flyer92

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 2-Door JL Sport, former '80 CJ-5 and '99 TJ
Vehicle Showcase
Pretty sure this is an easy swap, but will likely install stock Sahara 18" rims with 755 tires on my Sport, which is currently running stock 17" rims with 745 tires. Other than updating the software to correct the speedometer, are there any other issues I should be aware of? Increased stress on the drivetrain, voiding FCA warranty, etc?
Sponsored

jludave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Sport Altitude
Occupation
IT Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

Other than updating the software to correct the speedometer, are there any other issues I should be aware of?
No.

Increased stress on the drivetrain, voiding FCA warranty, etc?
No.

The Sport Altitude comes with 18" Sahara wheels painted black. Here's mine with 33s (LT275/70-18).
Jeep Wrangler JL Sahara Rims on Sport IMG_0308

OP
OP
flyer92

flyer92

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks for the clarification, Dave...always appreciate the great advice. Since FCA prohibits dealerships from updating software to accommodate non-standard rim/tire configurations, just curious if/how you did this with your (awesome) Sport Altitude.

jludave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
IT Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

Since FCA prohibits dealerships from updating software to accommodate non-standard rim/tire configurations, just curious if/how you did this with your (awesome) Sport Altitude.
I use the Tazer JL Mini. I used to use JSCAN, but have since moved to the Tazer. I still have JSCAN as a backup.

You may not have an issue getting the dealer to flash your vehicle, since the 18" Sahara wheel does come stock on the Sahara and other models like mine. If you go with a non-standard tire size, then most likely you'll have to do it yourself.

OP
OP
flyer92

flyer92

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I use the Tazer JL Mini. I used to use JSCAN, but have since moved to the Tazer. I still have JSCAN as a backup.

You may not have an issue getting the dealer to flash your vehicle, since the 18" Sahara wheel does come stock on the Sahara and other models like mine. If you go with a non-standard tire size, then most likely you'll have to do it yourself.
OK, thanks....seems like most folks prefer Tazer. Unfortunately, I checked with three different dealerships, and they all said that it would be against FCA policy for them to flash my Sport, because the Sahara rim/tire combo is considered non-standard for my model. :(

Sponsored

From0toJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Firecracker Sahara (ordered 4/16/18, received 5/12/18), 2015 QX60, 2012 5.0, 2013 Prius V (hers)
No mods needed. Bolt on. Btw, I just replaced my stock Sahara wheels with some Fuels, so may be looking to sell them. Only have 5k miles on them. Let me know if interested.

OP
OP
flyer92

flyer92

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
No mods needed. Bolt on. Btw, I just replaced my stock Sahara wheels with some Fuels, so may be looking to sell them. Only have 5k miles on them. Let me know if interested.
Excited to see what those Fuels will look like on your Sahara and thanks for the offer. Not sure it'll be worth the shipping cost for your Sahara take-offs since I'm in SoCal, but please let me know what you want for them, and we can go from there. Many thanks.

SouthCo

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Billet Silver Sahara
What's the difference in tire diameter between the two? Tire diameter is what matters not the wheel size. I'd think tire diameter of each set of wheels (Sport vs Sahara) should be close enough to not need any programming...

Namakan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL Willys
SouthCo is correct. Compare the two tire sizes diameter online using tire rack or other tire comparison. If the difference between the two is less than an inch in diameter you should be fine.

Sponsored

OP
OP
flyer92

flyer92

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
SouthCo is correct. Compare the two tire sizes diameter online using tire rack or other tire comparison. If the difference between the two is less than an inch in diameter you should be fine.
Yes, totally makes sense. I frequently use the app that Four Low also recommended, but it doesn't list the difference in tire diameter, only sidewall height (.28" difference) and tire height (1.56" difference). Assuming that tire height corresponds to diameter, then perhaps the Sahara rim/tire combo might not work after all, based on your recommendation to keep it under one inch.

Namakan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL Willys
Yes, totally makes sense. I frequently use the app that Four Low also recommended, but it doesn't list the difference in tire diameter, only sidewall height (.28" difference) and tire height (1.56" difference). Assuming that tire height corresponds to diameter, then perhaps the Sahara rim/tire combo might not work after all, based on your recommendation to keep it under one inch.
what are the two tire sizes?

jludave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
IT Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

then perhaps the Sahara rim/tire combo might not work after all,
Why not? There’s no reason to limit going up in tire size to just an inch. That recommendation was made if you don’t want to have to use some type of programmer to adjust for a larger tire size. People move up to 33, 35, 37 and sometimes higher all the time.

Your Sport has 245/75R17 tires, which are 31.5” tall.

The Sahara has 255/70R18 tires, which are 32.1” tall.

The difference is negligible, but your speedo will be off by about 1.5 mph at higher speeds.

Namakan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL Willys
Why not? There’s no reason to limit going up in tire size to just an inch. That recommendation was made if you don’t want to have to use some type of programmer to adjust for a larger tire size. People move up to 33, 35, 37 and sometimes higher all the time.

Your Sport has 245/75R17 tires, which are 31.5” tall.

The Sahara has 255/70R18 tires, which are 32.1” tall.

The difference is negligible, but your speedo will be off by about 1.5 mph at higher speeds.
If the difference is only 1/2” taller than the OEM tire your actual speed when indicating 60 MPH should be 61.1 MPH.

At 30 MPH indicated the actual speed should be 30.55 MPH.

Now slap those things on and let’s see a picture.

OP
OP
flyer92

flyer92

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
If the difference is only 1/2” taller than the OEM tire your actual speed when indicating 60 MPH should be 61.1 MPH.

At 30 MPH indicated the actual speed should be 30.55 MPH.

Now slap those things on and let’s see a picture.
Will do! Great advice from everyone, and just confirmed what I was thinking. Modding my old Jeeps was so easy, but always nice to check in with this forum, as I'm a little concerned whether mechanical changes might impact the JL's new-fangled electronic witchcraft and vice versa. Much appreciated.
Sponsored