Sponsored

Sahara JLU with a Rubicon vented hood

docjeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon, Firecracker Red
I will order a Sahara, but really love the Rubicon's vented bulged hood. Is there a way to swap the hood?
Sponsored

Jeepsterfreak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda, Future JLU
Oh no, I hope vented hoods don't become a popular stolen item.

I just watched a news story about a Toyota Camry that had both passenger side doors stolen. Just the doors!

camry.jpg

Karl_in_Chicago

First Name
Karl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Acura RL, Chevrolet Corvette, Harley-Davidson FLHTC Electra-Glide Classic
Wrangler wanna-be!

Rambeaux

First Name
John J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Willys JKU
Occupation
Aircraft Doctor
There's only one way... pull out your wallet and set it afire.

Sponsored

maguro

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Punk'n JLUR
Maybe you'll be lucky and come across someone with a Rubicon who wants a more basic look and is willing to swap hoods.

There's a dedicated thread on a Tacoma forum for people looking to swap their normal hoods for a hood with scoop, which comes with the Sport model. And those scoops aren't even functional!

Schmeegz

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR (Ocean Blue Metallic)
Ok I am in the exact same boat as you... but

I will eventually want bigger tires, 35ā€™s at least.

So in order to put 35ā€™s on a Sahara and get a Rubi hood, itā€™s actually more expensive than just getting a Rubicon.

Hood $500 (minimum)
Lift ($1600)
Spacers ($?)
Hi-line fenders ($?)

All this for what comes on a Rubicon standard

When the Rubicon is only $3k more. Plus you get better suspension, axels, not to mention better resale.

Rambeaux

First Name
John J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Willys JKU
Occupation
Aircraft Doctor
Yep. Made my mind up to go for a JLUR. Gonna order a 2019 though. Gives me a year to save my overtime. 2018 gonna be a long year. :time::(

The Great Grape Ape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU AspenX 5spd , 2015 JK Sport 6spd
They already were, with a lots of thefts in the past few years, especially in SoCal.

Batteries have also been an issue.

All of which is why the addition of a hood trigger for the alarm system was a welcome improvement in the JL.

(edited for many tIp0ez :blush:)

PS, you can also often get the vented hoods as a feature of some of the Special Editions, so it might be worthwhile looking at those when they are announced if youā€™re buying later and not immediately.

Last edited:

Bearded_Dragon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mojito! Rubicon
You'll be able to buy a hood eventually. Figure about $1k just for the hood (OEM), a few more hundred to get it painted, installed, and hope it matches the body.

Sponsored

NFRs2000NYC

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon

I just watched a news story about a Toyota Camry that had both passenger side doors stolen. Just the doors!

camry.jpg
Buddy of mine had his 10A hood stolen, so I 100% thin it will be a hot ticket item. I would definitely recommend people get antitheft hood hinge bolts.

PhoenixM3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 GR86, 2023 Wrangler JLURD
Damn, it must be real easy to steal doors off a Wrangler. Smash the windows, unlock door, remove hinge bolts, lift off doors, done.
Just wait. The aftermarket will likely have the equivelant of a locking lug nut for the door's torx bolt. A dedicated thief will still get your doors...

The Great Grape Ape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU AspenX 5spd , 2015 JK Sport 6spd
You can get custom head security bolts in similar threads/knurls, but they arenā€™t cheap (~$100 / 6-12 [depending on size/type]) so the desirability is likely relative to the lieklyhood of theft; however if I lived in SoCal or Philly, with the recent rash of Hood & Battery thefts respectively, then that $100 would be worth the small additional sense of security... but... knowing full well a determined thief specifically targetting your vehicle/parts is difficult to deter vs those just looking for an crime of opportunity / easy score.

I use a Club on my Wranglers because it will deter the casual thief and advertise I might be more security conscious on the inside than the other vehicles parked in the lot, but I also know a dedicated thief will simply pop the Wrangler on a flat-bed if they are targeting it as a ā€˜professionalā€™.
Sponsored