Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Hydro Blue Sahara Altitude
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Marketing
Clubs

So I've finally convinced myself that I don't need a Rubicon, and have settled on the Sahara. This'll be my DD, mostly highway, but I do plan to head out to some easy-to-medium trails. I've never owned a 4wd vehicle, so I figure the Sahara is more than capable to ease myself into the lifestyle, see if I like it, etc while still being comfortable for my day-to-day use.

Anyways.....building online/using the 2021 May Order Sheets, and I'm coming up against the frustrating realization that, for how I'm configuring things, they're all basically the same.

1. Sahara - $53,190 sticker*
    1. Black hard-top
    2. I4 w/ auto
    3. full-time 4WD
    4. 8.4" package
    5. Safety Group
    6. Advanced Safety
    7. Cold Weather
    8. Tow package
    9. Gorilla Glass
    10. Remote Proximity/Keyless
    11. Leather
    12. Granite Crystal
  2. Sahara Altitude - $53,595 sticker
    1. Body-color hard-top (included)
    2. I4 w/ auto
    3. full-time 4WD
    4. 8.4" package
    5. Safety Group
    6. Advanced Safety
    7. Cold Weather
    8. Tow package
    9. Gorilla Glass
    11. Leather (included)
    12. Granite Crystal
  3. Sahara 4xe - $57,860, but with the $7,500 tax credit, this drops to $50,360
    1. Black hard-top
    2. I4 w/ auto (included)
    3. full-time 4WD (included)
    4. 8.4" package (included)
    5. Safety Group
    6. Advanced Safety
    7. Cold Weather
    8. Tow Package
    9. Gorilla Glass
    11. Leather (included)
    12. Granite Crystal
I understand the difference between Sahara/Altitude vs 4xe, but between the Sahara and the Sahara Altitude, am I missing something? The only differences I can really tell is black hard-top vs body-color, and the wheels.

The two options that I'm wavering on is tow and safety packages.

I want the tow package for the bigger alternator and pre-wired switches (don't plan to actually tow anything, though it'd be nice to have the receiver already). Is the heavier-duty alternator something I could add on my own later? I don't actually love where the switches are positioned, nor do I have *immediate* plans for lights/etc, but I understand that add these switches later is a ginormous PITA.

The safety package (the regular one, not advanced) seems nice, but if I'm going to get aftermarket bumpers, will those cancel out the sensors? Bumpers is one of my "first 30 days" purchases, so if they're going to prevent that system from working, then I could save $1k right off the bat.

Thoughts/suggestions?

*I don't plan to *pay* sticker, it's just easier for price comparison, etc.
Sponsored

csjlu

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU
Re: Safety, I'm pretty sure all the Safety Group equipment is housed in the LED taillights. Not 100% sure, but mostly.

Re: Tow, I bought my Wrangler off a dealer lot without Tow because it was the only missing option and I didn't want to risk custom ordering given supply chain disruptions. I figured I could piecemeal it in the aftermarket, but I was shocked how expensive it was just to get just the wiring harnesses strung from front to back, let alone the additional hardware. I'd recommend ordering it, even if the probability of you mounting a carrier or trailer is low. It might be the best priced option on the list.

LostSoul

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
future JLUR
Unless you are grouping Anti-Spin Differential Rear Axle ( Limited slip)
with full time 4wd, you should add it.

OP
OP
rcadden

rcadden

First Name
Ricky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Marketing
Clubs

Unless you are grouping Anti-Spin Differential Rear Axle ( Limited slip)
with full time 4wd, you should add it.
The online builder forces it, so yeah I've been including it on the build sheets.

BlackGenesis

First Name
Andrey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Sahara unlimited
Altitude is one of those useless models options that add red rubicon shocks to existing Sahara springs and more aggressive wheels/tires. You will be better off with regiular Sahara and build it better. Full Rubicon used suspension is $150.

Safety sensors in the bumper -you will lose them with aftermarket. Why do you need sensors when you have camera?

Larger alternator hardly provide more current then regular, based earlier on testing .

Last edited:

Sponsored

GalacticMouse

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler JLUS Altitude 2.0L (On Order)
A Sahara Altitude is just a Sahara with an updated cosmetic/trim package.

It comes with...

- Black badging
- Black gloss 18" wheels
- Black inserts/bezels in the grill, lights, and other areas around the vehicle that would otherwise be silver/chrome on a Sahara
- Black Interior trim updates
- Black leather interior
- Mopar hard top headliner
- Body color hardtop

There's no change to the suspension or wheel/tire size over a regular Sahara.

Also, the blind spot and park sensors come in the tail lights I believe. They left them out of the bumpers to account for the fact that so many people upgrade their bumpers to more heavily armored ones after purchase.

Altitude is one of those useless models options that add red rubicon shocks to existing Sahara springs and more aggressive wheels/tires. You will be better off with regiular Sahara and build it better. Full Rubicon used suspension is $150.

Safety sensors in the bumper -you will lose them with aftermarket. Why do you need sensors when you have camera?

Larger alternator hardly provide more current then regular, based earlier on testing .

alksion

First Name
Josiah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Rubicon 392, 21 Sahara Altitude
Occupation
Biz Owner

It comes with...

- Black badging
- Black gloss 18" wheels
- Black inserts/bezels in the grill, lights, and other areas around the vehicle that would otherwise be silver/chrome on a Sahara
- Black leather interior
- Body color hardtop

Also, the blind spot and park sensors come in the tail lights I believe. They left them out of the bumpers to account for the fact that so many people upgrade their bumpers to more heavily armored ones after purchase.
That’s good to know about the tail lights and makes perfect sense. The Altitude also gives the Bridgestone Duelers AT. More of a hybrid street / AT crossover tire, but I think they look nice and have done well for me off road.

OP
OP
rcadden

rcadden

First Name
Ricky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Marketing
Clubs

It comes with...

- Black badging
- Black gloss 18" wheels
- Black leather interior
- Body color hardtop

Super helpful - all of those (minus the body color) are things I'd want anyways, so it sounds like the Altitude is worth it for me. The headliner being included is just icing.

Vkgargus

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tesla Model S
On Sahara Altitude - is the hard top body color and three piece like the regular Sahara ?

Sponsored

sentience

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Lexus GX, 2021 JLU Sahara 4xe
Occupation
bureaucrat@gov
The parking sensors are in the bumper, not in the taillights. The blind spot monitoring sensor is located in the taillights.

snazzysahara

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sahara Altitude
When I built my Jeep, my must haves were: painted hardtop/fenders and leather. The Sahara Altitude package got me those options for a lower cost than adding them to a base Sahara. The more aggressive tires, gloss black rims, and black badging were a bonus. My Sahara Altitude is a duck magnet as well.

t.i.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler buying soon

It comes with...

- Black badging
- Black gloss 18" wheels
- Black leather interior
- Body color hardtop

And I will add to the list, Altitude comes with Napa leather.

MyBandit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 JKU, 2014 Chevy SS, 2015 Chevy SS

It comes with...

- Black badging
- Black gloss 18" wheels
- Black leather interior
- Body color hardtop

Another thing to add is the SAHARA logo is not embossed into the Altitude seats. That was the biggest bonus for me as I hate those logos. There's also a slight difference in the dash too (leather wrapped vs gloss black).

eddified

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Corolla, Ford Transit 350
When I built my Jeep, my must haves were: painted hardtop/fenders and leather. The Sahara Altitude package got me those options for a lower cost than adding them to a base Sahara. The more aggressive tires, gloss black rims, and black badging were a bonus. My Sahara Altitude is a duck magnet as well.
What is "duck magnet"? Is this like a different way of saying "chick magnet"? The honeys like your jeep, is that what you're saying? ;)
Sponsored