Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah to second everyone else here, the 2H-->4H shift, and especially the 4H to 4L shift is so stiff when new that it'll take a bunch of shifts and a few miles to get it operating smooth. Should be fairly easy after a little while. If you plan on off roading a lot, not having Selec-Trac is probably a better play long term. If you're really pushing the system you can overheat the clutches and cause slip / a forced disabling of 4x4 while it cools. The straight up 2H/4H/4L box is a better bet for truly locked 4x4.

Nice Jeep, enjoy it! IMO, best first upgrade for a Sahara is a set of Rubicon KO2 33" takeoffs.
Again, using Selec-Trac in PART-TIME mode on the trail is just like your regular Command-Trac: there’s NO clutch burning or overheating, and the transfer case locks 50-50 front to rear.
Sponsored

jessedacri

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bright White 2dr JL Rubicon 3.6
Again, using Selec-Trac in Part-Time mode on the trail is just like your regular Command-Trac: there’s NO clutch burning or overheating, and the transfer case locks 50-50 front and rear.
Are you positive about that? We managed to overheat my buddy's - or at least that's what it seems like it did - after a ton of 4L wheelspin trying to clear an obstacle we got a SERV 4WD light and what seemed to be clutch smell. Hasn't happened in over a year since, but was scary when on the side of a mountain.

OP
OP
WiseguyDS

WiseguyDS

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
The 8-speed automatic and Selec-Trac are 2 different things: one is the transmission, the other is the 4WD transfer case.

The easiest way to check if you have Selec-Trac is if your 4WD shifter and indicator —inside the tachometer— has two 4H positions: one 4H Auto, the other 4H Part-Time. If it only shows one 4H position, then you have the and-Trac pCommart-time 4WD system.

Do your 4WD shifter and indicator look like this?
1596566473990.png

1596566380198.jpeg
Definitely don't have the 4H Automatic selection which made me double-check once I got back from the trip. I've got the Command-Trac for sure.

OP
OP
WiseguyDS

WiseguyDS

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Is that Pismo Beach? I miss going to the sand dunes there.
That is the Great Sand Dunes off I-8 just north of the Mexican border in So-Cal. If you like off-roading in sand, try Galveston Island next time you're in Texas!

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2017 Honda Accord, 2014 Yamaha XVS 1300
Occupation
Retired Marine, Construction Estimator
Vehicle Showcase
That is the Great Sand Dunes off I-8 just north of the Mexican border in So-Cal. If you like off-roading in sand, try Galveston Island next time you're in Texas!
Been through there plenty of times driving to Yuma. Didn't get to drive on those dunes though.

Sponsored

OP
OP
WiseguyDS

WiseguyDS

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
IMO, best first upgrade for a Sahara is a set of Rubicon KO2 33" takeoffs.
Roger that - I've spent hours reading up on past threads, especially the iconic one "I just don't get Saharas". Made me laugh a time or two... no I'm not a mall-crawler.. but I do like my creature comforts along with spending time in natural country settings.

Actually I do want to replace the Sahara stock wheels with one that has a combo brushed steel and black along with those 33's or better. Once the larger meats on it, I'll take a look at it's profile and decide on whether a suspension lift will happen. Either way, those side boards are coming off in favor of the black steel drop side-steps before I start thinking about changing the front bumper.
Jeep Wrangler JL Sahara Selec-trac, transfer case use: total noob question 20200721_094029

This is on the way to So-Cal on I-8 in Arizona.

jessedacri

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Roger that - I've spent hours reading up on past threads, especially the iconic one "I just don't get Saharas". Made me laugh a time or two... no I'm not a mall-crawler.. but I do like my creature comforts along with spending time in natural country settings.

Actually I do want to replace the Sahara stock wheels with one that has a combo brushed steel and black along with those 33's or better. Once the larger meats on it, I'll take a look at it's profile and decide on whether a suspension lift will happen. Either way, those side boards are coming off in favor of the black steel drop side-steps before I start thinking about changing the front bumper.
20200721_094029.jpg

This is on the way to So-Cal on I-8 in Arizona.

We did this same KO2 takeoff swap on my buddy's Sahara and we definitely dig the side profile but are planning on lifting it a little since we drag the belly on trails. If you're only looking at light off-roading you can get away with stock height. I don't have any true side shots of his rig but here's a couple to get an idea of a similar color Sahara with the swap.

We also completely tore up his stock plastic steps since these were taken and have since swapped them to Rubicon rails in the interim.

Jeep Wrangler JL Sahara Selec-trac, transfer case use: total noob question IMG_6745

Jeep Wrangler JL Sahara Selec-trac, transfer case use: total noob question IMG_4579.JPG

SecondTJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
Again, using Selec-Trac in PART-TIME mode on the trail is just like your regular Command-Trac: there’s NO clutch burning or overheating, and the transfer case locks 50-50 front to rear.
4H in Selec-Trac’s is 50/50 split like Command-Trac, but it’s not engaged the same way. I

It “locks” the clutch packs for the 50/50 split. Yes, you can still overheat them in 4H or 4L

OP
OP
WiseguyDS

WiseguyDS

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
We did this same KO2 takeoff swap on my buddy's Sahara and we definitely dig the side profile but are planning on lifting it a little since we drag the belly on trails. If you're only looking at light off-roading you can get away with stock height. I don't have any true side shots of his rig but here's a couple to get an idea of a similar color Sahara with the swap.

We also completely tore up his stock plastic steps since these were taken and have since swapped them to Rubicon rails in the interim.

IMG_6745.jpeg

IMG_4579.JPG
That's a pretty Jeep. I like the way the tires fill out the fender wells. Are those the 33"'s you mentioned? What's the maximum width the Sahara can take? I'd like to recover 2"-3" clearance somehow if I can.

RDiddy

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 manual Sahara
That's a pretty Jeep. I like the way the tires fill out the fender wells. Are those the 33"'s you mentioned? What's the maximum width the Sahara can take? I'd like to recover 2"-3" clearance somehow if I can.
If you go with wheel spacers or a negative offset and don't mind your wheel sticking out past your well you can go virtually as wide as you want lol

Sponsored

jessedacri

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yeah, these are the factory spec Rubicon 285/70/17 (33") BFG KO2s on the Rubicon wheels - we picked up all five wheels and tires + TPMS in nearly brand new condition for under $1k from a Rubicon owner who took them off. That's the beauty of jumping to this specific size, there's so many full sets out there that you can score a set off of a Rubicon for much cheaper than you could otherwise buy 5 of these tires and a set of wheels for. These are really only about an inch taller than the factory tires, but the off road performance and confidence is greatly increased.

I believe you can go up to a 35" but the bigger you go the more sluggish the Jeep gets due to the stock gearing, and the higher the possibility of rubbing if you're flexing your suspension. If you're looking for clearance, I would look into a small lift anywhere from, say, an AEV spacer lift or if you want better wheeling performance something like a Rock Krawler 2.5 Flex kit. Mopar lift is alright but doesn't quite come with everything you truly want for a proper lift and geometry correction. If you want to step it up bigger than the factory 33s, a 35" BFG KO2 runs small compared to other tire brands and you could likely get away with the beefier tire.

:edit: another quick and easy option for a little more ground clearance is picking up stock Rubicon takeoff suspension. Another easy buy that can be had on the used market for under $300 that gives you another 1-1.5" over stock Sahara height.

OP
OP
WiseguyDS

WiseguyDS

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yeah, these are the factory spec Rubicon 285/70/17 (33") BFG KO2s on the Rubicon wheels - we picked up all five wheels and tires + TPMS in nearly brand new condition for under $1k from a Rubicon owner who took them off.
That's good advice. I was hoping for maybe a couple more inches so those plus a 2" lift might look pretty good. Thanks!

Gazelle

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR 4xe ordered 11/6/20; delivered 5/13/21
Build Thread
Link
...after a ton of 4L wheelspin trying to clear an obstacle we got a SERV 4WD light and what seemed to be clutch smell...
Thanks for that description. I've been looking for any anecdotes where a selec-trac overheated while locked into one of the part time gears. All I've seen so far were two instances of overheating when possibly or definitely in 4Auto. I'm still trying to decide if I should order the standard Rock-trac or the newly available Rock-trac with 4Auto.

I assume your friend's Sahara has an open front and at most a limited slip rear diff? I wonder if the transfer case would have overheated in that situation with fully locked front & rear diff's?

Sorry for a little off-topic question, @WiseguyDS. Hopefully it may help others.

OP
OP
WiseguyDS

WiseguyDS

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Just to close out this thread - I've got a couple acres here so I put the Jeep on the "back 40" and we went round n round a few trees. It's shifting just fine now. I think in the beginning I was trying to ease it in to 4H but with everyone's input I put a little more command in to the command track and it's shifting smooth now. Thanks all.

YYCSahara

First Name
BDLL
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara 2.0T
Thanks for that description. I've been looking for any anecdotes where a selec-trac overheated while locked into one of the part time gears. All I've seen so far were two instances of overheating when possibly or definitely in 4Auto. I'm still trying to decide if I should order the standard Rock-trac or the newly available Rock-trac with 4Auto.

I assume your friend's Sahara has an open front and at most a limited slip rear diff? I wonder if the transfer case would have overheated in that situation with fully locked front & rear diff's?

Sorry for a little off-topic question, @WiseguyDS. Hopefully it may help others.
I have the Selec Trac and go out a fair amount. I only use 4Auto in winter driving though. When I hit the trail, it always goes into 4H or 4L.

Haven't had any overheating, but I've only ever really done maybe 30 min of 4L at most at a time...

For those interested, here is a stock suspension with 33s and procomp 7069s at a pretty good flex.

Jeep Wrangler JL Sahara Selec-trac, transfer case use: total noob question IMG_9070.JPEG
Sponsored