First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara in Punk'n Metallic
Occupation
Retired and spending the kid's inheritance
I have a 2018 JLU Sahara and I would like to look at front locker options.

Though I would have preferred a Rubi, I had to keep the height down as my wife has trouble with the height getting in due to medical reasons. Even the Sahara is a challenger for her. We don’t do much in terms of off-roading but a good amount of soft-roading while exploring areas we visit in our motorhome travels.

I have a winch installed and carry a full set of recovery gear. I would like to consider adding a front axle locker solution to make it more reliable when we encounter slick or rough terrain but I am not finding a lot of information on locker options for an automatic Sahara.
* 8-Spd Auto 850RE Transmission)
* 2.72:1 Selec-Trac Full Time 4WD Sys
* Dana M186 Front Axle

This is an upgrade I will have installed by an experience 4x4 shop, not a DYI install.

Information on available options and pros and cons is greatly appreciated.
Sponsored

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
For some reason I haven’t seen many vendors develop aftermarket parts for these new axles. I’ve been waiting for Eaton to develop a Detroit TrueTrac for JL; I’m still waiting...

One key feature on your Sahara with Select-Trac that you omitted on your list above, is that it has a rear D44 with LSD. That alone is going to give a lot more traction on slick surfaces vs a regular open differential.

If you aren’t able to find a front locker, my suggestion is make sure you get some good tires. You will be amazed the stuff you can get through with a rear LSD and a good set of tires.

Good luck.

MtCamper

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jlUR White Rubi, 2018 GMC 3500 Duramax,
Occupation
Retired Snowbird
Before you spend a lot of money on a front locker, I'd recommend a good compressor. I'd never aired down before until we go to Arizona. I was amazed to find out how much difference that made in loose stuff. You won't be rock crawling with low clearance. I really doubt you would ever need a front locker with LSD in the rear.

OP
OP
Ron_H

Ron_H

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
I am aware of the LSD on the rear but did not mention it as I felt it was not directly relevant but I do appreciate the feedback regardless.

I am also aware of the advantages of airing down and I am equipped with an Air Armor M240 12v compressor with a 50% duty cycle.

My prior off-road experience was years ago when I built and raced sand rails in the foothills of western Canada. I know and understand the basics but I am still unfamiliar with the capabilities of a Sahara and I would prefer being prepared, rather than learn the hard way.

Oldbear

First Name
Dwayne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel; 20 JL Sport S 2 door
I too would recommend a decent set of tires before fooling with the front dif. Odds are Very good that your Sahara as equipped will do anything you’ll want if you’ve got decent rubber under it.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Ron_H

Ron_H

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
I too would recommend a decent set of tires before fooling with the front dif. Odds are Very good that your Sahara as equipped will do anything you’ll want if you’ve got decent rubber under it.
And what would you consider to be "decent rubber". I expect I'll be changing out the OEM Bridgestone rubber before the end of summer.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
And what would you consider to be "decent rubber". I expect I'll be changing out the OEM Bridgestone rubber before the end of summer.
I’ve had excellent experience with BFG KO2, General Grabber ATX and GY Duratrac. I hear Falken Wildpeak AT3W is in the same league.

You can go a little bigger than stock, too; that will aid traction even more.

This is my Sahara with Selec-Trac and 275/70R18 KO2s, before she got a lift.
Jeep Wrangler JL Sahara automatic, front locker install options 36E6F3FD-95B3-454D-BE14-61F36FA7D01D

Haven’t gotten stuck yet....

daveprice7

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sport 2DR, 2020 Willys 2DR
Occupation
Nerd
i just helped install one of these lunchbox lockers on someone's jeep. drove it offroad today (and on road). could barely tell it was there, doing its thing. very affordable and not difficult to install.

https://www.torqmasters.com/products/fitment/2018-Jeep-JL Wrangler-any
Passive front lockers can make steering unpredictable on slippery roads, no? So, you're basically committing to keep it in 2hi on the road. That's probably too big of a sacrifice on a Jeep with selec-trac I'd think.

I was considering one of these for my sport, but I just couldn't bring myself to give up 4hi on snowy roads... If I lived in Florida or something, yeah, maybe.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Ron_H

Ron_H

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
i just helped install one of these lunchbox lockers on someone's jeep. drove it offroad today (and on road). could barely tell it was there, doing its thing. very affordable and not difficult to install.

https://www.torqmasters.com/products/fitment/2018-Jeep-JL Wrangler-any
Thanks for the suggestion but I don't think that product is a good fit for my vision/wants. I want something that I can enable or disable, not something that deploys automatically. Something like the old manual lockers that you engaged on the wheel hub or enabled with a switch, like in a Rubi, is more what I have in mind.

OP
OP
Ron_H

Ron_H

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
I have no experience with it, but this may be an option for you if you want something selectable:

https://ox-usa.com/home/716-dana-30.html
This sounds like an interesting product — one I had not previously been aware of. Its operation sounds like a good match to what I am looking for. I'll have to do some research on it and see what the installation cost would look like.

Thanks.

word302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
Thanks for the suggestion but I don't think that product is a good fit for my vision/wants. I want something that I can enable or disable, not something that deploys automatically. Something like the old manual lockers that you engaged on the wheel hub or enabled with a switch, like in a Rubi, is more what I have in mind.
Locking hubs are not the same thing as locking differentials.

Pig-Pen

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Occupation
jabroni
Clubs

Passive front lockers can make steering unpredictable on slippery roads, no? So, you're basically committing to keep it in 2hi on the road. That's probably too big of a sacrifice on a Jeep with selec-trac I'd think.

I was considering one of these for my sport, but I just couldn't bring myself to give up 4hi on snowy roads... If I lived in Florida or something, yeah, maybe.
ive been doing plenty of reading in my research on this subject. the old aussie lockers had issues with steering. the revised "torq locker" does not really have this issue. i watched a video of a guy driving his jeep on snow covered road with one and he said it was no problem.

you can also wait till Eaton releases the Truetrac. they made them front and rear for the JK and ive read nothing but raving reviews about them. ill definitely grab one for my rear D44 when they do.

Pig-Pen

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Occupation
jabroni
Clubs

Locking hubs are not the same thing as locking differentials.
i couldnt image having to jump out of the jeep every time you wanted to turn the lockers on and then hop out a minute later to turn it off and keep repeating through the trail lol.
Sponsored