johnwpowell

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
There are many things I like about the Sahara and a few cosmetic things I don't like the body color fenders. Anyone taken a Sahara and changed the fenders to be more like the Sport or Rubicon?
Sponsored

Gdub

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sahara
Occupation
Engineer
You could definitely do that, I cannot recall seeing any pics.

BVGeezer

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JLU, 1982 FJ40
Occupation
Retired
The black plastic requires lots more attention/maintenance. They eventually turn from black to gray. Been there done that.

Shooting or Jeeping

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, 2019 RAV4
The black plastic requires lots more attention/maintenance. They eventually turn from black to gray. Been there done that.
Yes, this. I hated the constant fading and white spots. Personally I think the paint makes it look awesome. Plastic makes it look like you are just waiting to remove them.

ryshla3

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon, 2019 Honda Civic LX 4DR
Every Wrangler comes with body color fenders. The flares are the piece of trim that you're referring to that come either painted or black textured ;)

Sponsored

WranglerMan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase
My 2007 Cherokee had those black plastic that looked terrible after a few years of sitting out in the sun so I chose to have painted on my Wrangler and don’t regret it.

RussJeep1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara
Every Wrangler comes with body color fenders. The flares are the piece of trim that you're referring to that come either painted or black textured ;)

..so its the black textured fenders that are more subject to the effects of time and weather described here?

If so, could we not paint the fenders here in a "sheener" black, either over the existing body color (which I presume from context is not a black colored rig the OP owns) or after prepping this surface for the adhesion of this new coat?

Kadonny

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Manual Trans Front Spacers, 2010 JKU Wrangler Sport
..so its the black textured fenders that are more subject to the effects of time and weather described here?

If so, could we not paint the fenders here in a "sheener" black, either over the existing body color (which I presume from context is not a black colored rig the OP owns) or after prepping this surface for the adhesion of this new coat?
He is saying the "fender" is not the same as the "flare" The fenders are the sheet metal pieces on that the fender flares attach to. Fenders are all body colored on factory Jeeps, they are the actual sides of the Jeep. The flares are the things you can get in either body color or black.

That being said, some JK owners took their black fender flares off and Linex'd them or coated them to be more durable, you can do that if you want and it does help a lot. Linex looks great on fender flares.

Last edited:

RussJeep1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara
He is saying the "fender" is not the same as the "flare" The fenders are the sheet metal pieces on that the fender flares attach to. Fenders are all body colored on factory Jeeps, they are the actual sides of the Jeep. The flares are the things you can get in either body color or black.

That being said, some JK owners took their black fender flares off and Linex'd them or coated them to be more durable, you can do that if you want and it does help a lot. Linex looks great on fender flares.
I hear you on definitions...but I'm lost. Isn't the OP taking then about his fender flares, which come only in matted black on the Sport, and matted black by default on the Rubicon?

Kadonny

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Manual Trans Front Spacers, 2010 JKU Wrangler Sport
I hear you on definitions...but I'm lost. Isn't the OP taking then about his fender flares, which come only in matted black on the Sport, and matted black by default on the Rubicon?
Yes, the OP is talking about the flares. I was simply clarifying what @ryshla3 was sayng about the difference between fender and flare.

FWIW, my 2015 Rubi has the black matte fender flares and I'll never order them again. If you are a trailhead and spend lots of time wheeling, then the black matte are better as they won't scatch and ding as easily. However, for those of us that spend more time on the street than on the trails, the black are a huge PIA to keep looking good.

Sponsored

RussJeep1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara
Yes, the OP is talking about the flares. I was simply clarifying what @ryshla3 was sayng about the difference between fender and flare.

FWIW, my 2015 Rubi has the black matte fender flares and I'll never order them again. If you are a trailhead and spend lots of time wheeling, then the black matte are better as they won't scatch and ding as easily. However, for those of us that spend more time on the street than on the trails, the black are a huge PIA to keep looking good.

Gotcha...:)

muskynut

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Unlimited JLU SPORT-S
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
My first Jeep 2015 JKU had the black textured fenders. Yes a pain to take care of. I did find a product that made them look great. Chemical Guys, Tire and Trim Gel, gives UV protection and restored the fenders back to factory look. Armor-All was a joke, along with other products over the counter. I ordered them over the internet.

I do have to say that on the Wrangler JLUS-s the fenders are not textured like the 2015, it is smoother and very easy to take care of. I also find the seats to be easier to remove dog hair from, the 2015 the hairs interwove into the material. A real pain. Try the Chemical Guys, it works.

JMurph

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sahara
There are many things I like about the Sahara and a few cosmetic things I don't like the body color fenders. Anyone taken a Sahara and changed the fenders to be more like the Sport or Rubicon?
I have a Sahara and put Rubi black fenders on. I did it for more room for bigger tires. The rear fenders don’t line up with the plastic bumper I have.

Terminex

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4XE
Occupation
Fixing stupid....
Mothers “back to black”.

i had a chevy avalanche that had the rear deck & sails panels in black plastic almost identical to the black plastic “fenders” being discussed.

The back to black was awesome for keeping the plastic black. (Or getting it back to black to be more precise)
Sponsored