Sponsored

Saw a Jeep with a "Death Wobble".

DaltonGang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport S, Rubicon Suspension, Tires, and Rims. Firecracker Red
I was driving through Houston this afternoon, in traffic. There was a nice looking tricked out JK, with 35 inch tires. This girl had some money invested in the whole thing. Lots of custom work. Well, she was next to me, and my family, passing me. She was going approx 50 mph, when her right front wheel started to wobble so violently, the entire Jeep was shaking, and she had to slow down, fast, until it stopped shaking. Later she passed again, and it again happened. This again happened, later, down the highway, all at the same speeds, all within a three mile distance. Makes me not want to go larger, with tires, and taller suspension.
This incident worried the wife. She thought that jeep would crash, at any second.
Sponsored

GreyFox

First Name
Brandy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 JKU, 19 JL
I was driving through Houston this afternoon, in traffic. There was a nice looking tricked out JK, with 35 inch tires. This girl had some money invested in the whole thing. Lots of custom work. Well, she was next to me, and my family, passing me. She was going approx 50 mph, when her right front wheel started to wobble so violently, the entire Jeep was shaking, and she had to slow down, fast, until it stopped shaking. Later she passed again, and it again happened. This again happened, later, down the highway, all at the same speeds, all within a three mile distance. Makes me not want to go larger, with tires, and taller suspension.
This incident worried the wife. She thought that jeep would crash, at any second.
My TJ would do that at about 52mph. It turned out to be an unbalanced tire:facepalm:

BullMoose1776

First Name
Bull
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Project Manager
Tell the wife you've got a JL, not one of those old junky JK's.

Hell, they practically recommend 35s on the Rubicon, and since you're on here, I'm SURE you have a Rubicon....

Also tell your wife if she's afraid of a little shimmy and a little shake she can get a Toyota.

Finally, let me know if you need a place to sleep after you get finished telling her all this. I have friends in Houston.

Carlton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeeps lots of jeeps
Tell the wife you've got a JL, not one of those old junky JK's.

Hell, they practically recommend 35s on the Rubicon, and since you're on here, I'm SURE you have a Rubicon....

Also tell your wife if she's afraid of a little shimmy and a little shake she can get a Toyota.

Finally, let me know if you need a place to sleep after you get finished telling her all this. I have friends in Houston.
The JK is actually much less prone to death wobble than the JL. Lol

OP
OP

DaltonGang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
My TJ would do that at about 52mph. It turned out to be an unbalanced tire:facepalm:
It wasnt an unbalanced tire, I've seen plenty of those. That thing was wobbling side to side, like t was being held on, by one lose lug nut.

Sponsored

TimmH

First Name
Timm
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Wrangler Sahara 3.6 Auto
Vehicle Showcase
I've never experienced it, but from what I understand of the forces causing the issue, she really needed to come to a complete stop to solve it, just slowing down only often disguises it, and it returns when you get up to speed.

JeepDave

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 2D Sport, V6, Manual Transmission
"...This incident worried the wife..."

You should have told her it was the Happy-Fun Wobble, DEATH Wobble is kinda scary words...

H: Oh, look, that Jeep has the Happy-Fun Wobble!
W: Can ours do that?
H: Haven't got it to do it yet.
W: Well keep trying...

m3reno

First Name
Sal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Wrangler JLU
I originally had an unbalanced tire and thought that was death wobble but after a mechanic friend changed my track bar with no adjustments I THEN saw death wobble up close!!

higbyz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 sahara mojito 2.0 - 2020 Sahara Bikini 2.0
Pics ( video ) or it didnt happen ! ;)

OP
OP

DaltonGang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Pics ( video ) or it didnt happen ! ;)
Ok, I will camp out, on the side of the highway, until I see a White JK with a white roof, and pink handles.

Not.

Last edited:

Sponsored

patternman

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUS, 2014 & 2001 Indian
My XJ did it, It was an unbalanced tire & a bad ball joint.

BRuby

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR-A Benz-A Porsche-M Subie-M
"...This incident worried the wife..."

You should have told her it was the Happy-Fun Wobble, DEATH Wobble is kinda scary words...

H: Oh, look, that Jeep has the Happy-Fun Wobble!
W: Can ours do that?
H: Haven't got it to do it yet.
W: Well keep trying...
Haha! DW does sound kind scary.

Arterius2

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara 2.0L
All that money invested but she probably running the factory track bar. AKA. hollow tuning fork.
Sponsored