Sahara Selec-trac, transfer case use: total noob question

WiseguyDS

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
I‘m trying to come up to speed here. My 4x4 history is with a Ford F-150, select 2 or 4H, or 4L and get going. For my Jeep, I’m not in to rock crawling. Its just a towable behind the RV plus also my daily driver. I get the basic idea for the Selec-trac: auto power transfer to the wheels that need it, etc. But, here’s what I’m still trying to get answered:

1: Do you wait until you feel you're not getting the traction you need off road before putting the transfer case in to 4H? Or, do you all just automatically move to 4H when you're ready to play in the dirt?

2: My transfer case shift does not move to 4H unless the transmission is placed in Park. Is the whole idea of having the Selec-trac eliminate shift on the fly? My F-150 also required it be in park before the transmission could go in to 4x4 mode.

Ive been looking for the basic logic for the Sahara’s method of managing gears but most stuff I find doesnt actually talk to these specific/basic questions. Any light someone can shed on the logic here would help me tremendously.
Sponsored

Tellurian

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘20 Wrangler JLUR Ocean Blue (MT); ‘20 Grand Cherokee White; ‘12 Volvo C30 (MT)
Occupation
Analyst
I am slowly graduating from noob to bonehead because I now have some experience and an internet connection so take this for what it is.

1. Depends. I seem to be in that frame of mind where I’ll push 2H until I can’t anymore. On areas where experience has taught me I need 4H, I typically switch before those obstacles. Haven’t needed to do 4L on anything yet other than just getting familiar with the feel of it.

2. That seems odd to me. You should be able to go from 2H to 4H Auto and then to 4H PT either while in motion or stopped but not required to be in park. I had to double check the manual on that to be sure since I don’t have the 4H Auto feature. I have found that it engages smoother when I’m moving even at 5mph vs at a standstill.

Jeep Wrangler JL Sahara Selec-trac, transfer case use: total noob question B4B94002-0380-4BCA-8940-6BA95CC7DA96

raiderbrit

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
I use 4 auto if I think I might run into traction issues - rain, gravel, dirt etc. It only kicks in when the wheels spin. You can move from 2 to 4 auto on the fly, haven't tried going to 4H on the fly and don't think I would need to.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
As soon as you hit the trail, you are better off disengaging 4A and engaging either 2WD or 4H. Selec-Trac’s 4A operates through a clutch pack; the constant engaging and disengaging of the transfer case on dirt roads will make the clutches smell and possibly overheat. Don’t ask how I know...

I am able to switch between 2WD and 4A, and back, on the fly. I believe I am able to engage 4H on the fly as well...but now I can’t remember that one. To engage 4L the Jeep does prefer to be in N.

Last edited:
OP
OP
WiseguyDS

WiseguyDS

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Well, I "thought" I had Selec-Trac, but your answers here made me go back and look again. I do not. I wish I had more operational questions to ask when I was at the dealer but I absolutely do not regret buying this Sahara. I just finished a 5000 mi road trip and the Jeep was comfortable every step of the way.

Anyway, that Crow tasted like crow.. and my Sahara actually has the upgraded 850RE 8 speed trans - "not" the Selec-Trac. I'm looking at the window sticker and it also has the anti-spin rear differential.

So, this said, I was in So-Cal at the Great Sand Dunes when I tried out the shift-on-the-fly. I was doing maybe 10mph but that transfer case shifter was solidly locked in to 2H. I just was chatting with Jeep Customer Care and they sent me what I had read already in the owners manual that I should be able to shift while moving. Even stopped with the gear shift in Neutral, the transfer case shift wouldn't move until I put the transmission in Park.

Just getting all the confusing stuff straight in my head. Are your opinions still that I should be able to get this Jeep in to 4H while moving?
Jeep Wrangler JL Sahara Selec-trac, transfer case use: total noob question 20200721_130939

Sponsored

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2017 Honda Accord, 2014 Yamaha XVS 1300
Occupation
Retired Marine, Construction Estimator
Vehicle Showcase
Well, I "thought" I had Selec-Trac, but your answers here made me go back and look again. I do not. I wish I had more operational questions to ask when I was at the dealer but I absolutely do not regret buying this Sahara. I just finished a 5000 mi road trip and the Jeep was comfortable every step of the way.

Anyway, that Crow tasted like crow.. and my Sahara actually has the upgraded 850RE 8 speed trans - "not" the Selec-Trac. I'm looking at the window sticker and it also has the anti-spin rear differential.

So, this said, I was in So-Cal at the Great Sand Dunes when I tried out the shift-on-the-fly. I was doing maybe 10mph but that transfer case shifter was solidly locked in to 2H. I just was chatting with Jeep Customer Care and they sent me what I had read already in the owners manual that I should be able to shift while moving. Even stopped with the gear shift in Neutral, the transfer case shift wouldn't move until I put the transmission in Park.

Just getting all the confusing stuff straight in my head. Are your opinions still that I should be able to get this Jeep in to 4H while moving?
Jeep Wrangler JL Sahara Selec-trac, transfer case use: total noob question 20200721_130939
The more you use that shifter the easier it gets, but you've gotta put some grunt into it. Its just stiff when its new. Mine goes from 2HI to 4HI on the fly easily now and 4LO is no problem either.

OP
OP
WiseguyDS

WiseguyDS

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The more you use that shifter the easier it gets, but you've gotta put some grunt into it. Its just stiff when its new. Mine goes from 2HI to 4HI on the fly easily now and 4LO is no problem either.
Thanks Sean. I'm on a few acres out this way and will give it a try.

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2017 Honda Accord, 2014 Yamaha XVS 1300
Occupation
Retired Marine, Construction Estimator
Vehicle Showcase

zxd9

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Sport S, Bright White, Freedom Pkg
I thought I was going to break the shifter going from 2WD to 4HI. I was pulling hard enough my wife made me stop. It's her Jeep and if someone's going to break it, it will be her. She just kept trying with more and more force while moving slowly and eventually it gave in. It's still tight but much better after switching back and forth a dozen or so times.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
The 8-speed automatic and Selec-Trac are 2 different things: one is the transmission, the other is the 4WD transfer case.

The easiest way to check if you have Selec-Trac is if your 4WD shifter and indicator —inside the tachometer— has two 4H positions: one 4H Auto, the other 4H Part-Time. If it only shows one 4H position, then you have the Command-Trac part-time 4WD system.

Do your 4WD shifter and indicator look like this?
Jeep Wrangler JL Sahara Selec-trac, transfer case use: total noob question 1596566473990

Jeep Wrangler JL Sahara Selec-trac, transfer case use: total noob question 1596566380198

Sponsored

jessedacri

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bright White 2dr JL Rubicon 3.6

Jeep Wrangler JL Sahara Selec-trac, transfer case use: total noob question 1596566380198

Yeah to second everyone else here, the 2H-->4H shift, and especially the 4H to 4L shift is so stiff when new that it'll take a bunch of shifts and a few miles to get it operating smooth. Should be fairly easy after a little while. If you plan on off roading a lot, not having Selec-Trac is probably a better play long term. If you're really pushing the system you can overheat the clutches and cause slip / a forced disabling of 4x4 while it cools. The straight up 2H/4H/4L box is a better bet for truly locked 4x4.

Nice Jeep, enjoy it! IMO, best first upgrade for a Sahara is a set of Rubicon KO2 33" takeoffs.
Sponsored