Sponsored

Sahara + Flex = ? Does it have manual sway bar disconnect?

jmcdtucson

First Name
Jerel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah, it's pitched up quite a bit higher than parallel. It seems to handle just about the same on the road so I'm not sure if it's an issue or not. I did a quick test drive and swerved a bit to see what would happen, feels the same to me. I sent a quick email (Saturday) to Teraflex asking their thoughts, from a safety perspective, but they haven't replied yet. I figure I should see something this week from them. I will update when I have more details.

Here is the photo of the Teraflex sway bar disconnect and sway bar position with a stock suspension. It has plenty of clearance to articulate. From what I understand the sway bar links the two sides together to reduce body roll.
Thanks man! Let us know what you hear back.
Sponsored

Tdkrum5

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 White JLU Altitude
Vehicle Showcase
Disconnecting the swayer on my 18 Sahara is easy. 18mm socket and wrench. Zip tie sway bar out of the way. Flex sucks with the sway bar connected. With my swayer disconnected, I popped my front driver fender loose. It popped back in. No lift yet. Rock Krawler 2.5" lift waiting to be installed.
Do you think the fender would have popped off if you had upgraded your fenders to the Rubicon ones?

zmanz28

First Name
Zman
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
Do you think the fender would have popped off if you had upgraded your fenders to the Rubicon ones?
I can't be certain. I would think they would have been fine. A JL Rubicon went through the same stuff and it did not pop off.

Sponsored

SimianHacker

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sahara Unlimited
Have you noticed any differences at highway speed (75-80 mph) With that sway bar angle?
Nope, I took it for a test drive and was going 75 and changing lanes kind of dramatically and it felt about the same as before. I also did some intentional swerving to simulate going around something in the road and everything felt fine. My wife drives it more then I and she hasn’t mentioned anything different.

I think Teraflex is correct, it’s a non-issue.

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 2.0T, 1991 YJ rock crawler
Occupation
I make microchips for a living.
Vehicle Showcase
Have you noticed any differences at highway speed (75-80 mph) With that sway bar angle?
I'm pitched almost as high on both Jeeps and have noticed no side effects at any speed.

Renhilio

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon
This is awesome. I’m in a Sahara (and about to swap in a rubicon take our suspension) and have been interested in quick disconnects. I haven’t been interested though in a huge lift which most of the quick disconnects are built for. I’m going to place an order on the Teraflex set now!

SimianHacker

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sahara Unlimited
This is awesome. I’m in a Sahara (and about to swap in a rubicon take our suspension) and have been interested in quick disconnects. I haven’t been interested though in a huge lift which most of the quick disconnects are built for. I’m going to place an order on the Teraflex set now!
What sold me on the Teraflex disconnects was the fact that I didn't have to cut off one of the tabs for the stock sway bar connects. JKS (and many others) require you to cut the tab and I just didn't feel comfortable with doing that. Maybe I will never go back to the stock connects but because I'm new to this I wanted to keep that option in case things didn't work out.

Based on everything I could find on the internet, the concern about the sway bar being level or up 5Âş seems to be around the sway bar inverting when the suspension drops, which is an issue on lifted suspensions with stock connects OR connects that are too short. I can't find any cautionary tales about having connects that are TOO long; I spent a lot of time searching.

I think with the higher angles the main issue is clearance and the range of motion of the sway bar with relationship to the suspension. I couldn't find anything about how the angle of the sway bar effects the performance OR influences the suspension, beyond connecting the two sides.

Disclaimer: My knowledge is limited to what I could find on the internet, so take that for what it's worth.
Sponsored