First Name
Blake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Wrangler Sahara
Vehicle Showcase
Hello All,

I’ve been following a lot of these thread and have seen some great advice, but need a push taking the plunge on wheels/tires/lift.

I do 99% on road driving, will just be fire trails off. I have kids in car seats so I’m a bit worried about reaching to strap them in. Mostly very short commute less than 5 minutes, but occasional longer trips on interstate. My wife and I dig the aggressive, big tire look, but I’ve also been warned to “not ruin it”, meaning the easy, smooth stock ride. I’d like to spend less than $3k.

Do I do 33s and no lift?
33s with leveling kit/small spacer?
35s with Rubicon take off?
35s with Rough Country 2.5” spacer?

Thank you
Sponsored

daveprice7

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sport 2DR, 2020 Willys 2DR
Occupation
Nerd
35s with stock gearing might be pushing it.. I don't know for a fact, but your 8spd will likely never see those upper gears again and first gear might be fairly lethargic from a stop.

I'd stick to 33s and just get some spacers if you don't actually need the articulation. That should keep your good ride quality.

Foster1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUS
I have the rc 2.5 spacer lift. If you have kids in the back all the time, I wouldn't get it tbh. I wouldn't say it's stiff but I notice a difference from the stock ride. I have 35s but I have the 2.0 and it seems to handle the big tires fine.

I recommend getting Rubicon suspension and 34's (285/75r17). That will keep it most near stock in terms of ride and power, but give it a nice look. There is a thread somewhere in the wheels and tires section for 34s, I recommend checking it out.

word302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
I have the rc 2.5 spacer lift. If you have kids in the back all the time, I wouldn't get it tbh. I wouldn't say it's stiff but I notice a difference from the stock ride. I have 35s but I have the 2.0 and it seems to handle the big tires fine.

I recommend getting Rubicon suspension and 34's (285/75r17). That will keep it most near stock in terms of ride and power, but give it a nice look. There is a thread somewhere in the wheels and tires section for 34s, I recommend checking it out.
Which is funny because a spacer lift should yield the exact same ride as before.

Foster1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUS
Which is funny because a spacer lift should yield the exact same ride as before.
Never had a spacer lift before so decided to try it. The ride is not bad at all, but I do feel a difference. I would still recommend it to people.
But if you're gonna have kids in the back all the time, something factory like the rubicon suspension would be a better option.

Sponsored

word302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
Never had a spacer lift before so decided to try it. The ride is not bad at all, but I do feel a difference. I would still recommend it to people.
But if you're gonna have kids in the back all the time, something factory like the rubicon suspension would be a better option.
That's just it, you're ride shouldn't have changed at all. You are using the stock springs and shocks. Did you swap tires too?

Foster1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUS
That's just it, you're ride shouldn't have changed at all. You are using the stock springs and shocks. Did you swap tires too?
Yeah but even before that I felt a difference.
Idk I feel the little cracks in the road more than before. Maybe it's just in my head?
I offroad a lot and ride is the same there though.

OP
OP
Ridgmont

Ridgmont

First Name
Blake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Wrangler Sahara
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks guys. I think the Falken Wildpeak 275/75/r17 is a great middle ground. Rubicon swap and small spacer/leveling seems to make the most sense for lift.

Foster1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUS
Thanks guys. I think the Falken Wildpeak 275/75/r17 is a great middle ground. Rubicon swap and small spacer/leveling seems to make the most sense for lift.
How much lift does that get?
If you dig the aggressive lifted look, you could just try the rough country kit, I got mine for $180.
Ride isn't bad at all, sorry if I made it seem worse than it actually is.
I would feel bad if you look at your jeep after everything is done and not love the look with the Rubicon swap.
EDIT: I asked my friends who have been in my jeep and they said that they don't notice a difference in ride after the lift. So maybe it is just in my head lol

Last edited:
OP
OP
Ridgmont

Ridgmont

First Name
Blake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Wrangler Sahara
Vehicle Showcase
If you dig the aggressive lifted look,
If you dig the aggressive lifted look, you could just try the rough country kit, I got mine for $180.
Ride isn't bad at all, sorry if I made it seem worse than it actually is.
I would feel bad if you look at your jeep after everything is done and not love the look with the Rubicon swap.
No, you didn’t scare me off. The RC with 34s might actually be simpler overall. Everything else I’ve read is that the ride difference is negligible.

Sahara to Rubicon full swap, from what I’ve read, is 0.75” then everyone adds a 0.5” spacer to the front. You’d get 1.5” if you have a Sport.

The RC I think is too tall for 33s so the Rubicon swap seems right if I go with the smaller tire. 34s are probably the sweet spot for lift so I’ve been looking all over for photo examples of each.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Ridgmont

Ridgmont

First Name
Blake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Wrangler Sahara
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks for all the advice. Went with 2.5” RC, 295/70/r18 Wildpeaks, spacers, and RC Dual steering stabilizer.

A789CEE7-C7B5-4AC2-BE23-C23D51D8DE52.jpeg

C02946A0-3AE3-4F8E-BF7E-EA4ABECE096C.jpeg

A1213036-1A4B-41AB-8537-3A63A49D7B8D.jpeg

OP
OP
Ridgmont

Ridgmont

First Name
Blake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Wrangler Sahara
Vehicle Showcase
How is the ride? Looks great!
Really about the same when in a straight line and bumps. There’s more body roll due to the height, but that’s to be expected.

I think the steering stabilization is key, it feels really solid and maybe better than with the stock tires even, but hard to say.

Adamwest21

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler 80th
Really about the same when in a straight line and bumps. There’s more body roll due to the height, but that’s to be expected.

I think the steering stabilization is key, it feels really solid and maybe better than with the stock tires even, but hard to say.
Hey friend, did you use wheel spacers on the oe wheels?
Sponsored