Bocephus

Bocephus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 392
Occupation
Sam’s Decorative Automotive Button Emporium
Just an update for anyone attempting this in the future as it doesn’t appear as if Mopar is selling a direct Satin grill replacement for those with trail cameras any longer.
There are technically two different part numbers for the Satin grill: 82216097 (JT), and 82215114 (JL).

The primary difference use to be that the JT grill inserts (also used on the 3.0 Diesel) were larger to facilitate the camera mounting, and this included four threadable inserts in the middle
88106FEB-C6E1-42CA-8B42-FB06A01D3495.jpeg

The JL version had grill inserts with smaller diameters, which necessitated transferring over the grill inserts to account for the camera.

I recently attempted this, only to find that the grills are they are now selling (both 82216097 and 82215114) don’t have the inner posts for camera mounting
D8CA57A2-497B-4E02-A398-44A4C197ED34.jpeg

The mounting points are plastic welded to the grill, so there’s no way of swapping them over. What I ended up doing is removing the metal nutsert from the middle mounting posts on the original grill, and just using them as nuts to affix the camera backing plate to the swapped grill insert. The camera ends up basically being held in bracket style to the grill by way of the outer two screws.

Hopefully this saves someone the headache of thinking they ordered the wrong grill and let’s them just modify the install slightly.
I’m not sure Mopar ever sold a satin black grille with mounts for the camera, separate from ordering it factory built. Everyone buys the JL or JT satin black grill (JT for me) and swaps over their internal mesh so the camera ends up in the new grill with the OEM mount locations for camera. You definitely have to pop out the little metal screw clips also and swap those into the new grill, but they pop out and press in pretty easy. Check out the video
Linked in thread above from about the 7 to 9 minute mark. Is that what you’re describing?
Sponsored

MJ6

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Rubicon
I’m not sure Mopar ever sold a satin black grille with mounts for the camera, separate from ordering it factory built. Everyone buys the JL or JT satin black grill (JT for me) and swaps over their internal mesh so the camera ends up in the new grill with the OEM mount locations for camera. You definitely have to pop out the little metal screw clips also and swap those into the new grill, but they pop out and press in pretty easy. Check out the video
Linked in thread above from about the 7 to 9 minute mark. Is that what you’re describing?
Hey brother, thanks for chiming in and for posting the install video.

I think where the issue lies is in the mounting locations themselves, I circled the area's referenced in the picture below. The grill in the top half of the picture has four mounting posts, each with one of the metal screw clips; the grill in the bottom half of the picture is the new satin grill, and only two of the four mounting points actually exist. Essentially, even with popping out the metal screw clips, there's nowhere to swap them to on the new grill as they appear plastic welded to the backing surface.
Jeep Wrangler JL Satin Black Grill for 392 Grill Difference

I'm not sure if this was an intentional design change, or if perhaps there's another part number floating around in the ether somewhere, but the center mounting points are different unless I missed something entirely.

OP
OP
Bocephus

Bocephus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 392
Occupation
Hey brother, thanks for chiming in and for posting the install video.

I think where the issue lies is in the mounting locations themselves, I circled the area's referenced in the picture below. The grill in the top half of the picture has four mounting posts, each with one of the metal screw clips; the grill in the bottom half of the picture is the new satin grill, and only two of the four mounting points actually exist. Essentially, even with popping out the metal screw clips, there's nowhere to swap them to on the new grill as they appear plastic welded to the backing surface.
Jeep Wrangler JL Satin Black Grill for 392 Grill Difference

I'm not sure if this was an intentional design change, or if perhaps there's another part number floating around in the ether somewhere, but the center mounting points are different unless I missed something entirely.
Ah, thanks, I see what you’re talking about. Did you buy the JL or JT version? Good work bro!

MJ6

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Rubicon
Ah, thanks, I see what you’re talking about. Did you buy the JL or JT version? Good work bro!
I appreciate it man.
I ended up purchasing the JL version (82215114) from BAM, so it’s entirely possible that the JT version like yours (82216097) is different. Kind of difficult to do a side-by-side if you don’t want to drop the $$$ for two grills though, and using vendor pictures for comparison is a crap shoot at best. If they really are that different, it’d be nice for Mopar to acknowledge trail cam compatibility somewhere.

OP
OP
Bocephus

Bocephus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 392
Occupation
I appreciate it man.
I ended up purchasing the JL version (82215114) from BAM, so it’s entirely possible that the JT version like yours (82216097) is different. Kind of difficult to do a side-by-side if you don’t want to drop the $$$ for two grills, and using vendor pictures for comparison is a crap shoot at best. If they really are that different though, it’d be nice for Mopar to acknowledge trail cam compatibility somewhere.
Fully agree !

Sponsored

MountainRigged

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler 23' JLUR 3.0L EcoDiesel
I appreciate it man.
I ended up purchasing the JL version (82215114) from BAM, so it’s entirely possible that the JT version like yours (82216097) is different. Kind of difficult to do a side-by-side if you don’t want to drop the $$$ for two grills though, and using vendor pictures for comparison is a crap shoot at best. If they really are that different, it’d be nice for Mopar to acknowledge trail cam compatibility somewhere.
Could probably fab that pretty easily no?

MJ6

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Rubicon
Could probably fab that pretty easily no?
I’d imagine it wouldn’t be too difficult to fab a mounting platform with a 3D printer and affix it to the back of the grill. Sans a printer though, I just used the metal fasteners as nuts to hold the backing plate on. Probably not as secure as having four mounting screws, but any port in a storm.

Rubi64L

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Sting Gray 392, 2000 Supercharged WJ
It's kind of a bummer that they don't let us order the regular painted grill, and then have an option to order the extra satin grill as a spare. On my StingGray, I liked the look of the satin grill much better - and I figured it would also hold up to bug splats much better. I did hate to spend the money for something that wasn't paint matched and was a stock standard off the shelf part.

That said, I've got to imagine the standard painted grill is more expensive than the satin one. Especially for some of the more vibrant colors. A profit point for Stellantis.

There must be a part designation for the trail cam mounts. If someone gets into crash where they bring the car in for a new grill, I can't imagine the body shop doing a bunch of work to get the cam to fit properly.

frank-o

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
392 SOT, JLUR SOT, Prior JLUR Sting, 10thA JKUR
Those points are absolutely true and valid. But given the choice, and having done the grill swap - including having to uninstall the mesh panels from the original grill, and re-install in the matte black grille (in order to keep the camera mount) - I would definitely recommend ordering the matte black grill option if you plan to go that way. I have no use for my painted grill..., and it's not as easily sold as are other parts.
I debated this and made the same choice. On my current JLUR I swapped to the satin grill myself, this time I ordered it on.

BradyW

First Name
Brady
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 392XR
Vehicle Showcase
Jeep Wrangler JL Satin Black Grill for 392 Grill

Satin grill on hydro blue 392 for visual reference. No other point in posting the photo other than I ended up liking the black grill more than I thought I would pre-purchase.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Bocephus

Bocephus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 392
Occupation
Grill.jpg

Satin grill on hydro blue 392 for visual reference. No other point in posting the photo other than I ended up liking the black grill more than I thought I would pre-purchase.
honestly it’s the only mod I’ve done for looks, and as you said, even better than expected.

Jeep Wrangler JL Satin Black Grill for 392 CCCC4D75-0834-407D-8EBD-CAA460FBA8B9

Pic is a little old, pre beast-mode 😀

Rubi64L

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Sting Gray 392, 2000 Supercharged WJ

Looks awesome!! On the 392s, especially the XRs, the black accents make the Jeep look really mean.

frank-o

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
392 SOT, JLUR SOT, Prior JLUR Sting, 10thA JKUR

Looks great!

Uncommon Sense

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sting Gray '22 392XR
I appreciate it man.
392 uses the JT version, not JL.

JDLouisville

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘23 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 392 XR
Vehicle Showcase
Can someone confirm the part number (and perhaps a link) for the matte black grill for/compatible with the 392 with front camera?
Sponsored