Scaffold for Hardtop storage and removal works great

Sam_Ca

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler
yup thats how you do it. I may or may not just break the bank and get the top lift pro. There's usually someone selling them locally that's much cheaper. but since you plan on keeping the top off for long periods of time, this is a fine solution. good luck.
Thanks Bro….
If you didn’t complete your celling hoist, this is good DIY works well with power hoist…
Sponsored

Attachments

Nitehawk92

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 JLU Reign Rubicon 14 Mazda, 22 Hyundia Santa Fe
Just read through all 13 pages of this thread. I never thought of using the scaffolding and I have had one in my storage container for ten years. I will be setting this up for my hardtop removal/storage. Right now, it’s just sitting there so I may as well use it! If I am not happy I can explore other options. Thanks for everyone’s input! Cheers.
I plan on using a soft top for half the year and a soft top for the other half. This would work well. As echo'd before, I wouldn't use the method for frequent swapping of the top...

Schism75

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18’ JLU SAHARA
I just used the scaffold the other day and was able to remove the hardtop solo with no issues. It’s a very useful tool for my seasonal swaps and stows away nicely in the garage until late fall.

Nitehawk92

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
For those of you who use the scaffolding, do you have any connection(s) to the ceiling to keep it from tipping? Or is the weight on the scaffolding enough to keep it from tipping. Due to space restrictions in my garage I would probably end up having to place it really close to the wall. I would think if you could leave the scaffolding a foot or two from the wall and slide the top farther back to the wall it would be more stable? Is that a possible issue?

john_k

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JLUR, '12 GTI DSG, '13 MX-5 GT 6MT, '16.5 CX-5
For those of you who use the scaffolding, do you have any connection(s) to the ceiling to keep it from tipping? Or is the weight on the scaffolding enough to keep it from tipping. Due to space restrictions in my garage I would probably end up having to place it really close to the wall. I would think if you could leave the scaffolding a foot or two from the wall and slide the top farther back to the wall it would be more stable? Is that a possible issue?
LOL, I read the words "space restrictions" and had to chime in here. In can't say enough about how perfect this solution is for me with both a seasonal hard-top storage and soft-top storage solution all-in-one.

It even allows for the nose of the of the other top-configurable vehicle to cram its snout in underneath. I don't fasten the scaffold to anything, I just lock its sturdy built-in wheel brakes.

Thanks again to the OP and others for posting pictures of this IMO ingenious solution.

fjXw7j2h.jpg

Jeep Wrangler JL Scaffold for Hardtop storage and removal works great KQUt8nph

Jeep Wrangler JL Scaffold for Hardtop storage and removal works great g3rIV22h

Jeep Wrangler JL Scaffold for Hardtop storage and removal works great OPGvRtYh

Jeep Wrangler JL Scaffold for Hardtop storage and removal works great rAeKh37h

Last edited:

Sponsored

Schism75

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18’ JLU SAHARA
Nope. I counter balance the top by leaving the rear window up while rolling it close to the desired spot. After I lower the window it sits tucked to the back of my garage with standard height ceiling until November. Definitely use a blanket or towel under it and center the weight on the platform. Watch for those plastic guide pins underneath as well when shifting the top into position.

john_k

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JLUR, '12 GTI DSG, '13 MX-5 GT 6MT, '16.5 CX-5
...Definitely use a blanket or towel under it and center the weight on the platform. Watch for those plastic guide pins underneath as well when shifting the top into position.
Absolutely. Try to use many "little lifts" as opposed to "drags" when working with your helper navigating your hands and arms around the uprights of the scaffold, and especially when re-installing the top on the Jeep.

Jeep Wrangler JL Scaffold for Hardtop storage and removal works great ElPdm3Lh

Nitehawk92

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hi Guys I went to homedepot and bought the generic 6ft scaffold they sell and it works great for hardtop storage. Same price as the storage carts wood or metal only 200 dollars. I had the carts before for my old JKs but wanted something more sturdy since my JL is painted and didn't want to risk falling over. The best part is unloading the top is extremely easy since all you have to do is basically slide it back with minimal lifting. No lifting then twisting and laying it on the glass end like with the other carts. The footprint is identical to the carts they sell and the top sits very secure. I just went over a few times with packing wrap for good measure its rock solid. You can move it around with complete confidence. The platform also serves as a placed for the panels and i could see easily hanging the doors as well from the platform. I have a 3 car garage but I have allot of stuff so floor space is tight and with this setup I can easily move the top to sit over the bikes or leave it in front of the jeep and park the hood under it like they do with hoist storage.

Do you have enough Motorcycles???

Pinion

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1971 FJ40, 22 Rubicon Unlimited
Occupation
Project Manager
I just bought one of these this morning. Price jumped up a bit, but still worth it.

It fits between the fenders of my 40 with about an inch to spare on either side.

Jeep Wrangler JL Scaffold for Hardtop storage and removal works great 20220424_223846

I wanted to be sure that I purchased this version because of the corner supports on the cross bars. The versions that run the diagonal supports definitely would not clear the fenders. I have a few inches to spare under the garage door opener as well. Right now I have the box for my soft top on there.

Jeep Wrangler JL Scaffold for Hardtop storage and removal works great 20220424_223809

I'm stoked about this and glad someone worked this idea out. This works out huge for me as well because I can use the scaffold in a few weeks to work on the ceiling of my front porch.

The box *will* fit into the JL 4 door, but I had to move the driver seat way forward.

Last edited:

Slowpoke

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Moab Silver 2018
Occupation
Yes
Makes a great place to store the freedom panels and other stuff too

Sponsored

utjmac

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL Unlimited 392
FYI, if you guys go to get one of these during memorial savings @ HD they are down to 219 from what they say is $298 price. I'm dragging my feet on getting my hardtop off and afraid I'm missing all these nice days. I think I'll grab one of these from HD today and work on a solution to hang the doors off the sides as well. Get those tops off!

Wjsan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Rubicon Granite
FYI, if you guys go to get one of these during memorial savings @ HD they are down to 219 from what they say is $298 price. I'm dragging my feet on getting my hardtop off and afraid I'm missing all these nice days. I think I'll grab one of these from HD today and work on a solution to hang the doors off the sides as well. Get those tops off!

I don’t even have my Jeep yet(supposedly in trim) and I ordered mine last night. Should be delivered 5/26

LuvHydro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUS Hella , 22 JLUSS Hydro
I got mine last week at Menards for $259 - $28.50 rebate, so $230. Got it put together and ready to get Hazel fully naked for the first time this weekend.

I'm thinking I will lightly ratchet strap the top to the scaffolding just for my peace of mind and roll it in the corner for safe summer keeping.

I looked at all the various winch systems, both electric and manual and even considered designing my own. But in the end, I feel the scaffolding was the right choice for me.

Jeep Wrangler JL Scaffold for Hardtop storage and removal works great 20220525_220615

Last edited:

tinodm

First Name
Tino
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Hi Guys I went to homedepot and bought the generic 6ft scaffold they sell and it works great for hardtop storage. Same price as the storage carts wood or metal only 200 dollars. I had the carts before for my old JKs but wanted something more sturdy since my JL is painted and didn't want to risk falling over. The best part is unloading the top is extremely easy since all you have to do is basically slide it back with minimal lifting. No lifting then twisting and laying it on the glass end like with the other carts. The footprint is identical to the carts they sell and the top sits very secure. I just went over a few times with packing wrap for good measure its rock solid. You can move it around with complete confidence. The platform also serves as a placed for the panels and i could see easily hanging the doors as well from the platform. I have a 3 car garage but I have allot of stuff so floor space is tight and with this setup I can easily move the top to sit over the bikes or leave it in front of the jeep and park the hood under it like they do with hoist storage.

Jeep Wrangler JL Scaffold for Hardtop storage and removal works great 20220525_220615

Thanks OP!
I just got mine, is there a video of someone or you taking it off or on? My wife will be helping me and I'm a little nervous lol

LuvHydro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUS Hella , 22 JLUSS Hydro
Thanks OP!
I just got mine, is there a video of someone or you taking it off or on? My wife will be helping me and I'm a little nervous lol
It is so super easy and the top is not heavy.
I just set up the scaffolding about an inch lower that the top and rolled it up as close as I could.

We had a 3rd person, but not needed at all.

It looks like it will be front heavy, but if you grip it at the front and back of the windowed part, its kinda balanced.

Literally a 15 second move, up, back, down, done.

And I'm luving a can roll it around the garage.
Sponsored