Sanity Check with Aux Battery Issue

shadowhunter22

First Name
Julian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sport
Hi everyone, I've been lurking here for a while but first main post. My JLU Sport S is having some battery issues and I'm fighting with the dealership to replace my auxiliary battery, and would love for anyone to point out where I might be in the wrong or missing something. It's a long one, feel free to cut to the summary. So here's the story:

This past Friday morning (8 March), started driving the Jeep to work, some error message pops up on the console; don't remember it exactly, but it was something about the ESS needing serviced, vehicle will shut down soon, drive safely. So pulled over, shut down, waited a minute then tried to start up again. Entire dash started freaking out, lights going off, wipers going, all that noise. From others' posts here, this seems to have happened when the auxiliary battery was too low/dead (I have some ideas for how it drained, but not relevant to the fix). After a few attempts, all power went out entirely.

Had someone come try to jump me using a battery pack; he did a quick voltmeter reading on the main battery and it was around 12.4 I believe. The jump didn't work (this was before I had read the posts about how a battery pack isn't sufficient to get both the aux and main battery charged enough to jump). So, while getting towed to a nearby dealership, I read a few posts here that people had success using a donor vehicle and letting the batteries charge for a few minutes. I mention that to the mechanic, who of course immediately blows me off, says that's probably not the issue, and they'll have to keep it for a few hours. I tell him that the main battery tested fine, and everything is pointing to a drained/dead aux battery, but all that fell on deaf ears.

Over the weekend typical service dept shenanigans ensue (zero contact, try to find out what they've tried already but nothing is actually in the system, just word of mouth from one dude to another, never got to talk to anyone who had actually touched my Jeep, good times). Did learn that they replaced the main battery (even though that one was totally fine...) and the various techs I talked to "think" they had tried to charge the batteries (which I don't believe, because I see where it's been parked all weekend and that just doesn't seem likely). Ask about the aux battery, get a deer in the headlights look. A not-insignificant part of me thinks they don't even know the JLs have an aux battery....

Anyway, called Monday morning for an update, they say they still can't get any power to the Jeep whatsoever so they need their electrical tech to look at it. I ask if they've tried swapping the aux battery..."yea I think so." They promise to call me back soon. Several hours go by, so I head to the dealership with my buddy's truck who has a healthy battery, jumpers, and my own voltmeter. Test main battery, healthy 12.7 or so. Disconnect the terminals to test the aux battery...4.5 volts. So we try to "chump start" it as others have mentioned, connecting the positive cable to the N1 terminal. After 10 minutes or so, success! Lights come on, I'm able to start, all seems well. Console says voltage is between 14.0-14.3 volts, but this is while jumpers are still attached, not sure if alternator has taken over.

As soon as we pull the jumpers, engine dies and things go back to Friday morning (dash freaking out and whatnot). Recheck aux voltage, only up to about 4.7 volts. Debated trying to sit there letting it charge longer, but I think the voltage is low enough that replacing it is the right call. This whole time we've been trying to get the service manager over to us (seriously we sat there for over an hour screwing around with a vehicle on their lot, at they didn't even seem to care), eventually get fed up and go to talk to them. Of course the manager is nowhere to be found, so I tell one of the other techs about what we were able to do (i.e. get power to the vehicle long enough to start, which they hadn't been able to do yet), and that I'm 99% sure replacing the aux battery is the solution.

Call this morning (Tuesday), of course none of that info got passed to my "assigned" tech (who also has not personally talked to me at all this whole time, but that's beside the point), they keep regurgitating "we replaced the (main) battery on Friday and it's still not responsive." It's too early to drink but I may start anyway.

In summary....

- Main battery has checked out good (though they replaced it anyway)
- Aux battery is not good (around 4.5 volts)
- When donor vehicle is connected to N1 terminal, power flows allowing engine to start (but not sure if alternator is taking over)
- Jeep dies again when jumper cables are removed, eventually aux seems entirely dead

Basically, all of the electrical pathways seem to be fine, since they work when a donor vehicle is supplying power. The issue is either (maybe both) the aux battery is dead, or an issue with the alternator since it's not taking over. Small chance it could be an IBS issue but that doesn't seem likely.

Should I keep pushing the dealership to replace the aux battery before anything else? If that doesn't work, then the second most likely issue is the alternator...but it seems dumb to jump to replacing that before trying a new aux battery.

Any feedback/spears/tips for not losing my mind would be much appreciated. I'm already in touch with the JeepCares team here but I'm curious what all the members have to say.
Sponsored

Arterius2

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara 2.0L
Let me be clear about this...
Most service departments has never seen a Wrangler in their life.. let alone work on one...
and the ones who has seen a Wrangler, couldn't tell the difference between a JK and a JL...

Just let that sink in for a bit..

The take away from this is... owners of Wranglers avoid them like the plague.. and being a mechanic yourself is part of the vehicle ownership..
and for FCA.. NEVER EVER sell TWO models of the SAME vehicle during the SAME year, that's just asking for trouble, especially when your staff is more under-trained than a McDonald drive-through.. Sometimes it's just easier to tell them you have a 2019 Wrangler instead..

Last edited:
OP
OP
shadowhunter22

shadowhunter22

First Name
Julian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sport
Most service departments has never seen a Wrangler in their life.. let alone work on one...
and the ones who has seen a Wrangler, couldn't tell the difference between a JK and a JL...

The take away from this is... owners of Wranglers avoid them like the plague.. and being a mechanic yourself is part of the vehicle ownership..
and NEVER EVER sell TWO models of the SAME vehicle during the SAME year, that's just asking for trouble, especially when you provide training to your staff less than a McDonald drive through.
Yep, that's definitely the vibe I've been getting. And I wouldn't even mind so much if they just weren't able to diagnose the issue, of course owners are going to do more in-depth digging...what's super frustrating is that I've found a likely fix, and they just refuse to even try it. There's actually another dealership nearby that sounds like they're willing to swap the aux batteries, may just get it towed to the new one.

Arterius2

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara 2.0L
Yep, that's definitely the vibe I've been getting. And I wouldn't even mind so much if they just weren't able to diagnose the issue, of course owners are going to do more in-depth digging...what's super frustrating is that I've found a likely fix, and they just refuse to even try it. There's actually another dealership nearby that sounds like they're willing to swap the aux batteries, may just get it towed to the new one.
Sounds like they're not willing to admit that they weren't aware of the existence of the "aux battery" on your JL.

Sounds eerily similar to the techs who were undoubtingly sure that the JL takes 6 quarts of motor oil... and that the manual was a typo...:headbang:

Jeepsterfreak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda, Future JLU
I assume you’ve read the many ESS threads by @Jebiruph

He seems to be the forum expert on the ESS aux battery system.

In this thread he explains how to bypass the Aux battery with a jumper wire attached to N1 and N2.

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/3-6l-ess-aux-battery-bypass.17293/

Sounds like you need to find a new dealer who can properly diagnose the problem as being defective aux battery or bad alternator.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Jebiruph

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2019 KL, 2020 JT
It's sound like the Aux battery is bad, but it's possible it's good, but not charging. You need to install some kind of jumper wire (I prefer with a fuse, but in an emergency I would us anything) between PDC terminals N1 and N2 or unplug the battery relay (PCR) to be able to start it with only the main battery. I would also disconnect the ground cable from the Aux battery at the Main battery terminal to electrically remove the Aux battery from the system. Once you get it running, hopefully they will listen to you.

Jebiruph

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
It's sound like the Aux battery is bad, but it's possible it's good, but not charging. You need to install some kind of jumper wire (I prefer with a fuse, but in an emergency I would us anything) between PDC terminals N1 and N2 or unplug the battery relay (PCR) to be able to start it with only the main battery. I would also disconnect the ground cable from the Aux battery at the Main battery terminal to electrically remove the Aux battery from the system. Once you get it running, hopefully they will listen to you.
@shadowhunter22, is there any concern that the dealer will see any modifications or tampering on your part as a reason to deny a warranty claim on the Aux battery?

nerubi

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLR, 2020 VW Tiguan
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase

and for FCA.. NEVER EVER sell TWO models of the SAME vehicle during the SAME year, that's just asking for trouble, especially when your staff is more under-trained than a McDonald drive-through.. Sometimes it's just easier to tell them you have a 2019 Wrangler instead..
You're an idiot. Lump every single Jeep dealer and tech together. Makes you look really smart. I think a lot of owners that work on their Wranglers don't know what they are doing. See how stupid that sounds? Two of my service advisors own Wranglers and so does one of the techs, and a couple of the managers, one of whom put a supercharger on his JK on his own. So many of them have experience plus every dealership has one or more techs trained by FCA on Wranglers depending on staff size. Oh wait, FCA doesn't know how to design or build them either so anyone that owns a Wrangler is stupid, right?
What OP needs to do is get Jeep Cares support staff on it to talk with dealer service manager.

OP
OP
shadowhunter22

shadowhunter22

First Name
Julian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sport
@Jeepsterfreak, yea, I plan to have one of those bypass wires with me from now on (don't know if I'll connect it all the time, but it'll be good peace of mind in emergencies).

@Jebiruph, the only mods that could have impacted the electrical system have been the addition of a tow wiring harness & a winch, both of which haven't given any trouble for several months. I have (another) dealer installing the Mopar aux switch bank soon but until then no extra lights or anything like that.

So after threatening to tow to the other dealer, the first place suddenly agreed it was the aux battery, and have swapped it. They also say one of the internal fuses on the PDC is bad so they're replacing that today, hopefully I'll be on my way soon. Thanks to everyone for their inputs, this community is fantastic.

Jebiruph

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
So after threatening to tow to the other dealer, the first place suddenly agreed it was the aux battery, and have swapped it. They also say one of the internal fuses on the PDC is bad so they're replacing that today, hopefully I'll be on my way soon. Thanks to everyone for their inputs, this community is fantastic.
I've heard bad internal PDC fuses referred to before, I wonder what part they are replacing? My bet is at some point the Main battery positive terminal was removed and allowed to short to ground, blowing the ESS PCR high capacity fuse. This prevents the Aux battery from charging and blocks the Main battery from the interior electronics. Eventually the Aux battery ran down to far to power the internal electronics and you were stranded.

This video may be of interest to you (it takes till about 1:30 to get to the good stuff).

Last edited:

Sponsored

OP
OP
shadowhunter22

shadowhunter22

First Name
Julian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sport
Aux battery swapped, PDC swapped (sounds like they did the whole thing, which is fine to me since it's under warranty), and last thing they have to do is swap the HVAC controls; apparently something in there blew, so my A/C doesn't work for the time being, but at least I have my Jeep!

ChattVol

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU 4 door
Aux battery swapped, PDC swapped (sounds like they did the whole thing, which is fine to me since it's under warranty), and last thing they have to do is swap the HVAC controls; apparently something in there blew, so my A/C doesn't work for the time being, but at least I have my Jeep!
I'm having the same issues...did the new aux battery and fuse fix it?
Sponsored