Scaffold for Hardtop storage and removal works great

corysal

First Name
Cory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler JLU Sahara
Does it take two people to remove the hard top with the scaffolding solution, or can one person go back and forth, side to side and remove it?
So Sorry for the late reply! Last week I did it by myself but I honestly do not recommend it. I sumo'd it by lifting in the center cargo (really awkward and kind of wobbly) and moved a couple inches on the scaffold (I'm only 5'7). I removed the spare tire to get the scaffold closer too. Then literally went back and forth on each side moving it back and forth, however at one point I thought I bent the hard top doing so because it was so heavy. Luckily after finally getting it on the scaffold, nothing was broken. Moving forward I am definitely asking the wife for help.

edit. It can be done in person if you have the strength. I'm just kinda weak. XD
Sponsored

PaulJinVt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
Last night we went to Harbor Freight and bought the staging for this, thanks for the great idea!

Schism75

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18’ JLU SAHARA
I picked up the Franklin Scaffold from Harbor Freight this morning. What a freakin’ awesome way to remove hardtop. No more shoddy hoist systems for this guy. My wife helped me and it was ridiculously simple. Lift an inch and slide about a foot with glass open. Placed a H.F. blanket underneath to avoid scratches. The Scaffold is VERY simple to assemble and break down. Super sturdy! I had more trouble assembling my soft top afterward. Should of watched the damn video. Thanks to the O.P. your a genius!

SpeedKills

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sport S 2-Door, 2008 Rubicon 2-Door,2014 Ram 1500, 2013 CRF250L
For those sliding the top from the back of their JL, do your Jeeps tops not have locating pins? The bottom of my 2- door top has four built-in locating pins that slip into holes in the tub. I broke one of them the first time I removed the top.

Schism75

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18’ JLU SAHARA
Just took a peak and have 4 pins on the 4DR top. Didn’t notice the pins and thanks for the heads up. The top did move pretty good on the movers blanket.

Sponsored

rnocon

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JL Wrangler Rubicon
Jumping in as well...just purchased the scaffolding at Tractor Supply - on sale for Labor day @ $149 - looking forward to implementing this solution. Thanks OP!

rnocon

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Did the standard hangers mounted to the scaffolding but may end up just going back to traditional wall hanging the doors as it makes this storage option less stable and movable.

Anyone else have other suggestions for storing doors with scaffolding?

20190904_071740.jpg

Sponsored

Rockit73

First Name
Bobby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sprt S, 02 Night Train, 2016 F6B
Does it take two people to remove the hard top with the scaffolding solution, or can one person go back and forth, side to side and remove it?
I do it by myself. Worked better than having my gf help me. I just get inside, push the top up to get the pins out, move a couple of inches towards the scaffold, set down. Lift again and get it started onto the scaffold. One more time to get the whole thing on.

rnocon

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Agreed...much easier with 2 people but possible with 1 person! Ideally, wire up some contraption that can just lift the top up 2 inches, pull the jeep out and roll scaffolding underneath and roll away for storage.

firemk

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited Sport S (Punk'n)
After seeing the post, I decided to use the scaffold. Bought a 6 ft wide scaffold at Home Depot. Placed an old blanket over the ruff surface on the platform. I added to the above ideas. I took 3 - 6 ft pieces of 1" PVC....put one under top about midway, one towards the back, and one on the scaffold. The PVC raises the top pins up to clear. With one person on each side, it basically rolls on and off. Just watch the back glass and open it to clear each way. Once the top is back in the proper position on the Jeep, lift just enough to remove the PVC pipe and lower the pins into the holes and put the bolts back in.

The top seemed to be stable on the scaffold but I put a towel over the top and ran a strap across it just to be sure it didn't shift while I was moving it. Since I had a blanket over the platform, I just placed the front panels on it under the top.

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport S JL 2-D
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Professional dancer/male stripper
can anyone post a video of them sliding the top off onto the scaffold? I am thinking about going this way, I am sick and tired of driving with the top. My wife is strong for a gal but she is tiny as hell and cant help me. Ive been taking it off by myself but last time I did it I woke up with terrible back pain.

This is still $200 so I dont dont if it is worth it or better to just spend $1000 on the real thing.

Schism75

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18’ JLU SAHARA
can anyone post a video of them sliding the top off onto the scaffold? I am thinking about going this way, I am sick and tired of driving with the top. My wife is strong for a gal but she is tiny as hell and cant help me. Ive been taking it off by myself but last time I did it I woke up with terrible back pain.

This is still $200 so I dont dont if it is worth it or better to just spend $1000 on the real thing.
I don’t have a video but I can say it is manageable for you and your wife. My Bride is 5’ 8” and I’m 6’ 2” and it was a smooth transition to the Scaffold. We both grabbed the “B” Pillar corner with one hand and the other on the rear of hardtop bottom. Then lifted about 2” up and slid back about 1 1/2’ feet back onto Scaffold with blanket on Scaffold shelf to protect bottom of hardtop. I would suggest a small step stool for your lady so you both are level. I’m putting mine back on tomorrow.
Sponsored