Sponsored

Say hi to the 2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU

Billy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1997 TJ, 2022 JTRD
Vehicle Showcase
Couldn't agree more! It'd also be nice if they had some recline adjustment like the GC. I'd be shocked if FCA hasn't addressed this on the JL/JT.
Sponsored

Last edited:

orey22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 JK Jeep Wrangler 2dr / 2019 JL 2dr
One thing that has always bugged me about my JKU is how uncomfortable, the back seats are for normal to large adults. They are almost straight up and down. It looks to me like the back seats in the rendering are slightly more reclined than the the JK, which would be great if that was the case. Anyone else think so? I can't find an image at the right angle to compare.
No doubt, the wrangler could really improve the seating options, and I would think w/o adding additional weight to them.

Boatbuilder88

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Wrangler JL Sport S
Occupation
F-16 Engineer (retired)
One thing that has always bugged me about my JKU is how uncomfortable, the back seats are for normal to large adults. They are almost straight up and down. It looks to me like the back seats in the rendering are slightly more reclined than the the JK, which would be great if that was the case. Anyone else think so? I can't find an image at the right angle to compare.
IMO... The angle of the JK's front head restraint leaves much to be desired too.

Chinster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Looks slightly more reclined to me too.

Jeep Wrangler JL Say hi to the 2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU {filename}

Bill P

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler Unlimited
The important thing is not just making it more reclined but ADJUSTABLE. One seating position for all does not make sense.

Sponsored

The Great Grape Ape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU AspenX 5spd , 2015 JK Sport 6spd
The ability to add adjustable seats though is greatly impacted by the small lower space in which it must sit and in the ability to lay them flat for storage.

Even the current slight up-angle is annoying for storage, so turning it into an even less flat surface the way the current (easy to install) seat recliners do, is a bad tradeoff for many, and works better under the current scenario if it's just a tilt and not full adjustsbility.

Spank

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon, 2020 Dodge Challenger RT Scat Pack
The important thing is not just making it more reclined but ADJUSTABLE. One seating position for all does not make sense.
Seems like they made this work in the Cherokee. It's probably wishful thinking, but let's hope they bring it over to the Wrangler.

JeepinGeorge

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1998 Wrangler Sahara
Vehicle Showcase
Looks great but I'm not so sure how much I like the turn signals in the mirrors or the DRL's and markers in the flares. How much of an issue are the marker lamps in the mirrors going to cause when removing the doors? And likewise for the DRL's and marker lamps in the flares, they're certain to bring up a new set of challenges for the aftermarket sector to overcome.

Sponsored

Bill P

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler Unlimited
The ability to add adjustable seats though is greatly impacted by the small lower space in which it must sit and in the ability to lay them flat for storage.

Even the current slight up-angle is annoying for storage, so turning it into an even less flat surface the way the current (easy to install) seat recliners do, is a bad tradeoff for many, and works better under the current scenario if it's just a tilt and not full adjustsbility.
I'm not sure I follow. As far as I can tell even in the JKU they could make it recline further and be adjustable without changing much. If there's something that prevents adding this functionality to the current design I must be missing it. At most they might have to make the bottom side of the rear seatbacks "cut in" very slightly so it can angle backwards.

As for storage issues, why would making it adjustable make it fold even less flat than on the JKU?

jb1990

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 TJ Wrangler
Right off the bat I can tell there are probably going to be issues with the fender vent and some third party fenders (like Metal Cloak) playing nicely. It may limit the way they can design their fenders or they will be forced to take the riskier option of offering a fender+panel kit.

The JL front fenders look wider to me in stock form (resulting in that longer hood) so I think there will be plenty of room between the quarter panel and front bumper for even the widest of fender flares/tube fenders.

The Great Grape Ape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I'm not sure I follow. As far as I can tell even in the JKU they could make it recline further and be adjustable without changing much. If there's something that prevents adding this functionality to the current design I must be missing it.
Take a look in the back of your JKU and you will notice 2 impediments: floor depth/height and the rear wheel-arches.

You can account for this with a pivoting solution, but it exacerbates the complexity/cost issue, and most implementations even further inhibit lay-flat. Even just the elevated seatbed does that, but not as much as a pivot design.

At most they might have to make the bottom side of the rear seatbacks "cut in" very slightly so it can angle backwards.
Not getting where the cut-in is located, but if it's for the wheel-arch then that goes higher and deeper than you think. It's likely also a safety issue having a body or the seat in line with it in a side impact, so reclining past it is likely not an attractive option if it can be avoided.
Yeah, I know in the JK you're still in between (we remove ours), but it's also a 2 seater in back with a bit of a space buffer, and if you put the recliner to the then again better as 2 sests than 3. People do put after market suspension captain chairs back there, but again only 2 and totally messes with flat storage.

If it's for behind the seat (which would at least be required) we don't need no more gaps for toys, tools and random work/ski gloves lost behind thenm seats. ;-)

As for storage issues, why would making it adjustable make it fold even less flat than on the JKU?
Based on existing examples that's been the tradeoff, I'm sure a more elaborate approach could be applied, but there are very few examples that have as cramped an interior (floor, width, wheel-arches) from which to make the adjustable seats.

I'm all for improving the rear (even though only kids use mine for anything more than the the adults getting a lift trip to/from work lunch/dinner, etc for 5-15 mins), but not willing to trade off flatter storage for the seats in my case, so it needs to be designed with that in mind and done right.

Last edited:

Bill P

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler Unlimited
Take a look in the back of your JKU and you will notice 2 impediments: floor depth/height and the rear wheel-arches.

You can account for this with a pivoting solution, but it exacerbates the complexity/cost issue, and most implementations even further inhibit lay-flat. Even just the elevated seatbed does that, but not as much as a pivot design.

Not getting where the cut-in is located, but if it's for the wheel-arch then that goes higher and deeper than you think. It's likely also a safety issue having a body or the seat in line with it in a side impact, so reclining past it is likely not an attractive option if it can be avoided.
Yeah, I know in the JK you're still in between (we remove ours), but it's also a 2 seater in back with a bit of a space buffer, and if you put the recliner to the then again better as 2 sests than 3. People do put after market suspension captain chairs back there, but again only 2 and totally messes with flat storage.

If it's for behind the seat (which would at least be required) we don't need no more gaps for toys, tools and random work/ski gloves lost behind thenm seats. ;-)

Based on existing examples that's been the tradeoff, I'm sure a more elaborate approach could be applied, but there are very few examples that have as cramped an interior (floor, width, wheel-arches) from which to make the adjustable seats.

I'm all for improving the rear (even though only kids use mine for anything more than the the adults getting a lift trip to/from work lunch/dinner, etc for 5-15 mins), but not willing to trade off flatter storage for the seats in my case, so it needs to be designed with that in mind and done right.
I'm not sure what everyone else has in mind but for me, it's simple what they need to do with the seat backs. I want 2 adjustable positions. First is almost straight up like the current JKU back seating position. Then a reclined position of 5-10 degrees.

I'm no engineer but I've taken a look at my JKU and I don't see why floor depth/height prevents this unless you are referring to the wheel arches blocking it. From what I can tell even the current design could be rigged to make the seats recline more (and in fact there are JKU owners who have done it themselves with washers).

The only issues I see is 1) you will lose a little bit of trunk space when it is reclined (which is exactly why they need to make it adjustable so you can move it based on whether you are carrying more cargo or passengers)

2) When you lift up the carpet in the trunk you see the rail that the back seats slide along. When you fold the seats forward flat it slides along the rail inward toward the front seats. Seems to me there is still plenty of room to extend the rail 1-2 inches longer and add a stop mechanism so it can be reclined and adjustable.

3) Wheel arches as you mentioned. Looking at it with the naked eye I feel the JKU seats still have at least an inch of "give" before it would bump into the wheel arches. Even if I'm wrong it would take a very slight adjustment of a trunk/seats that sits fractionally higher than the current setup.

The Great Grape Ape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I'm not sure what everyone else has in mind but for me, it's simple what they need to do with the seat backs. I want 2 adjustable positions. First is almost straight up like the current JKU back seating position. Then a reclined position of 5-10 degrees.

I'm no engineer but I've taken a look at my JKU and I don't see why floor depth/height prevents this unless you are referring to the wheel arches blocking it. From what I can tell even the current design could be rigged to make the seats recline more (and in fact there are JKU owners who have done it themselves with washers).
Floor isn't as deep as other vehicles because the Wrangler rides well above the driveline. Can't add stow & go seats like in other SUVs/Crossovers etc.
As for the other options out there already done, refer back two my previous two post which address this.

Can't just slide forward, leg room is already an issue, and equally can't just boost it up a few inches headroom will be compromised, it's got to pivot or tilt while reclining otherwise it's a wast of dollars + R&D better spent improving something else.

Any adult in the back seat needs to get their own Jeep!
Sponsored