Sponsored

Sahara vs Rubicon build only $508 price difference?!

JeepJLNC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hyundai Ioniq Plug-in Hybrid
Sport Unlimited Quotes:
$33,651 -Automatic & A/C

Sahara:

Options: -Leather (I don't like the standard cloth)
-Anti-Spin/Dana 44 Axle
-Select Tract Full Time 4WD (a reason why I'm interested in the Sahara)
$41,723

Rubicon
-Premium Cloth included (I like this much better than the Standard Cloth on other trims and wouldn't choose leather)
-Dana 44 Axles Standard
-Rock Trak Transfer Case and 33" All Terrain Tires included (no need for select trak 4WD with those kind of tires)
$42,231

Difference $508

So I'm trying to figure out why the prices are so close together? When you have the higher resale and more standard features, seems like the Rubicon is the true winner here.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Mojito Mojo

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Apache Junction, AZ and North Mankato, MN
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mojito Rubicon JLU, 2004 Corvette convertible, 2015 HD Road Glide, 2014 Indian Chief Vintage
Occupation
Retired
Sahara Quote:
Options: -Leather (I don't like the standard cloth)
-Anti-Spin/Dana 44 Axle
-Select Tract Full Time 4WD (a reason why I'm interested in the Sahara)
$41,723

Rubicon
-Premium Cloth included (I like this much better than the Standard Cloth on other trims and wouldn't choose leather)
-Dana 44 Axles Standard
-Rock Trak Transfer Case and 33" All Terrain Tires included (no need for select trak 4WD with those kind of tires)
$42,231

Difference $508

So I'm trying to figure out why the prices are so close together? When you have the higher resale and more standard features, seems like the Rubicon is the true winner here.
Plus you get the electronic lockers, sway bar disconnects, heavier duty suspension and bigger brakes. Kind of a no brainer!

OP
OP

JeepJLNC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Plus you get the electronic lockers, sway bar disconnects, heavier duty suspension and bigger brakes. Kind of a no brainer!
These sound like a big deal to me, but I've heard other members say that they "rarely use them" and that the "Limited Slip is close in performance as physical lockers".

momo1315

Well, it's not really an apples to apples comparison they way you are looking at it.

The breakdown will look something like this if you want a comparison that is fairer.

Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara - MSRP $39,290
  • Anti-Spin Differential Rear Axle - $595
  • Selec Trac Full Time 4WD System - $595
  • 8-Speed Automatic Transmission - $2,000
Total MSRP: $42,480

Jeep Wrangler Rubicon - MSRP $42,440
Total MSRP: $44,480

You're looking at $2,000 difference in price. I took out leather because even though you prefer premium cloth to leather it doesn't make sense to put a $1,495 option on 1 vehicle and not the other and then compare the cost.

Mojito Mojo

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mojito Rubicon JLU, 2004 Corvette convertible, 2015 HD Road Glide, 2014 Indian Chief Vintage
Occupation
Retired
Well, it's not really an apples to apples comparison they way you are looking at it.

The breakdown will look something like this if you want a comparison that is fairer.

Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara - MSRP $39,290
  • Anti-Spin Differential Rear Axle - $595
Total MSRP: $42,480

Jeep Wrangler Rubicon - MSRP $42,440
Total MSRP: $44,480

You're looking at $2,000 difference in price. I took out leather because even though you prefer premium cloth to leather it doesn't make sense to put a $1,495 option on 1 vehicle and not the other and then compare the cost.
True, but the cost of the MOPAR big brake kit is $895, plus at least $500 for installation, so now you are back to that $600 price differential and you get all the other goodies and the 33” tires. In my mind the Rubi is the better value initially and will have a higher resale value.

Sponsored

OP
OP

JeepJLNC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
It does because there is a vast difference between the basic cheap looking cloth of the Sport/Sahara vs the Premium Cloth of the Rubicon which uses ballistic nylon and honeycomb patterns which will hold up far longer than either of the of others.

df1676d0-a7eb-421d-9fc2-e1589b1b7e99-jpeg-jpg.jpg

10140.jpg

NM Original

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 Jeep GC Overland, 2005 Chevy SSR, 2007 BMW 650-GS, 2015 CanAm F3, 2018 Wrangler JL Rubicon Turbo, 2Door (on order)
I ended up going with the Rubicon, but I really wish it had the option for the

Prevok

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara Punk'N 2.0T 2018
Occupation
IT Tech Lead in the video game industry
Vehicle Showcase
I went with the Sahara, because of Selec-Trac. We can have tough winters and some form of AWD system is a big plus. Short of Select-Trac, I don't think there is much that justify the Sahara. In Canada one nice thing is that it ships with the Hard Top, so there is a bit of a discount there, but in USA, the Rubicon looks like a better deal, optioned or not.

Jeepsterfreak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda, Future JLU
True, but the cost of the MOPAR big brake kit is $895, plus at least $500 for installation, so now you are back to that $600 price differential and you get all the other goodies and the 33” tires. In my mind the Rubi is the better value initially and will have a higher resale value.
Pretty certain big brake kit is standard in Sahara also.

Mojito Mojo

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
Pretty certain big brake kit is standard in Sahara also.
I know this has been questioned before. I’m only going by what someone else posted before who said the description on the MOPAR parts site says “fits Sahara and Sport Models” which led us to believe big brakes didn’t come standard?

*Edited: I did go on several sites and did not see the above quoted fitment description. It just said fits 2018 JL and JLU models.

Last edited:

Sponsored

COBoarder

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUS Ocean Blue
The Sahara will also include painted fenders if that’s important to you.

My Sahara vs Rubicon build was close in price but the Select-Trac pushed me to the Sahara and the gear ratio and softer suspension in the Sahara seemed a little more commuter and light trail friendly.

Jeepsterfreak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda, Future JLU
I know this has been questioned before. I’m only going by what someone else posted before who said the description on the MOPAR parts site says “fits Sahara and Sport Models” which led us to believe big brakes didn’t come standard?

*Edited: I did go on several sites and did not see the above quoted fitment description. It just said fits 2018 JL and JLU models.
Sahara also gets big brakes according to FCA press release. Same as Rubi.

http://chryslermedia.iconicweb.com/mediasite/specs/2018_JP_Wrangler_SPqqqbu093eu5bvdt6d69jkbljjo.pdf

wranglerguyman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon
Sahara does get big brakes. Sahara and rubicon’s come standard with if brakes. Sport and Sport S do not.

Jeepsterfreak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda, Future JLU
Sahara does get big brakes. Sahara and rubicon’s come standard with if brakes. Sport and Sport S do not.
Not a huge difference between sport and sahara/rubi brakes. Big Brakes? Only the rear rotor is 1/2” larger in diameter. Front and rear rotors 2-4 mm wider and caliper pistons 3mm larger in diameter. Geez, why would Jeep choose to inventory more parts than necessary. Just put “big brakes” on all trims.

12.9 x .94 (330 x 24) vented rotor – Sport
12.9 x 1.1 (330 x 28) vented rotor – Sahara and Rubicon
1.88 (48) twin-piston floating caliper – Sport
2 (51) twin-piston floating caliper – Sahara and Rubicon

12.9 x .47 (328 x 12) solid rotor – Sport
13.4 x .55 (342 x 14) solid rotor – Sahara and Rubicon
1.77 (45) single-piston floating caliper – Sport
1.88 (48) single-piston floating caliper – Sahara and Rubicon

$uicide$hift

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
Not a huge difference between sport and sahara/rubi brakes. Big Brakes? Only the rear rotor is 1/2” larger in diameter. Front and rear rotors 2-4 mm wider and caliper pistons 3mm larger in diameter. Geez, why would Jeep choose to inventory more parts than necessary. Just put “big brakes” on all trims.

12.9 x .94 (330 x 24) vented rotor – Sport
12.9 x 1.1 (330 x 28) vented rotor – Sahara and Rubicon
1.88 (48) twin-piston floating caliper – Sport
2 (51) twin-piston floating caliper – Sahara and Rubicon

12.9 x .47 (328 x 12) solid rotor – Sport
13.4 x .55 (342 x 14) solid rotor – Sahara and Rubicon
1.77 (45) single-piston floating caliper – Sport
1.88 (48) single-piston floating caliper – Sahara and Rubicon
I assume there would be a price difference and although small when buying one set imagine how many FCA buys. Even with bulk purchasing if one set is cheaper multiply that by how many units are sold. I am sure there is a big difference when building the number of vehicles they build.
Sponsored