Sponsored

Saw a Jeep with a "Death Wobble".

DaNimbus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Mojito-Gone, 2021 JLUR Hydro Blue
Ok, I will camp out, on the side of the highway, until I see a White JK with a white roof, and pink handles.

Not.

i would like said pics of White Jeep and Pink handles, and the girl of course, but if you don't have the time I totally understand it... LOL
Sponsored

LLANERO

First Name
Dario
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
It wasnt an unbalanced tire, I've seen plenty of those. That thing was wobbling side to side, like t was being held on, by one lose lug nut.

After a wheeling trip on my 2008 JKUR with 37" irocks, we stoped for lunch and then head back home.
As soon as I got over 20 mph, my Jeep's front end started shacking violently, steering wheel wobbling like crazy. It felt lile the Jeep was about to fall apart. I had to come to a complete stop for it to stop. Started driving and same thing happened agsin.
I thought I had broken something on the trail, but why did it start after having lunch and not on my way to the restaurant?
I radioed one of my wheeling friends, told him what happened and he told me to go to the gas station, get the water hose and wash the mud off of the wheels.
Drove very slow to the gas station, washed the wheels and death wobble was gone.
What happened was that my wheels were full of mud and while the mud was wet it would act as a "dynamic" balancing weight, but one it dried up while we were having lunch, it totally unbalanced my tires, causing the death wobble.
So yes, a very bad unbalanced tire can cause a very bad death wobble.
It you don't balance it right away, the "temporary" death wobble will wear out your steering components, making the death wobble permanent.

Kluk Ztopolovky

First Name
Kluk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL Sport 2dr Sting Gray manual
I was driving through Houston this afternoon, in traffic. There was a nice looking tricked out JK, with 35 inch tires. This girl had some money invested in the whole thing. Lots of custom work. Well, she was next to me, and my family, passing me. She was going approx 50 mph, when her right front wheel started to wobble so violently, the entire Jeep was shaking, and she had to slow down, fast, until it stopped shaking. Later she passed again, and it again happened. This again happened, later, down the highway, all at the same speeds, all within a three mile distance. Makes me not want to go larger, with tires, and taller suspension.
This incident worried the wife. She thought that jeep would crash, at any second.
I have witnessed very similar scenario and that wobbling Jeep was riding on fat 35s as well

HDinkH

First Name
Holly
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL 2.0
I was driving through Houston this afternoon, in traffic. There was a nice looking tricked out JK, with 35 inch tires. This girl had some money invested in the whole thing. Lots of custom work. Well, she was next to me, and my family, passing me. She was going approx 50 mph, when her right front wheel started to wobble so violently, the entire Jeep was shaking, and she had to slow down, fast, until it stopped shaking. Later she passed again, and it again happened. This again happened, later, down the highway, all at the same speeds, all within a three mile distance. Makes me not want to go larger, with tires, and taller suspension.
This incident worried the wife. She thought that jeep would crash, at any second.
My husband and I passed a driver sound asleep in a Tesla going 65 mph down I95. Makes me want to put that idiot in this Jeep if nothing else but to wake up his sorry ass!

Sponsored

sf5211

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
New 2019 JL
Occupation
Plumber
Vehicle Showcase
After a wheeling trip on my 2008 JKUR with 37" irocks, we stoped for lunch and then head back home.
As soon as I got over 20 mph, my Jeep's front end started shacking violently, steering wheel wobbling like crazy. It felt lile the Jeep was about to fall apart. I had to come to a complete stop for it to stop. Started driving and same thing happened agsin.
I thought I had broken something on the trail, but why did it start after having lunch and not on my way to the restaurant?
I radioed one of my wheeling friends, told him what happened and he told me to go to the gas station, get the water hose and wash the mud off of the wheels.
Drove very slow to the gas station, washed the wheels and death wobble was gone.
What happened was that my wheels were full of mud and while the mud was wet it would act as a "dynamic" balancing weight, but one it dried up while we were having lunch, it totally unbalanced my tires, causing the death wobble.
So yes, a very bad unbalanced tire can cause a very bad death wobble.
It you don't balance it right away, the "temporary" death wobble will wear out your steering components, making the death wobble permanent.
Sorry to reply to such an old post Dario but thank you. I was just going to post the question “can mud cause a death rattle?” Then did a search.
I was upstate this weekend, lots of runoff coming down the mountain and lots of mud. In one incident I fought the mud and the mud won. (Had to be pulled out).
My Jeep’s almost 2 years old and never shook when hitting bumps, including the ride upstate. On the way home, no problem on a smooth highway but if I hit a bump or a patch of bumps the Jeep felt like a dribbling basketball. It vibrated right up through the steering wheel and my arm.
This is why it’s worth searching before starting a new thread.
Thanks again buddy, stay safe!

OP
OP

DaltonGang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport S, Rubicon Suspension, Tires, and Rims. Firecracker Red
Sorry to reply to such an old post Dario but thank you. I was just going to post the question “can mud cause a death rattle?” Then did a search.
I was upstate this weekend, lots of runoff coming down the mountain and lots of mud. In one incident I fought the mud and the mud won. (Had to be pulled out).
My Jeep’s almost 2 years old and never shook when hitting bumps, including the ride upstate. On the way home, no problem on a smooth highway but if I hit a bump or a patch of bumps the Jeep felt like a dribbling basketball. It vibrated right up through the steering wheel and my arm.
From what I have read, Your suspension could be a little worn, if not damaged after that. I would definitely have it looked at. Make sure the the front steering stabilizer shock is the new and up to date one. Let us know what you find out.

LLANERO

First Name
Dario
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
You are welcome!

sf5211

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
New 2019 JL
Occupation
Plumber
Vehicle Showcase
From what I have read, Your suspension could be a little worn, if not damaged after that. I would definitely have it looked at. Make sure the the front steering stabilizer shock is the new and up to date one. Let us know what you find out.
Ok thank you for the advice. I will clean it first, give it another try and if it still does it I’ll get it in the shop.
Sponsored