Sandstone canyon anza-borrego

Ruby Mike

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep wrangler diesel
I have been looking at the anza-borrego desert website and under road conditions it says that sandstone canyon is blocked 1/2 mile in and arrio del seco and diablo canyon also has landslides and is impassable. I would check it out but 110 degrees is a tad warm.

Anyone know what the conditions are?
Sponsored

gm920

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler JLUR Billet Silver
Occupation
Aircraft Maintenance Technician (Retired)
I have been looking at the anza-borrego desert website and under road conditions it says that sandstone canyon is blocked 1/2 mile in and arrio del seco and diablo canyon also has landslides and is impassable. I would check it out but 110 degrees is a tad warm.

Anyone know what the conditions are?
I am not going out there either, but I live close to Anza Borrego and go there often. Last time I was in Sandstone Canyon was 3 years ago and it was blocked by the rockfall 1/2 mile in at that time. It is a dead end trail anyway, if you really want to see it you could hike to the end when it cools off.

From the Parks page:
Caution: Road conditions can change at any time! Road Conditions were last updated 7/12/2020.
Arroyo Tapiado /Arroyo Seco del Diablo
Soft sand; fresh slides. Arroyo Seco del Diablo is IMPASSABLE due to a mudslide and standing mud.

Landslides/Mudslides are very common especially in Arroyo Seco del Diablo, which has higher more sheer walls than Arroyo Tapadio, and you are generally able to drive over/around them once they have dried out. It has been hot and dry lately and they shuld be ready for exploring. Arroyo Tapiado and Arroyo Seco del Diablo make a loop both coming back to Vallecito Creek Road. Would be a fun ride to go see where the latest slides happened.

jessedacri

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bright White 2dr JL Rubicon 3.6
I am not going out there either, but I live close to Anza Borrego and go there often. Last time I was in Sandstone Canyon was 3 years ago and it was blocked by the rockfall 1/2 mile in at that time. It is a dead end trail anyway, if you really want to see it you could hike to the end when it cools off.

Sandstone is a blast to wheel all the way in though. One of my favorite trips, would be a bummer if the rest of it past 1/2 mile is blocked. If I were closer than 3 hours and change I'd go see what's up.

Maybe it turns into another obstacle at some point.

OP
OP
Ruby Mike

Ruby Mike

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sandstone is a blast to wheel all the way in though. One of my favorite trips, would be a bummer if the rest of it past 1/2 mile is blocked. If I were closer than 3 hours and change I'd go see what's up.

Maybe it turns into another obstacle at some point.
Lol. Sounds like a good way for some exercise. Maybe when it cools down a bunch of us can go out and see what we can do.

Maverick909

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sporticon, 1976 GMC K15 Lifted on 35's
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Electrician/ Industrial Furnace MFG
Clubs

Lol. Sounds like a good way for some exercise. Maybe when it cools down a bunch of us can go out and see what we can do.
ive been a few times before the c19 happened. it was still open and passable. most people turn around at the last big opening but you can manage to get threw it and keep going. believe my last trip was mid January this year

Sponsored

OP
OP
Ruby Mike

Ruby Mike

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ive been a few times before the c19 happened. it was still open and passable. most people turn around at the last big opening but you can manage to get threw it and keep going. believe my last trip was mid January this year
Sounds like fun. I am currently waiting for the MC underarmor to arrive. Come winter definitely going to take a look at the canyon.

Maverick909

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Clubs

Sounds like fun. I am currently waiting for the MC underarmor to arrive. Come winter definitely going to take a look at the canyon.
well worth it. one of my go to spots during the winter. so much to see and do and plenty of camping

OP
OP
Ruby Mike

Ruby Mike

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
well worth it. one of my go to spots during the winter. so much to see and do and plenty of camping
My idea is to go to the mud caves (Arroyo Tapidio) (love those caves) then up Arroyo del seco diablo, diablo tail, down the dropoff then sandstone. Not really sure about pinion mountain. Heart attack hill and the squeeze kinda intimidates me.

Maverick909

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Clubs

My idea is to go to the mud caves (Arroyo Tapidio) (love those caves) then up Arroyo del seco diablo, diablo tail, down the dropoff then sandstone. Not really sure about pinion mountain. Heart attack hill and the squeeze kinda intimidates me.
i tired pinion a week after i got my jeep. got to the squeeze and turned around! its super tight for the JLs. watc ha few people go up and down the squeeze that said its easier than getting down heart attack hill. so for now i will leave that as half done until i have lockers and rock sliders. your trip your planning is one i have done a few times. its always fun going that route because they think the mud caves are great... until you make sandstone. sandstone is so beautiful

OP
OP
Ruby Mike

Ruby Mike

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
i tired pinion a week after i got my jeep. got to the squeeze and turned around! its super tight for the JLs. watc ha few people go up and down the squeeze that said its easier than getting down heart attack hill. so for now i will leave that as half done until i have lockers and rock sliders. your trip your planning is one i have done a few times. its always fun going that route because they think the mud caves are great... until you make sandstone. sandstone is so beautiful
Looking forward to the trip. I have the 2020 JLURD and so far love the diesel. I am sure that the jeep is more capable than me. Thanks for responding to this thread. I live up in the mountains of San Diego county.

Sponsored

Maverick909

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Clubs

Looking forward to the trip. I have the 2020 JLURD and so far love the diesel. I am sure that the jeep is more capable than me. Thanks for responding to this thread. I live up in the mountains of San Diego county.
oh man. good to hear your loving the 3.0. ive been reading a few post about major breaks its nice to hear good things. I am just glad to have gotten a 3.6 with out all the extra e torque and a 6 speed lol happy wheeling hopefully when it cools off will see you on the trail

OP
OP
Ruby Mike

Ruby Mike

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
oh man. good to hear your loving the 3.0. ive been reading a few post about major breaks its nice to hear good things. I am just glad to have gotten a 3.6 with out all the extra e torque and a 6 speed lol happy wheeling hopefully when it cools off will see you on the trail
Sounds great. Happy wheeling.

sportsguy

First Name
duane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Firecracker JLU Rubicon w/a snail
Occupation
Marketing
Can’t wait to head back to this area to explore this winter. We’re up in Camarillo, but worth a day trip.

OP
OP
Ruby Mike

Ruby Mike

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Can’t wait to head back to this area to explore this winter. We’re up in Camarillo, but worth a day trip.
I am also really looking forward to going out to the desert. Just upgraded my rock slide steps with the skid plate and next week the MC underarmor and rear diff skid plate is coming in. My first priority was to protect the under belly of the jeep. Next year comes the lift, def covers and all the rest. Hopefully this winter I will find like minded people to go out and wheel.

OP
OP
Ruby Mike

Ruby Mike

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I just looked at the anza-borrego website and sandstone canyon and Arroyo Del Seco del Diablo are open. Coyote canyon will open the end of the month. Great news.
Sponsored