Sponsored

Say hi to the 2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU

Dackel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 JKU, Ram 1500
One way to do it -increase the length of the vehicle (which already seems to have happened with the longer hood and trunk). The rear wheel arch would be displaced slightly farther from the rear seats. Of course wheelbase would also increase this way so not sure what is the best trade off. Good thing I never sit back there. My rear seats are used mostly for storage and the occasional passenger.

I agree the rear seats are not really meant for adults.
Sponsored

Otto

First Name
Otto
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler Sport (JK)
Camouflage definitely does its job when it comes to hiding body lines. Only after seeing the leaked images do I spot that new body line underneath the windows on the prototypes.

You can see it in this one for example

Jeep Wrangler JL Say hi to the 2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU {filename}

JJ75

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 JKU
Camouflage definitely does its job when it comes to hiding body lines. Only after seeing the leaked images do I spot that new body line underneath the windows on the prototypes.

You can see it in this one for example

Good eye. This pic also gives a very clear look at where the front fenders end - just like the leaked official images.

Alvin R

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cherokee
Plenty of reliable sources have said that the 3-piece hardtop will remain on the JL wrangler and others have said the top will be removable in panels. My guess is that there will be a 3-piece top just like the one we have now except the top will have removable panels for a quick-open top option and will leave behind a cage-like structure over the roll cage. My guess is that these panels will store in the trunk area. Then, if you want to remove the entire roof then you can do so by lifting up the entire hardtop with the panels included, leaving behind just the rollcage.

FLtorpedo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 JK Rubicon
Plenty of reliable sources have said that the 3-piece hardtop will remain on the JL wrangler and others have said the top will be removable in panels. My guess is that there will be a 3-piece top just like the one we have now except the top will have removable panels for a quick-open top option and will leave behind a cage-like structure over the roll cage. My guess is that these panels will store in the trunk area. Then, if you want to remove the entire roof then you can do so by lifting up the entire hardtop with the panels included, leaving behind just the rollcage.
That's exactly how I pictured it working too. If they do it right, every JL owner should be enjoying the open air feel almost all the time (weather permitting). I know for me even the Freedom panels can be a deterrent. It's just too much work when you're in a hurry or when that forecast looks like it might turn and there's no place to store it inside the vehicle.

Sponsored

Aggie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Mojito!
With that heartier permanent cage structure in place, can't wait to see what the increase in torsional rigidity is going to be on the JL.

Looks slightly more reclined to me too.

JJ75

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 JKU
With that heartier permanent cage structure in place, can't wait to see what the increase in torsional rigidity is going to be on the JL.
Me too. Torsional rigidity jumped 50% from the TJ to the JK and the body was 100% more resistant to bending.

AWD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Grand Cherokee
Me too. Torsional rigidity jumped 50% from the TJ to the JK and the body was 100% more resistant to bending.
I know torsional rigidity makes a big difference in sports cars' handling and response to steering input but how does it help the Wrangler since speed and handling aren't as important as sportier cars?

JoKer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'13 Wrangler Sport
I know torsional rigidity makes a big difference in sports cars' handling and response to steering input but how does it help the Wrangler since speed and handling aren't as important as sportier cars?
Better torsional rigidity will improve the Wrangler's durability and also reduces noise, harshness and vibrations.

Alvin R

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cherokee
Is there any way the watermark on the 2nd picture could be moved so we could try to make out if the dash-mounted passenger grab handle remains?

Sponsored

four low

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
I think the most important part of the improved Roll Cage , incorporated into the outer Windshield frame, is that the "new" structure will give far superior protection in a Roll Over. In previous generations of Jeeps, the windshield comes back into the passenger/driver compartment.

The JK was much improved, but it still has this issue. Unfortunately, Rollovers are common with this type of vehicle.

So, the improvement in this area is a Big Deal to me. It only has to save you once !

Jeepsterfreak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda, Future JLU
Question. In the current JKU, does the rollbar extend all the way down to the floor behind the B pillar between the doors? Is this something than can be unbolted or is it welded to the body?

AWD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Grand Cherokee
I think the most important part of the improved Roll Cage , incorporated into the outer Windshield frame, is that the "new" structure will give far superior protection in a Roll Over. In previous generations of Jeeps, the windshield comes back into the passenger/driver compartment.

The JK was much improved, but it still has this issue. Unfortunately, Rollovers are common with this type of vehicle.

So, the improvement in this area is a Big Deal to me. It only has to save you once !
That's a big selling point for me too. Like you said even the JK's windshield can't withstand a rollover.

Dackel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 JKU, Ram 1500
Just noticed something...

Those look like possible grab handles on the back of the front seats? Nice touch for rear passengers' use.

The Great Grape Ape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU AspenX 5spd , 2015 JK Sport 6spd
Just noticed something...

Those look like possible grab handles on the back of the front seats? Nice touch for rear passengers' use.
They would need to significantly change seat positining then, because those hands & handles would be right beside someone's head. And if they are for offroading support, then that may mean the front passenger will get a knuckle sandwich when they sway from side to side, already bang my head on the B pillar offroading, having a hand there might cushion the blow, but likely still not be comfortable for either passenger.

Now if they designed them as a recessed flip out handle that could flip towards the back and then store away more flush when not in use then that would be great.

Sponsored