Sahara grille inserts (painting different color)

turnkey

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sahara Unlimited
This is exactly what I wanted to see. A Sahara with LEDs and a normal hood with the inserts done. Very nice. Do you have more pics from different angles? Perhaps some with the side emblems? I assume you dipped those black? And the inserts you bought are the ones from Justforjeeps, and you left them unpainted?
Side emblems are wrapped in matte black. Trail rated emblem is the same as the rubicon, dark grey and red inside, the grille accents are mopar and I bought them from just for jeeps and left them the way they came. It's actually a layer of black primer it's not just black plastic. I'll take some pics later. Still debating on keeping the bumper silver.

From0toJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Firecracker Sahara (ordered 4/16/18, received 5/12/18), 2015 QX60, 2012 5.0, 2013 Prius V (hers)
The side emblems

2F7A671C-A646-4732-B68B-8554E80F1570.jpeg

E349D3EF-39AC-4285-85A9-0DCBD7A12BCE.jpeg
Thanks so much. Your Sahara looks really sharp with those black inserts. So you just dipped them, eh? Did you dip just the front of the inserts or did you do the whole thing, including the back side of it too? I was also wondering how durable the Dip would be. Notice any peeling from rock chips or bugs? Easy to clean?

Side emblems are wrapped in matte black. Trail rated emblem is the same as the rubicon, dark grey and red inside, the grille accents are mopar and I bought them from just for jeeps and left them the way they came. It's actually a layer of black primer it's not just black plastic. I'll take some pics later. Still debating on keeping the bumper silver.
Fantastic. Thank you for the help/images. I was debating whether to dip my silver ones black, or just buy a set from JustJeeps. Hmmmm, First world problems
lol

turnkey

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sahara Unlimited
Thanks so much. Your Sahara looks really sharp with those black inserts. So you just dipped them, eh? Did you dip just the front of the inserts or did you do the whole thing, including the back side of it too? I was also wondering how durable the Dip would be. Notice any peeling from rock chips or bugs? Easy to clean?

Fantastic. Thank you for the help/images. I was debating whether to dip my silver ones black, or just buy a set from JustJeeps. Hmmmm, First world problems
lol
I'm not a fan of dip. And the price to wrap them or get it painted was more than just spending the 130 with free shipping and it looks great and smooth in person

Gaxmode

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sahara

lol
Thanks.

Yeah I removed the inserts and dipped the front and rear. Emblems are just dipped from the front. So far no scratches or nicks and have been off-road a few times since. Have washed it a few times with a foam cannon pressure washer as well... no damage yet.

maus92

First Name
Charley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLUS Firecracker Red
I just received the inserts from JFJ. Going to try to install them tomorrow or Friday. I'm a bit leery of keeping them primer black - durability of the primer, so I'm likely to rattle can them black.

turnkey

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sahara Unlimited
I just received the inserts from JFJ. Going to try to install them tomorrow or Friday. I'm a bit leery of keeping them primer black - durability of the primer, so I'm likely to rattle can them black.
I have had mine on for a couple weeks and no chipping anywhere.

dbtran

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Sahara
this is exactly what I want to do, did you paint the grill and inserts yourself?
Did you have to buy any additional parts?
No additional parts. Just pull the grille off, unclip the inner pieces, and paint. I used regular rattle can paint its help up pretty good. The grille itself comes apart in 3 parts so you can paint it anyway you want once you get it pulled apart.

maus92

First Name
Charley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I have had mine on for a couple weeks and no chipping anywhere.
I looked them over - I think the black color is not from primer - it's the inherent color of the pplastic, so I didn't paint them.

turnkey

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sahara Unlimited
I looked them over - I think the black color is not from primer - it's the inherent color of the pplastic, so I didn't paint them.
Its def primer. Mine had a spot that was chipped on an area that isnt seen from the outside and there was a grayish black u underneath. Its a thin coat.

maus92

First Name
Charley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Its def primer. Mine had a spot that was chipped on an area that isnt seen from the outside and there was a grayish black u underneath. Its a thin coat.
Hmm, OK. Plastic does "show" a different shade / color when damaged though. I guess we'll see how it holds up.

turnkey

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sahara Unlimited
Hmm, OK. Plastic does "show" a different shade / color when damaged though. I guess we'll see how it holds up.
Whisk I would have taken a picture before the install. It was like a 2cm square and def coukd see the layer of primer. However we should be fine. I'd be more worried about the bumper then the grill with chipping since its lower to the ground