Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR in Punk'n Orange
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Turn Wrenches/ Write code
Are those Incandescents on a Rubicon?

Technically, shouldn't the driver have gone slower to avoid forcing the water to go higher up on the vehicle and force more water into the engine bay? Or was sending it the way to go with that one?

Is it possible that this Jeep owner, despite making it on that one, is going to experience problems related to that maneuver later?
Nope. Standard water crossing. Maybe they could have gone a little slower. That's how to execute a long, mildly deep water crossing: Even throttle, build up a good bow wave, keep it moving.

If they had gone in 2nd or 3rdr gear pinging the rev limiter and made a huge splash, that could have caused problems for them. Years ago a former club member thought it would be fun to hit a shallow, long mud puddle on a dirt road; the water got sucked into the intake on his early JKU and hydro-locked his engine. He came out on the end of a strap from his uncle's Kia Sorrento. Mopar replaced his engine but not without a fight. They basically told him "You get one, don't come in here again because your warranty is void"

Tank the Jeep

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Rubicon Diesel
I have pushed that much water with my old JK. The only thing that had problems was my superwinch. The winch did not survive.

Willysfan

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Wrangler Willys
Occupation
Machinist
Clubs

I pretty much had to do the same thing here in San Luis Obispo. Our house got evacuated and I had to get thru to get my wife and the dogs out. Thank god for Jeep!!!

OP
OP
the_jeepeo

the_jeepeo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon
I pretty much had to do the same thing here in San Luis Obispo. Our house got evacuated and I had to get thru to get my wife and the dogs out. Thank god for Jeep!!!
I know, he looked desperate:CWL:

Sponsored

Dan M.

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 sport (2 door)
Looks perfectly executed to me, but in general water fording like that shouldn't be done unless absolutely neccessary. Like others have said you don't know what is under the water especially in a flood situation where debris could have been pulled downstream.

Recoil

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 80th Anniversary JLU
As others have said, I think they should have gone slower, but probably for a different reason. The wave he made could have caused damage to other's property. They can break glass and push cars around among other things. It doesn't look like the water was high enough to do it in the video, but it's a thing that happens. Also you just don't know what's in the water.

I'm all for getting the jeep wet, but this was kinda boneheaded. Just my two cents.

Sponsored

five9dak

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bikini '20 JL Freedom, '99 Dakota R/T, '97 Boxster
Speed was perfect. Water didn't go over the hood.

I've had water come over the hood of my TJ (just barely.) That will get your attention.

blessidsoul12

First Name
Jordan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 billet silver JLUR, 2019 chevy suburban
Loved the vid! Reminds me of that old video of that earthquake aftermath where that old built CJ just drives the hell right over all the cracks and rubble while onlookers just stare...

And maybe someone has brought it up, but rubi wheels and high front fenders don't make it a rubicon. I'm suspicious that's not actually a rubicon...