Sahara vs Rubicon suspension

dbtran

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Sahara
Is there any difference between a Rubicon and Sahara's stock suspension? Can you bolt on a Rubicon's stock suspension onto a Sahara?
Sponsored

kkuntz01

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon, 2014 Ram 2500 Crew Cab
Is there any difference between a Rubicon and Sahara's stock suspension? Can you bolt on a Rubicon's stock suspension onto a Sahara?

If the JL’s are like past wrangler models the other suspension components “should” be the same (control arms, track bars, drag link, etc) with the exception of the springs, shocks and front sway bar. Because the Rubicon is a more off road oriented than the other Wranger models the spring rates and shocks are going to be different. If you can score a the springs off a Rubicon with the steel bumper package you might be able to score .5”-1” depending on how you Jeep came equipped (hard top or soft top, tow package, no tow package).

OP
OP
dbtran

dbtran

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Sahara
If the JL’s are like past wrangler models the other suspension components “should” be the same (control arms, track bars, drag link, etc) with the exception of the springs, shocks and front sway bar. Because the Rubicon is a more off road oriented than the other Wranger models the spring rates and shocks are going to be different. If you can score a the springs off a Rubicon with the steel bumper package you might be able to score .5”-1” depending on how you Jeep came equipped (hard top or soft top, tow package, no tow package).
Thanks for the reply. I'll try and gather these parts for a complete swap.

4LowPhoto

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
I know the Rubicon is 1.5" over sport as I did it. I have heard the Sahara is .75" taller over sport. So if you have a Sahara you might not notice the .75" if you get rubi parts.

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 2.0T, 1991 YJ rock crawler
Occupation
I make microchips for a living.
Vehicle Showcase
This is our first Jeep and it is my wife's Jeep, went to the dealer and they had a really nice Sahara on the lot so we grabbed it. She would like it to look a little more aggressive hence the Rubi tires and possibly a Rubi suspension.

In hindsight we would have most likely ordered a Rubi or bought one at dealer. Lesson learned.

Do you know the ride comparison between a stock Sahara and Stock Rubi? The Sahara has a very nice ride and I don't want the ride to stiffen much since this is her daily driver with some off road fun now and again.

I have an opportunity to buy Rubi rims/tires and I know at hard articulation I will rub but I don't plan on doing that much rock crawling. The guy said (he's a specialized aftermarket dealer, well respected) that I can throw the rims/tires on with no problem for daily driving and off roading. The Rubi rim/tires will give it a more aggressive look and if I add the Rubi suspension it will really look great and give me more off road capability.

Sponsored

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport S JL 2-D
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Professional dancer/male stripper
Sahara owners have reported little if any lift from rubi swaps. You will get better articulation when disconnected though, and a stiffer ride. My wife says she prefers stiffer than soft.

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 2.0T, 1991 YJ rock crawler
Occupation
I make microchips for a living.
Vehicle Showcase
Sahara owners have reported little if any lift from rubi swaps. You will get better articulation when disconnected though, and a stiffer ride. My wife says she prefers stiffer than soft.
Most wives do...
Sponsored