Sandstone canyon closure

Ruby Mike

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep wrangler diesel
At our monthly meeting last night it was disclosed that sandstone canyon is closed above the rockfall with signs saying foot traffic only, wilderness area. According to the maps I have the wilderness boundary is at the end of the canyon. If anyone can get information on this, please let us know.
Sponsored

Moto_21

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport
Occupation
Maintenance
Vehicle Showcase
I was under the impression they were set up by someone else . I dunno though. Pretty sure they do not belong

SleepEatJeepRepeat

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2020 Audi Q7
Occupation
Looking at Jeep stuff all day
Vehicle Showcase
that would be a real bummer, while ya a little dangerous that is one my favorite trails an anza

jessedacri

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bright White 2dr JL Rubicon 3.6
Yeah, count me in for "massive bummer if true". Let us know if you find any more info - the FB groups I'm in haven't mentioned anything yet.

OP
OP
Ruby Mike

Ruby Mike

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I was under the impression they were set up by someone else . I dunno though. Pretty sure they do not belong
One of our members is going to talk to the park superintendent about the signage and report back to us. When I know more I will post it.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Ruby Mike

Ruby Mike

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I contacted the state park. The new superintendent of the park decided to close the upper sandstone canyon to all vehicles. The closure is permanent.

jessedacri

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bright White 2dr JL Rubicon 3.6
I contacted the state park. The new superintendent of the park decided to close the upper sandstone canyon to all vehicles. The closure is permanent.
Insane - is this someone we can vote out? No idea how the parks work.

Where is the closure exactly inside the canyon?

OP
OP
Ruby Mike

Ruby Mike

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Insane - is this someone we can vote out? No idea how the parks work.

Where is the closure exactly inside the canyon?
The closure is at the rock slide. The park said that "cultural resources" were being damaged. The superintendent is not voted in.
Jeep Wrangler JL Sandstone canyon closure Screenshot_20210220-132034_Facebook

Moto_21

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport
Occupation
Maintenance
Vehicle Showcase
Yay california. That guy can kiss my ass. That sucks

SleepEatJeepRepeat

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2020 Audi Q7
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I get the sandstone canyons are not that safe but it’s really sad, glad I did it before they closed it

Sponsored

OP
OP
Ruby Mike

Ruby Mike

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I get the sandstone canyons are not that safe but it’s really sad, glad I did it before they closed it
The closure is not based on safety. According to the park vehicles were causing damage to "cultural resources ". To me this is not at all common since. Sandstone is a canyon that regularly has flash flooding and any "cultural resources " would have been long ago washed away. I honestly don't know what, if anything, we can do.

SleepEatJeepRepeat

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2020 Audi Q7
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
The closure is not based on safety. According to the park vehicles were causing damage to "cultural resources ". To me this is not at all common since. Sandstone is a canyon that regularly has flash flooding and any "cultural resources " would have been long ago washed away. I honestly don't know what, if anything, we can do.
ya I mean it’s a flat dirt road other than that one rock crawling spot and it’s really not very heavily trafficked because it’s so far back and the rock climbing section is pretty advanced but it’s literally a pile of crumbling rock .. the only natural resource was the off-roading community coming and spending money in town to hit that as one of the top 5 trails in the park

OP
OP
Ruby Mike

Ruby Mike

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Apparently people who causing issues in the canyon. Some people decided to setup a winch point to get past the end of the canyon. Then created a trail into the wilderness area linking canyons. Then someone cut down an very old tree for firewood. Because of action of the few all of us pay the price of closure.

JimLee

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLU
FWIW neither the park nor the superintendent have the authority to unilaterally extend a wilderness area boundary, it has to be declared a wilderness area by the legislature. Hopefully an offroading group sues them.

Correction: Apparently the "State park and recreation committee" can designate "state wilderness areas" as well.

SleepEatJeepRepeat

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2020 Audi Q7
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Apparently people who causing issues in the canyon. Some people decided to setup a winch point to get past the end of the canyon. Then created a trail into the wilderness area linking canyons. Then someone cut down an very old tree for firewood. Because of action of the few all of us pay the price of closure.
that sucks.. perfect example of TREAD LIGHTLY
Sponsored