I’d love to see if this will fit into our garage and still allow us to park!!!
I measured it to just a hair under 20'; my setup like this works great. I love the way I can move the scaffolding, with the hard top on, around as I need to; very flexible arrangement.

David P.

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
I measured it to just a hair under 20'; my setup like this works great. I love the way I can move the scaffolding, with the hard top on, around as I need to; very flexible arrangement.
Thank you SOOO much for taking the time to help measure!!! You are so awesome!!!

cmb13

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Has anyone tried using a high quality auto jack to lift the top then roll it back onto the scaffolding? Just wondering as I would have to do this solo.

gqgambler

First Name
S
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Bright White Moab
Has anyone tried using a high quality auto jack to lift the top then roll it back onto the scaffolding? Just wondering as I would have to do this solo.
I have some ideas to try and move this solo, I'll let you know what works best. I think its doable with the right set-up.

Sponsored

1911addict

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Wrangler Sahara Unlimited JL
Op...no offense, but the scaffolding might be neat. Let’s talk about the bikes below the top.

Holy #*&$ dude, they are awesome...and all is can really make out is the Ducati.

john_k

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JLUR, '12 GTI DSG, '13 MX-5 GT 6MT, '16.5 CX-5
The 4 feet wide is to small make sure you get the 6ft first one you have above and you can park right under it. Like the guys do with the hoists.
Thank you so much maksiu (and other thread contributors). Great idea.

Just got back from the store across the road with the 6' Metaltech I-CISCH1!

The beers are chillin' for this evening's assembly project.

https://www.metaltech.co/products/6-high-utility-scaffold/

Edit/Update: link above now no good, try: https://www.metaltech.co/product/jobsite-series-safeclimb/

Jeep Wrangler JL Scaffold for Hardtop storage and removal works great Metaltech I-CISCH1

Last edited:

laroo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR 4xe
Thank you so much maksiu (and other thread contributors). Great idea.

Just got back from the store across the road with the 6' Metaltech I-CISCH1!

The beers are chillin' for this evening's assembly project.
Ha, if it's anything like mine was to assemble, it'll be a half beer job.

john_k

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JLUR, '12 GTI DSG, '13 MX-5 GT 6MT, '16.5 CX-5
Ha, if it's anything like mine was to assemble, it'll be a half beer job.
Super easy assembly, but as you learn in life, always tell the wife two beer minimum no matter the difficulty or the time involved.

gqgambler

First Name
S
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Bright White Moab
so as promised I gave it a shot with the scaffolding by myself.

My conclusion is this is 100% doable as a solo project. Just takes time and patience. I "borrowed" a set-up from my father-in-law, grabbed some furniture pads and went at it. I originally wanted it to sit up high so no one would bump their head but when attempting to take off the top from inside the jeep it was just too cumbersome. So here is what worked.

Line up the scaffolding shelf height at the height of your hard top bottom. The spare prevents the scaffolding from hitting the jeep.
Jeep Wrangler JL Scaffold for Hardtop storage and removal works great 43BDC312-38E4-4F04-8482-6DE361D41D3F

I slid some furniture pads under each side to help it slide easily and avoid scuffing things up. then I put a furniture pad on top of the scalfoldding shelf. I then went back and forth to each side picking up the hardtop edge and sliding it back onto the scalfoldding shelf. Once you've moved it back several inches the front edge of the hard top will catch on the speaker bar and antenna so you'll need to be able to lift it up a bit higher over that.
Jeep Wrangler JL Scaffold for Hardtop storage and removal works great 228034EA-DA73-4440-9E8B-A8DD58FD66B0

Otherwise the whole time you are just lifting up a few inches and sliding back several inches, alternating sides as you go until it's complete off the vehicle.
Jeep Wrangler JL Scaffold for Hardtop storage and removal works great DA626F9C-7AC5-4A0A-B495-0891B0B3B780

Once I got into a rhythm and found how far I could move it back it was easy.

As for parking, even with the lower height than I wanted I can still park the jeep under it (although I'll be parking a car under it for now until I get the garage cleaned up and everything where I want it to be.

As for measurements for those that are curious, I tried parking both front in and back in. I've got a stock Moab on stock tires with a steel front bumper. Got it as close to the scaffolding I was comfortable and measured. The back of the hardtop is sitting a few inches over the edge of the scaffolding and the hardtop itself is about an inch away from the wall.

Front in parking from the back wall to spare tire measures ~18.5ft
Jeep Wrangler JL Scaffold for Hardtop storage and removal works great B4AF31EA-A9F2-4E87-A3E4-AD8143FC7767

Back in parking to the front bumper measures approximately 19ft.
Jeep Wrangler JL Scaffold for Hardtop storage and removal works great 92F22428-6053-4E06-BDC7-5ABFDB4CDEA8

Is this some work, yes. But for someone that takes the top off a few times a year this is easy enough and more cost effective (especially if you can get it for free). I didn't try to put the top back on from the scaffolding, but imagine it would be just as easy. I'll report back when I do as I need to take it in for inspection soon.

Last edited:

Sponsored

gqgambler

First Name
S
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Bright White Moab
I was able to shave another foot off my set up and measured 19ft or less depending on which way I parked.

gqgambler

First Name
S
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Bright White Moab
This looks GREAT.. As a new Jeep owner of a 2020 Sahara with dual top group I was looking for this solution.
Question, Can I nose the jeep engine compartment under the scaffold / hard top???
Enough width?
Too snug of a fit to try and you would have to raise the shelf of the scalfoldding pretty high to ensure nothing scratches your hood. I would get as close as I can, but wouldn't try to go under it.

Catiajockey

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon unlimited
again, OP is genius. I had built a U shaped cart back when I had my JKU. Problem was that it took up so much space when not in use. This however could even be useful in other ways. Damn, forums are just awesome. I take that back, people are awesome. Thanks for sharing this

Rico1111

First Name
Rico
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon 2 door JL
Thank you to the OP ...I used his idea also, worked like a charm...bought the scaffold from Harbor freight on sale! It made the ability to remove and store the hardtop painless and cheap. I was going to purchase the toplift but I had an uneasy feeling about leaving it suspended by two arms(I'm sure it was designed to do just that and does it well) my ocd would never let me sleep at night!! thinking about it crashing to the ground in the middle of the night!! lol I Also use it to store my soft top in the original box it came in during the winter months.
Sponsored