Sponsored

Sahara on 33s - Teraflex 1.5" spacer lift (+ 0.5")

Will_Jeep

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black 2108 JKU Sahara, Black 2016 Mercedes CLS400
Vehicle Showcase
This week I installed a Teraflex 1.5" (+0.5") spacer kit on my Sahara, which is running 33s.
I got the kist on CL, and the previous owner had the 1.5", rear 0.5" spacers and 2" shock extensions, so I went to work.

Before:
Before.jpeg

I took measurements on the front and rear fenders (and running board), and I had 37" on both, no rake.
BeforeSpacer.jpg

As this was the case, and the kit comes with:
  • Front - 2" spacer
  • Rear - 1.5" spacer
  • I added the extra 0.5" spacer in the rear
Afterwards, this is how it looks:
After.jpeg

Measurements (37 + 2 = 39")
AfterSpacer.jpg

It took about 4 hours, I followed the directions from @blnewt on this thread (https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/rubicon-suspension-on-2-door-sport.40700/), much less messing around than the instructions that I got from the Teraflex site (you can find torque values in the linked thread).

What's left to do?
  • I need to get an alignment done, as the steering is playful, and also the steering wheel is not centered.
Hopefully, once that is done, it drives a little nicer!
Sponsored

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
@Will_Jeep
Nice job!
I'd consider the Mopar LCAs if you find the steering is too easy to get off center and wanting to wander at hwy speeds. Glad you found my install thread helpful :)

OP
OP
Will_Jeep

Will_Jeep

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase

MarkY3130

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
If you are able to install the spacer lift you are more than capable of also adjusting the drag link to center up the steering wheel. It’s super simple. Until you get different control arms or replace other components, there is nothing else an alignment can do for you at this point.

OP
OP
Will_Jeep

Will_Jeep

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks @MarkY3130, I did do that with my JK when I did a JKUR suspension swap, a quick google found this thread (https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...drag-link-to-straighten-steering-wheel.11473/), so as you say, I should be more than capable!
I just have to find the motivation to get under, well a little bit, my Jeep. I hurt all over for two days after adding that spacer kit, not as young as I once was :(
Running for 3 hours is not too much of an issue, I use those muscles all the time, but 4 hours of wrenching, holy sh!t I was sore!

Sponsored

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!

SouthCo

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Billet Silver Sahara
This week I installed a Teraflex 1.5" (+0.5") spacer kit on my Sahara, which is running 33s.
I got the kist on CL, and the previous owner had the 1.5", rear 0.5" spacers and 2" shock extensions, so I went to work.

Before:
Before.jpeg

I took measurements on the front and rear fenders (and running board), and I had 37" on both, no rake.
BeforeSpacer.jpg

As this was the case, and the kit comes with:
  • Front - 2" spacer
  • Rear - 1.5" spacer
  • I added the extra 0.5" spacer in the rear
Afterwards, this is how it looks:
After.jpeg

Measurements (37 + 2 = 39")
AfterSpacer.jpg

It took about 4 hours, I followed the directions from @blnewt on this thread (https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/rubicon-suspension-on-2-door-sport.40700/), much less messing around than the instructions that I got from the Teraflex site (you can find torque values in the linked thread).

What's left to do?
  • I need to get an alignment done, as the steering is playful, and also the steering wheel is not centered.
Hopefully, once that is done, it drives a little nicer!

Looks great! Are you measuring from the ground up to the fenders? Just curious as I'm thinking of adding 33"s to mine once the stock tires wear out. I think I'm only about 1.5"s higher than stock with the springs I'm running...

OP
OP
Will_Jeep

Will_Jeep

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
@SouthCo yes, I was indeed measuring from the ground, I had 33s before I did the lift, and the 2” spacers gave me the expected 2 inches!

OP
OP
Will_Jeep

Will_Jeep

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Mopar LCAs received and installed, some benefit of WFH for the next few weeks!
Took it out for a quick drive, and definitely noticed the difference.

Install took about 1.5 hours, no ramps, no power tools, just a pipe on the handle of a 1/2” ratchet. 190 ft/lbs is tight! My torque wrench only goes up to 150, so I did that and then a little more :whew:

OP
OP
Will_Jeep

Will_Jeep

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I finally got around to going out and getting an alignment done today, they even centered the steering wheel for me.
Everything feels much better, done with this project! :like:

Sponsored

JLAFAKASI

First Name
Lito
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JlU Sport S 2019
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks @MarkY3130, I did do that with my JK when I did a JKUR suspension swap, a quick google found this thread (https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...drag-link-to-straighten-steering-wheel.11473/), so as you say, I should be more than capable!
I just have to find the motivation to get under, well a little bit, my Jeep. I hurt all over for two days after adding that spacer kit, not as young as I once was :(
Running for 3 hours is not too much of an issue, I use those muscles all the time, but 4 hours of wrenching, holy sh!t I was sore!
Are you still enjoying that lift and ride quality? Im thinking of doing a 1.5 spacer or .5 spacer with rubicon take off springs and shocks on my sport

OP
OP
Will_Jeep

Will_Jeep

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I ended up taking the spacers off, and going with Rubi take offs, no spacers. The steering was too jittery for my wife, even after longer Mopar LCAs, and an alignment.
Sponsored