Threads
Reaction score
Website
milehightrails.com
Vehicle(s)
‘94 YJ, ‘21 JLR, ‘22 JLUR XR, ‘23 392 XR
Occupation
Retired Navy
Drove 2000 miles to wheel and camp with my Denver friends on the San Rafael Swell for 5 sunny days and 4 chilly nights over spring break. Here’s my friends‘ trip report:

https://jeeptourscolorado.com/jeep-blog/san-rafael-swell/

Kind of a circus with 3 Jeeps, 4 adults, 4 kids, and 3 dogs so we centrally base camped near Family Butte vice overlanding. We did well with supplies and explained s’mores and firewood rationing to grade schoolers. Made it fun for them with “Adventure Buddies” activities... let them wheel, rappel, hike, start the camp fire, and shoot rifles and pistols.

Very secluded area - think the “warning - abandoned uranium mines” signs helped that. Plus, everyone else was down in Moab for EJS. We’d either run into one or none others on the trails each day. One of the JKUs was on fumes but we all made it to the Green River Love’s on our way home. Despite the smaller tank, my two door didn’t need my 5 gallon can. Should have saved that for my buddy. They each went through 10 extra gallons (heavier from carrying more gear and running 37s).

Jeep Wrangler JL San Rafael Swell, Utah CA9AA3F9-FA8D-4BC5-BF2A-8E683FFF7EC1

Devil’s Racetrack alone was worth the 4000 mile round trip with a few heart pounding moments. Took a bad line in this pic!

Great trip. No humans or Jeeps got hurt and the dogs have since recovered.

Jeep Wrangler JL San Rafael Swell, Utah C5D081B4-B684-446F-ACAB-6354FF041224
Sponsored

crbrenny

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Sting Grey; 2021 JLR Gecko
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
Looks awesome! Planning a trip from FL in the jeep out that way, daunting drive haha