Sponsored

Sahara vs. Rubicon in Salty Air

bigbaozi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler Unlimited Sport S
Not too rough, I’m sure the Sahara would be fine. The cool factor is hard to pass up but I don’t know if I can justify it for 10k
Yeah, that's why we bought a Sport. I still haven't found anywhere I wanted to go that it couldn't, and the Rubicons were scraping on the same obstacles we were at the Adventure Academy.

631_Islander

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Unlimited Rubicon with 8 speed and 3.6L Pentastar without eTorque
I’m buying a new Wrangler next week to take with me to the US Virgin Islands- read: saltwater, sand, and constant sun. Deciding between a 2019 Sahara (Mojito) and 2020 Rubicon (Bikini Pearl).
Which features will hold up better with lots of salt, top down 24/7, etc? Especially deciding between leather vs. cloth seats (leather will get hot but wipes down easy, cloth doesn’t dry as fast but stays cooler, that kind of thing) and 3-piece hard top vs. sky one touch top.
The Rubicon is $10k higher, don’t know if it’s worth it.
I live on Long Island where the summer weather is same as Virgin Islands are year round. Our summer environment is also the same with nothing but beaches, saltwater and sand all around us. Our Winters however can be very cold and snowy. I have a JLU Rubicon but can easily get away with a Sahara. I bought it mainly for the looks than anything otherwise the Rubicon is overkill on Long Island for sure.

For the Virgin Islands I would recommend sticking to cloth seats if you don’t have small kids. I have a 3 year old and because of her we opted for leather seats as kids can make messes while leather is easier to clean their messes versus cloth. If you want to get leather, I would recommend getting Beige leather as Black leather will burn thighs and asses in the tropical sun. I have Beige and cant be any happier in the summer when the sun is beating down and I have my soft top folded while the Jeep has been parked underneath the Sun for hours.

edit: for Top I would recommend the Premium Soft top in your case. But if crime is a problem consider the Hard Top then and just remove Freedom Panels. The Sky One Touch is good option but over time Salty air may corrode your joints. If you want the SOT just make sure to inspect it once every two years and appropriately treat the joints as needed for rust. I myself run Soft Top in Summer but Hard Top in Winter (Dual Top Group).

OP
OP
jpusvi

jpusvi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Grand Cherokee
I live on Long Island where the summer weather is same as Virgin Islands are year round. Our summer environment is also the same with nothing but beaches, saltwater and sand all around us. Our Winters however can be very cold and snowy. I have a JLU Rubicon but can easily get away with a Sahara. I bought it mainly for the looks than anything otherwise the Rubicon is overkill on Long Island for sure.

For the Virgin Islands I would recommend sticking to cloth seats if you don’t have small kids. I have a 3 year old and because of her we opted for leather seats as kids can make messes while leather is easier to clean their messes versus cloth. If you want to get leather, I would recommend getting Beige leather as Black leather will burn thighs and asses in the tropical sun. I have Beige and cant be any happier in the summer when the sun is beating down and I have my soft top folded while the Jeep has been parked underneath the Sun for hours.
thanks for that. I do have a preschooler but if I go with cloth I might have to cough up the extra for the neoprene covers. Wonder which would dry out faster with the pop-up showers they get on the daily

631_Islander

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Unlimited Rubicon with 8 speed and 3.6L Pentastar without eTorque
thanks for that. I do have a preschooler but if I go with cloth I might have to cough up the extra for the neoprene covers. Wonder which would dry out faster with the pop-up showers the get on the daily
In your case I would vote for Factory Beige Leather then (AKA dark saddle). It will be $1500 well spent given your kid.

Sponsored

JeepTime

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon
Something else to consider if you’re going to keep the Jeep outside, and in the event of a hurricane leave it outside there while you leave. The hardtop would probably do better than the soft top in such conditions as far as getting broken from weather.

another consideration is with the hardtop you get the rear windshield wiper if visibility out the rear window is important during rainy conditions. I live in FL so to me it is.

you could also get the hardtop, and with the money you saved not buying a rubicon, get the bestop sunrider for hardtop for easy open air access, and if you have to leave for a storm it’s a 10 minute swap out back to the freedom panels

CT_LFC

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Volvo XC90 / JLUR
Are there options differences? To me the Alpine, 8.4in, proximity entry, remote start and tow package (particularly for the extra switches) would be must-haves so if the Sahara didn’t have this I would probably go with the Rubicon. On the other hand, I find the bikini pearl to be the worst color Jeep offers on JLs so that alone may keep me from the Rubicon no matter what.

OP
OP
jpusvi

jpusvi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Grand Cherokee
Are there options differences? To me the Alpine, 8.4in, proximity entry, remote start and tow package (particularly for the extra switches) would be must-haves so if the Sahara didn’t have this I would probably go with the Rubicon. On the other hand, I find the bikini pearl to be the worst color Jeep offers on JLs so that alone may keep me from the Rubicon no matter what.
With that last comment I’m not sure I can trust your judgment! Both have proximity entry, remote start, tow package, and 8.4.

CT_LFC

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Volvo XC90 / JLUR
With that last comment I’m not sure I can trust your judgment! Both have proximity entry, remote start, tow package, and 8.4.
haha, yea I truly do not like BP. Think it’s going to age horribly. Since both have those packages I think Sahara is the easy choice.

Sponsored

OP
OP
jpusvi

jpusvi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Grand Cherokee
One model rusts less than the other? Why was I not told this
Was worried about the Sky One Touch on the Rubicon holding up to corrosive elements over time. Obviously there will be no difference between the models in plenty of other categories

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
Go Sahara. Rubicon is prone to locking diff failure requiring VERY EXPENSIVE complete axle replacements.

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...or-potting-dana-44.59581/page-26#post-1516610
Lol, what a ridiculous reason to avoid the Rubicon. A simple electronic sensor malfunction. I assume you haven’t heard of the significant mechanical failures of the D44 LSD’s?

OP, why are you stuck on these two particular Jeeps? The price difference in a similarly equipped Rubicon and Sahara is not 10k. Don’t let the sellers get you.

OP
OP
jpusvi

jpusvi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Grand Cherokee
Lol, what a ridiculous reason to avoid the Rubicon. A simple electronic sensor malfunction. I assume you haven’t heard of the significant mechanical failures of the D44 LSD’s?

OP, why are you stuck on these two particular Jeeps? The price difference in a similarly equipped Rubicon and Sahara is not 10k. Don’t let the sellers get you.
The Rubicon is a year newer with fewer miles, sky one touch, and leather. The top alone is a $4k upgrade
Sponsored