Sahara or Sport S

SouthLeb

First Name
Rame
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 JLUS punk'n
Like everything there are pros/cons. I am considering this also. In Chicago the cold weather package is nice. Extra lighting is always nice. The LEDs are great if you drive in rual areas or off road and don't want to bother with extra forward lighting. Someone who has the LEDs said he was considering removing his light bar because the LEDs are so bright and effective. No doubt there are benefits with the safety package. I live in the City and back out of garages here there is lot of cross traffic. Prevent one accident and it pays for itself. I have never owned a vehicle with Active Cruise Control. People either love it of hate it? Are you, at all, considering replacing or upgrading bumpers in the future? Or are you going to be anyplace off road that might damage the bumpers? The safety package bumpers and sensors are expensive to replace. Parts are expensive and body shops have to calibrate everything after replacement. The windshields are pretty fragile and are know to crack easily. Dealers or FCA will want to recalibrate the front camera every time a windshield cracks and is replaced. There is a video showing a JL being stuck because the safety sensors were confused when the JL was parked too close to other cars. Something to consider if you are thinking of the safety package.
I am not considering the Active Cruise control, it is an additional adder to the safety package. I thought the safety package sensors are mounted only in the rear lights, which are LEDs with the package. Later I will replace the front headlights.
Sponsored

AlamedaJeep

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Unlimited Sport S
I might be mistaken but I thought the base Sport / Sport S with the base 5" screen have the old needle gas and temp gauges? I thought the Sport S with the optional 7" screen and Technology Package has the other center gage cluster?
This is right on. Lots of other differences, but the same instrument cluster is available on the Sport S (as an upgrade).

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)
I am not considering the Active Cruise control, it is an additional adder to the safety package. I thought the safety package sensors are mounted only in the rear lights, which are LEDs with the package. Later I will replace the front headlights.
The sensors in the rear lights are for the cross-path and blind spot monitoring. The Active Safety Group has back up sensors in the rear bumper I believe. I thought I saw post about owners swapping the OEM bumpers with aftermarket and relocating the sensors? I don't know how the sensors work after that? A friend owns a body shop and they are required to recalibrate some sensors after replacing the bumpers on certain brand of cars. I will ask if it's required on a JL.

You can order the Active Safety Group on either Sport S or Sahara. It's also available on the Moab and Rubicon but this thread is about the Sport S /Sahara. You can only order the Advanced Active Safety Group with the Sahara, Rubicon, Moab. The Advanced Safety Group has active cruise control and braking. I think? lol.

Last edited:

Jeepsterfreak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda, Future JLU
I might be mistaken but I thought the base Sport / Sport S with the base 5" screen have the old needle gas and temp gauges? I thought the Sport S with the optional 7" screen and Technology Package has the other center gage cluster?
You are correct. If you add the technology group to the Sport S for $995, you get the exact same set up as the base Sahara including the cluster display and auto temp control.

Shots

First Name
Winchell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Rubicon
There you have it. The cluster is available, as an option, on the Sport S and standard on Sahara.

I think what it comes down to is that a lot of the optional items on the Sport S are standard on the Sahara. The Sahara has a few extra features (such as the brakes, fenders, etc), but then offers you the option for additional features not available on the Sport S.

For me the choice was easy. I got a lot of the optional items that aren't available on the Sport S, so the Sahara was the only way to go for me. It really depends on each person's preferences though. I don't think any one model is better than the other, it's just that one model is a better fit for one person or another.

Sponsored

Tex117

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Jeep Unlimited Sport S (Sold); 2019 JLUR
I know for me, I would either get a as close to bone stock sport s as possible OR get the sahara. Putting the options on the sports S having it be about the same price as the sahara just seems a little funny to me when you can get the more upgraded vehicle (suspension, brakes, and other more comfy goodies).

TJMJLWRANGLER

First Name
Ethan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ethanfickling.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport S Wrangler
Occupation
Automotive Design Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
I bought the Sport S with the 7" screen and the power options because i was going to change the flares anyway. The only thing i didnt get was the leather seats. Now with all the savings, I have done new flares bumpers, sliders, etc. so that was the best direction for me as I was throwing away all the extras from the sahara except the leather seats.

a2.jpg

Bubba33

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 jeep wrangler Sahara JL
I bought the Sport S with the 7" screen and the power options because i was going to change the flares anyway. The only thing i didnt get was the leather seats. Now with all the savings, I have done new flares bumpers, sliders, etc. so that was the best direction for me as I was throwing away all the extras from the sahara except the leather seats.

a2.jpg

So how much was your sport s with the options, not tax or anything else, just the price of the jeep.

djnemo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW X3
After I would have added side steps (for my kids) to the Sport S, the price difference was $2100 between the Sahara and Sport S. I prefer the 18 inch wheels and like the Sahara base rims more than the Sport S base rims. Upgraded suspension and brakes, better looking front bumper, and the interior has more padding and soft touch plastic whereas the Sport S is more hard touch plastic. Worth the extra $ to me. Only thing I like better on the Sport S is the lack of chrome accents and the optional wheels are my favorite of all trims (although pricey at $995 for the 2019s).

Jeepsterfreak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda, Future JLU
After I would have added side steps (for my kids) to the Sport S, the price difference was $2100 between the Sahara and Sport S. I prefer the 18 inch wheels and like the Sahara base rims more than the Sport S base rims. Upgraded suspension and brakes, better looking front bumper, and the interior has more padding and soft touch plastic whereas the Sport S is more hard touch plastic. Worth the extra $ to me. Only thing I like better on the Sport S is the lack of chrome accents and the optional wheels are my favorite of all trims (although pricey at $995 for the 2019s).
But you are missing out on the aerodynamic bumper fillets from the Sport!:)

Sponsored

BWWJL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLU Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
This is a fairly old thread so we may be talking to ourselves vs OP, but I’m happy to give my thoughts :)

I have a sport s and should have grabbed a Sahara for the little stuff that I’m adding (Rubi suspension, ROAM steps, Rubi bumper).

Also, Sport s doesn’t get below which I believe sahara does:
- 2x USB + cig lighter in back seat for kids.
- Acacia power in rear cargo

530->408jeepney

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Sahara
I have the Sahara and love it. It’s got creature comfort for ride enjoyment and still a badass rig. Received lots of compliments and people are shocked how nice it is inside. Love the manual transmission too-adds to the badassery of the rig. Though I can’t stand the bumper and side step. Waiting for bonus to pay for my new found addiction.

Strommen95

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 GMC Canyon
A couple of thoughts of mine..

For one, I have decided to go with a Sport S over a Sahara for the JL. In 2014, I got a Sport S JKU which is still my daily driver and only vehicle. I got it because I couldn't afford any better at the time. 5 years later I can afford a new Sahara but I'm sticking with the Sport S. The only options I'm getting are the Anti Spin Axle and Alpine. While I like painted fenders matched with a black hard top, I don't think the other Sahara features warrant a $2500-3000 difference over the Sport S. I've test driven both and driven my friends and don't see a difference in the suspension or brakes with the Sahara. The Sahara stock rims are nicer, but I think a good chunk of Wrangler owners change out their rims anyways. I will be. Regardless, I don't see anything but the 7 inch radio warranting a price increase. The fenders should be no more then $500. What's the other 1500-2000 going to? I would understand if the Alpine, anti spin axle, and full time 4WD came stock with the Sahara, but they don't. The features stock on the Sahara are not worth the $2500-3000 they are.

Secondly, I'm surprised how many Jeepers want an automatic 4WD. One of the things I love about my JKU and am happy they kept in the JL is a manual 4WD shifter. I don't recall seeing any modern vehicle nowadays that isn't auto other then the JK/JL. To each their own, but I don't get why anybody would want to spend $500 so they don't have to shift their 4WD which takes a second. If you are in snowy conditions, you're gonna be in 4WD, or offroading you'll be in 4WD. Why not save $500 and do it yourself as need be?

Bubba33

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 jeep wrangler Sahara JL
But how much did you give for the sport, not taxes or anything else. The reason I ask is I've seen people pay less than 1000 ,then what I did. Sahara leather 8.4, lsd ,cold weather group. It comes with the tech package.
Sponsored