Sponsored

Say hi to the 2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU

LordEgg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeeps
I bet Those body lines are what it will look like with roof off and half doors. Just imagine that line being the cut off.
Sponsored

Bill P

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler Unlimited
I am not an engineer, so there may be a very good reason for this, but can anyone explain to me why, when jeeps have fully removable doors, they don't mount the side mirrors to the frame instead of the doors? would save people a lot of effort trying to mount after market mirrors to make their vehicles street legal when the doors are off. I was hoping this would be a change in the JL, but alas, does not seem to be the case.
My guess would be people would be smashing their doors into the mirrors all the time, and they dont want to deal with replacing them.
Yup. The doors on the old CJs used to hit the mirrors, and the mirrors were not positioned well at all.
Yea I'm not sure there is a way to position it on the frame and keep it out of the door's way. Nothing that doesn't look terrible at least. If only they would finally design the mirror to be easily mounted elsewhere when the doors are removed.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
If you are upset they didn't make greater changes to the styling, then you don't understand the whole concept of a Jeep. That would make the Renegade perfect for you.

Uptonogood

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
06 TJ
If you are upset they didn't make greater changes to the styling, then you don't understand the whole concept of a Jeep. That would make the Renegade perfect for you.
So true. And if they made any more changes than this to the styling, you'd have MUCH more people upset. This is the one car that you want to take a risk on making too little changes, not too many :) It's like the 911.. can't mess too much with an icon.

Personally I think the changes look great! Not too much not too little. And the technical changes will be the story here since we're getting new engines, transmissions, axles, fender clearance, new top options, upgraded nav, etc.

Corduroy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Jeep Cherokee
Yeah, but then you have this image that's several months old that totally shows the hinges on the right.

Jeep Wrangler JL Say hi to the 2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU {filename}
Yea but these pics from the dealer presentation also have a bunch of old JK features. The wheels, tail lights, and if i remember correctly the front didn't match up to the spy pics either. Those spy pics tho, seems like that's a full bodied JLU and not just a JK mule running. They did cover the entire rear unlike the early mules.

Sponsored

fatmat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
fancy new one for wifey, crappy old one for me
Kids are all gone so I am not interested in the unlimited/4-door but that seems to be all that is discussed and spied.

They are going to have a 2-door still right?

A lighter than JK 6-speed manual 300HP Hurricane 2-door is what I am after..

Last edited:

AVENTUS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW 750li sport
The new character line running length of the car reminds me bit of the G-class. I personally like the effect.

It is just barely Hinton towards Benz G-class and the range rovers with higher windows.

But still looks overall almost identical with JKU.

AVENTUS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW 750li sport
Definitely has more styling cues from the TJ and YJ, which isn't a bad thing, but I'm more interested in the interior and powertrain.

The JK's interior and technology group was already dated, even when they redesigned it in 2011. As much as I'd like the JL to retain more of the tried-and-true mechanical features from past iterations, things like the instrument cluster and center stack in the JK have needed a serious update for a very long time.

Same goes for the powertrain. The Pentastar and WA580 were certainly a welcomed improvement, but the 6-speed in the JK has always been awful. Here's hoping the JL has a much more confident, reliable, and quieter stick and TOBs that actually last longer than a few thousand miles.
Yeah I want <3.0L ECODIESEL, bigass intuitive touchscreen, and a dope Harmon kardon stereo with stock sub(s). And sunroofs on a quick remove roof.

Disappointed with fenders and bumpers.

Last edited:

fatmat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
fancy new one for wifey, crappy old one for me
Kids are all gone so I am not interested in the unlimited/4-door but that seems to be all that is discussed and spied.

They are going to have a 2-door still right?

A lighter than JK 6-speed manual 300HP Hurricane 2-door is what I am after..
Never mind, found it in another thread!

AVENTUS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW 750li sport

I'm struggling to see many differences and you think THAT looks like a family SUV? Better give up your JK then lol

Like others said it really just mixed together JK and TJ into one design.
Srsly.

JLU = 97.6% JKU, 1.4% TJ, 1% Benz G-Wagon

The end.

Sponsored

AVENTUS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW 750li sport
I am not an engineer, so there may be a very good reason for this, but can anyone explain to me why, when jeeps have fully removable doors, they don't mount the side mirrors to the frame instead of the doors? would save people a lot of effort trying to mount after market mirrors to make their vehicles street legal when the doors are off. I was hoping this would be a change in the JL, but alas, does not seem to be the case.
Yeah this always bothered me too.

JJ75

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 JKU
Integrated turn signals in mirrors is nice for those who remove front fenders since you'll still have side turn signals.

Any reason for moving the hood latches forward?

Bill P

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler Unlimited
Integrated turn signals in mirrors is nice for those who remove front fenders since you'll still have side turn signals.

Any reason for moving the hood latches forward?
It looks like at most it moved a fraction of an inch which is barely noticeable. My guess is it's a design choice and probably has little to do with fixing hood flutter (the only other explanation I can think of) since on the JK that is more about the rubber on the stock hood latches stretching and wearing down over time.

Wherever they put it, I hope for higher quality latches. I doubt they will offer aluminum ones but polyurethane latches like the Daystar ones would be nice.

Dackel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 JKU, Ram 1500
Maybe something to do with the longer foldable windshield? Who knows. Regarding the hood latches there's plenty of good affordable options in the aftermarket.

The more added features I hear about for the JL the more I think I'd rather they keep it simple and cheap so as to not drive up the cost even more. One thing is for sure with jeep owners, whatever they give us from the factory most people will end up swapping it out anyway.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
I really hope the windshield is easy to fold, with no bolts to remove.

Funny thing, those hood latches. Mine is an 08, and I never had flutter. They are still tight as a drum after 110k miles.

I'm loving the looks of the fender vent, btw.
Sponsored