Sponsored

Sahara vs Rubicon build only $508 price difference?!

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
Bigger and better tires on the Rubi are worth something, too. Btw, the big brakes do make a big difference. They are not that much bigger than my JK brakes, but the difference in stopping distance is substantial. I thought my JK's brakes were decent until I drove the JL Rubi. Also, my JK's brake rotors and pads are brand new and better than stock, so the gap would be further apart with stock JK brakes.
Sponsored

OP
OP

JeepJLNC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hyundai Ioniq Plug-in Hybrid
Select Trac is a nice option, but we only get a few snowstorms a year where I live and I'm sure I'll be fine in 2Hi with those 33" BFGs, and during extreme weather, I'll be putting it in 4Hi anyway.

The Pooch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Plus you get the electronic lockers, sway bar disconnects, heavier duty suspension and bigger brakes. Kind of a no brainer!

These sound like a big deal to me, but I've heard other members say that they "rarely use them" and that the "Limited Slip is close in performance as physical lockers".
You also get the high line fenders, hood vents, can fit 35s with no additional mods, and runs on the 4.10 gears. I agree, it's a no brainer and my buddy is kicking himself for not paying the 4k difference to get the Rubicon instead of the Sahara.

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, 2017 Chevy Tahoe
Build Thread
Link
They are so close because you picked different options, heck I can get a Rubicon cheaper than a Sahara if I don’t option the same. It’s actually roughly $3000 higher for similar Rubicon and Sahara.
Yes, but in fairness he optioned it the way HE would option it if he bought it.

OP
OP

JeepJLNC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yes, but in fairness he optioned it the way HE would option it if he bought it.
Yes what ThrityOne said. I like the Sahara, it just needs to be alot cheaper. At my local dealership, there were around 20 Sahara's but only 1 Rubicon and it was already sold.

Sponsored

Jeep=N+1

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JKU ruby, 2000 TJ Saraha, 97 TJ SE.
These two vehicles are not even in the same class. One is designed as a luxury jeep, and the other a more than capable rock crawler. Yes, I have owned versions of both models. No the limited slip is not at all like the lockers in the rocks. The larger brakes are related to the largest tires size offered on the stock vehicle. The select track is designed for easy use in slippery conditions. Rock track is designed for high torque gear reduction for crawling. I don't see there is any reason to offer a select track on a rubicon. But that is just my opinion.

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, 2017 Chevy Tahoe
Build Thread
Link
There is no question the Rubicon is a better value and looks badass. The question that I think a lot of people have to ask themselves (myself included) is do I buy the Rubicon because it's badass even if I am not going to do any serious off-roading in it?

I chose the Sport. But if you are looking at a Sahara versus a Rubicon it is a harder decision. Because frankly you get nothing by going for the Sahara you don't get on the Rubicon other than AWD and the OP is in NC and we really don't need it. And the price difference is minimal. And if you lease or plan to sell down the road the Rubicon will actually be cheaper.

They really shouldn't be that close. I think the Rubicon is properly priced but the Sport and Sahara are priced too high to really have the differentiation there should be for the features in the Rubicon.

LeaN69

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 JLUR 4xe / 23 Bolt EUV / 22 Camaro SS 1LE
I see that you guys are confused about the "Selec-Trac Full Time 4WD System" and the name itself is misleading. I have the same thing in my Ram1500 and it is NOT a full time "awd" system.

Here's direct explanation from jeep.com:
  • The new Selec-Trac® Full-Time Four-Wheel-Drive System includes a 2.72:1 low range. This two-speed, active full-time system includes a 4H AUTO mode that requires no driver input for any driving conditions. In 4H AUTO, 4WD is automatically engaged and disengaged as needed to maintain traction.
its a 4H mode with the ability to engage and disengage when it senses slipping and ive seen them brake with constant use on ram.

Personally I have it and find it useless, just keep it in 4H.

OP
OP

JeepJLNC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
These two vehicles are not even in the same class. One is designed as a luxury jeep, and the other a more than capable rock crawler. Yes, I have owned versions of both models.
Which one did you like better and why? Would you ever by a Sahara again?

Tim W.

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Dragon Edition
There is no question the Rubicon is a better value and looks badass. The question that I think a lot of people have to ask themselves (myself included) is do I buy the Rubicon because it's badass even if I am not going to do any serious off-roading in it?

I chose the Sport. But if you are looking at a Sahara versus a Rubicon it is a harder decision. Because frankly you get nothing by going for the Sahara you don't get on the Rubicon other than AWD and the OP is in NC and we really don't need it. And the price difference is minimal. And if you lease or plan to sell down the road the Rubicon will actually be cheaper.

They really shouldn't be that close. I think the Rubicon is properly priced but the Sport and Sahara are priced too high to really have the differentiation there should be for the features in the Rubicon.
Hey All, late to the thread but couldn't resist as I 2nd guess my order for Rubicon because of looks. (Mostly sweet hood and aggressive tire)
That said, using build site for comparable Jeeps:
Sahara Automatic & Anti-spin is $41,290 add Selec-Trac goes to 42,480.
Rubicon Automatic $44,835.
That's a big amount if you don't plan on rock crawling. All Wrangled are great on light trails. Also Sahara ride is noticeably better. Selec-Trac should reduce wheel hop for winter road driving as well as auto transfer. Also adds side steps, useful to assist with operating soft top, washing and kids. So there is an increased cost along with a couple trade offs.
Interesting point that lease pymt. is very close due to higher residual value of Rubicon.

Get what's right for you that where the real value is.

Sponsored

OP
OP

JeepJLNC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Well in my area, all the dealerships are sold out of Rubicons, the ones on the lot are mostly Sahara's, and a few Sport's. When I looked at my sales rep's computer, I saw about 40 pre-orders of Rubicons and not much else. That should tell you something. My Rubi will not be a daily driver, so the worse ride quality (primarily because of the tires and firmer suspension I presume) is something I am okay with.

kkuntz01

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon, 2014 Ram 2500 Crew Cab
Everyone wants a Rubicon, however not everyone needs a Rubicon.

As far as aesthetics go, just because a Rubicon looks bad ass out the gate doesn't mean a thing. I've seen guys build plain jane Sport's into wicked looking monsters on 40's with Hemi's on coilovers.

My 2¢ is think about how you're going to be using the vehicle. If it's around town with the occasional off road trip, or you plan to play in mud a lot a Sport or Sahara would probably suit you best and you can mod it to fit your needs. If you plan to do a lot of off roading a good portion of it involves rock crawling the Rubicon would be the better choice.

OP
OP

JeepJLNC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I agree, although modding the Sahara with bigger tires and lift seems to make less sense to be me since your going to lose the ride quality it was tuned for.

Jeep=N+1

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JKU ruby, 2000 TJ Saraha, 97 TJ SE.
Which one did you like better and why? Would you ever by a Sahara again?
I personally prefer the Rubicon. I have a Sahara TJ right now, with a limited slip rear and a lunch box locker front. I have had Rubicons in the past and have one on order right now. The Rock track is an awesome transfer case with more than enough gear reduction for crawling and running larger tires. The Sahara on the other hand is much nicer on the inside. Feels more like a luxury SUV. The Sahara is very capable, but will require mods if you plan to really use it. I had a choice when I ordered this last JLUR and chose the R, because the latest version has most of the luxury and all of the capability. I will be keeping my TJ as well. I am after all a Jeep fan. Love em all.
Sponsored