Sponsored

Say hi to the 2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU

cmak0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler jk
IMO, the new body/lines make it look almost too polished or refined. More like a family car than a rugged Wrangler

Work

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 JK Willys Wheeler Granite Crystal
IMO, the new body/lines make it look almost too polished or refined. More like a family car than a rugged Wrangler
I don't know, I think it makes it a little more rugged looking. The combination of the larger windows with the panel lines gives you that nice half door esque line while still retaining the convenience of the full doors.

Aggie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Mojito!
has anyone heard if they will offer Mopar Accessories Half Doors?
That kind of news won't come until the car is officially revealed no? But the car will already have been revealed by the time SEMA rolls around in November and Mopar usually has a huge presence there so that'd be a perfect place for them to announce JL and JLU Mopar accessories.

Biker Dan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ducati Monster
Jeep Wrangler JL Say hi to the 2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU {filename}

I'm struggling to see many differences and you think THAT looks like a family SUV? Better give up your JK then lol

Like others said it really just mixed together JK and TJ into one design.

Sponsored

MockBarbecue82

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
jeeps
I don't get the TJ references. How is it more like a TJ ? Thanks.
Jeep emblem moved back to front fender, angled slots on grille, turn signals on flares. Those are the only I can think of although it doesn't remind me of a TJ. Just a sleeker JKU.

Biker Dan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ducati Monster
And fog lights moved to edge of bumper, V shaped grille, body line on sides..

No it doesn't actually look like a TJ, but it has brought back a lot of its design traits. I guess that fender vent will be the JL's signature. The way it flows with the body line makes me think it will standard across the lineup.

Sponsored

Zip

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ford explorer sport, 2015 Ford fusion electric
I didn't expect many styling changes. I'ts a Jeep, they pretty much have looked the same since they were invented.

Goes

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU Rubicon firecracker red (soon)
I love it. If this is accurate, all of my fears about a wide open top are gone.

FiftyFive0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 Chevy Tahoe
I love it. If this is accurate, all of my fears about a wide open top are gone.
That's how I feel also. What didn't change is more important than what did in this case.

I do like that they are saving buyers money by fixing some weak areas of the JK. No need for expensive and hard to install aftermarket roll cages, LED lights Etc. You just know they made that roof easier to take off too.

Can't wait to learn more about the engine choices.

The Great Grape Ape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU AspenX 5spd , 2015 JK Sport 6spd
Bottom image looks flipped based on not only the brackets for the tailgate but also the sub being on the driver side.
Not flipped, steering wheel is on driver side, and the sub is no longer in the side it's in the floor, so you're lookng at the wiring and wheel-well bulge not a sub.

The possible reason for the flipped brackets on the tailgate is likely to address a common complaint of reviewers about the rear door being hard to access from the curb and requiring the driver to open into traffic when parked roadside. Usually not a major complaint of owners, especially since the redesign means we are more likely to have to walk around it when loading in a garage or on the trail, but if it gives reviewers one more thing to note as 'new' , user-focused , etc update, then sure whatever. Foldown pickup tailgate style wasn't possible with a tyre carrier unless it was 2 part, and barn doors while a popular request wouldn't have addressed the reviewer complaint.

Now the lack of even the mounting features for a tyre carrier on the back are a bit of a concern, hopefully they are just for rendering purposes, as an underneath mounting position doesn't work for off-roading (reducing clearance & depature angles while increasing risk of damage/puncture), plus greatly limits tyre size options, and an inflation kit like in most modern vehicles to save weight is also equally a non-starter... especially on a Rubicon.

Now this could be a flipped RHD image, but in all likelyhood the reason for the rear camo is precisely because they have flipped the rear door for easier access/loading from the curb.

BTW, that would also likely mean aftermarket carriers for the JK and their accesories would likely not work with the new JL setup. Even some of the water/fuel/shovel accessories would likely not work if they were designed around the angle/side of the carrier attachment.

Last edited:

WebDevDan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Jeep Wrangler
Not flipped, steering wheel is on driver side, and the sub is no longer in the side it's in the floor, so you're lookng at the wiring and wheel-well bulge not a sub.

The possible reason for the flipped brackets on the tailgate is likely to address a common complaint of reviewers about the rear door being hard to access from the curb and requiring the driver to open into traffic when parked roadside. Usually not a major complaint of owners, especially since the redesign means we are more likely to have to walk around it when loading in a garage or on the trail, but if it gives reviewers one more thing to note as 'new' , user-focused , etc update, then sure whatever. Foldown pickup tailgate style wasn't possible with a tyre carrier unless it was 2 part, and barn doors while a popular request wouldn't have addressed the reviewer complaint.

Now the lack of even the mounting features for a tyre carrier on the back are a bit of a concern, hopefully they are just for rendering purposes, as an underneath mounting position doesn't work for off-roading (reducing clearance & depature angles while increasing risk of damage/puncture), plus greatly limits tyre size options, and an inflation kit like in most modern vehicles to save weight is also equally a non-starter... especially on a Rubicon.

Now this could be a flipped RHD image, but in all likelyhood the reason for the rear camo is precisely because they have flipped the rear door for easier access/loading from the curb.

BTW, that would also likely mean aftermarket carriers for the JK and their accesories would likely not work with the new JL setup. Even some of the water/fuel/shovel accessories would likely not work if they were designed around the angle/side of the carrier attachment.
Um... Not sure where you get your information but the admin already confirmed the tailgate still opens from the left. And there's a very clear circle, not just a wheel well bulge, in the side there.
Sponsored

Last edited: