Sponsored

Sahara 4xe snow performance

sconrad24

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Willys JKU, 2021 4XE
Hey everyone! Leaving out those with Rubicons because they get the extra benefit of KO2s stock. How does your Sahara handle the snow? I was a little worried about snow handling with the 20s and the Alenzas. They lack the three peak symbol and I was thinking I'd switch them out if they sucked in the snow. However, Ive been very surprised that this Jeep has been my best snow vehicle so far. For context I owned a JK with Nitto Terra Grapplers and a JKU with Duratracs and the stock willys LSD. My JK was lifted and fun to play in the snow but wasnt great traveling in storms. It loved to fish tail even in 4wd. The JKU with its duractracs and lsd combo was solid in rain but still would fish tail and spin tires in 2wd on hard turns once the road was covered. Now this Sahara 4xe doesn't fishtail. I had it out the other night in 3 to 4 inches just trying to learn how it behaves in snow. I did a couple laps around the neighborhood and some local roads with big hills, in 2wd, 4auto and 4H. Could barely tell the difference. In the same spots the would cause some slippage in the JKU in 2wd I had no issue in 2wd with the 4xe. Finally I turned off traction control and got it to slide (road was empty btw, great for testing I would never do this near parked cars or others on the road). Honestly I expected this 4xe to be slightly behind my JKU in snow handling. I thought the battery weight and placement would help but the tires would be an issue. What is everyone else seeing?
Sponsored

sentience

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Lexus GX, 2021 JLU Sahara 4xe
Occupation
bureaucrat@gov
Jeep Wrangler JL Sahara 4xe snow performance 093626B5-2AAC-465F-8F6A-98F1997797D1

It’s fine. I’m also still on the stock Duelers. Definitely suitable for the task. Performed a little worse than my JKU on Yokohama AT Geolanders. Those were excellent.

Drove 20-30 during this past weekend’s snow event. We had about 3-4” hit over the course of a few hours. Roads weren’t plowed in time. Did slide slightly when I took a turn a little too aggressively - totally my fault. Engaged 4H out of habit; if I can’t see the asphalt, I’m not driving on asphalt.

Keeping max regen on really helped with stability - felt I could be more precise with my throttle play. Lower center of gravity did make the Jeep feel more planted.

Yuhreka

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler Sahara 4xe
I’m pleasantly surprised to hear that it performs well. I haven’t had a chance to test them out yet, but just by looking at them, those Sahara tires don’t give you a lot of confidence that they’d do well in snow or mud

BXFXJeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4xe Sahara
I swapped out 20s for the Rubicon wheels with the Falken Wildpeak, I have always used Rubi takeoffs, previously on the JK I had the KO2s, I like the 20s, will probably put them back on in the spring when I black out the Sahara and 4xe badges.

Jeep Wrangler JL Sahara 4xe snow performance PXL_20220117_133602132

Jeep Wrangler JL Sahara 4xe snow performance PXL_20220101_173034069

OP
OP
sconrad24

sconrad24

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I’m pleasantly surprised to hear that it performs well. I haven’t had a chance to test them out yet, but just by looking at them, those Sahara tires don’t give you a lot of confidence that they’d do well in snow or mud
Yeah I would not take them in mud. Sure a slightly wet dirt road but no way I'd do a rain drenched rutted dirt road.

Sponsored

OP
OP
sconrad24

sconrad24

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

It’s fine. I’m also still on the stock Duelers. Definitely suitable for the task. Performed a little worse than my JKU on Yokohama AT Geolanders. Those were excellent.

Drove 20-30 during this past weekend’s snow event. We had about 3-4” hit over the course of a few hours. Roads weren’t plowed in time. Did slide slightly when I took a turn a little too aggressively - totally my fault. Engaged 4H out of habit; if I can’t see the asphalt, I’m not driving on asphalt.

Keeping max regen on really helped with stability - felt I could be more precise with my throttle play. Lower center of gravity did make the Jeep feel more planted.
I completely agreed with max regen. It makes stopping and going gradually nice and easy.

OP
OP
sconrad24

sconrad24

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I swapped out 20s for the Rubicon wheels with the Falken Wildpeak, I have always used Rubi takeoffs, previously on the JK I had the KO2s, I like the 20s, will probably put them back on in the spring when I black out the Sahara and 4xe badges.

I was very tempted to take my Willys Wheels and tires from my JKU over to the 4xe. They were like yours only all black. But in the end it didnt make sense to put 4 year old tires on a brand new vehicle. Your xe looks great with them though!

BXFXJeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4xe Sahara
Willys are very nice wheels, but yea 4 year old tires on a new vehicle isn't worth it

Look in the Buy and Sell section here for people selling new take offs, for very good prices, US gets better take off deals than in Canada.

Terminex

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4XE
Occupation
Fixing stupid....

Your tires are interesting. I thought the stock Rubi tires were the KO2's (at least those were the stock tires on my 4XE rubi, and all the others I have seen)

It is good to hear that your Falken Mud TIres are doing well, as most mud tires seem to do poorly in the snow.

I swapped my KO2's for 35" Falken Wildpeak AT3W's (the all terrain version) and they are awesome in the snow.

BXFXJeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4xe Sahara
Your tires are interesting. I thought the stock Rubi tires were the KO2's (at least those were the stock tires on my 4XE rubi, and all the others I have seen)

It is good to hear that your Falken Mud TIres are doing well, as most mud tires seem to do poorly in the snow.

I swapped my KO2's for 35" Falken Wildpeak AT3W's (the all terrain version) and they are awesome in the snow.
They were off a Gladiator Rubicon, maybe the Wranglers had KO2s, and the Gladiator came with the Falken.

These were from a 2020 I think, bought them mainly because I was going to buy a Gladiator Overland to swap out the puny wheels, then decided to get the 4xe after they finally decided to make them.

So I used them for a bit on my 2018 Wrangler, and now this.

Sponsored

Echo4papa

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sahara 4xe
Occupation
Success Engineer
I'm ready for the snow. Got Rubi take offs with the KO's as well. I keep checking the weather but, it doesn't look promising.

bossboy302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sahara 4xe
I've been very impressed so far. Sahara 4xe twice to the Tahoe snow. Changes from 2015 JKU are both ltd slip rear diff and Selec-Trac which has the "Auto" 'all-wheel drive. It performed exceptionally well, even on the stock, rather 'pup' tires.

TeeGeeThree

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sahara 4XE 2021
I put Blizzak snow tires on mine, and then went 4 wheeling up and down some small but steep snow-covered hills near me. Also through some snowcovered woods. Was like the snow wasn't there. Super fun.

Brandonhgt

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler 4xe
I purchased a set of Rubi takeoff K02s that i rotate the stock Duelers with. The Duelers did fine in the snow before i switched them out, including driving through the worst snow storm we have had so far this year. I cannot tell an appreciable difference between the Duelers and the K02s in the snow.

That said, we also have an Armada with Blizzaks and an Audi A5 quattro with Michelin x-ice winter tires. Both handle noticably better in snow and ice than the Wrangler with either the Duelers or K02s.

dougywarren

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 4xe Sahara
I ordered the ASD on my Sahara 4xe that's coming. After reading this I'm not worried about any issues with the stock Duelers. i actually had them on my '08 Yukon Denali and they were good tires. Boring, not as quiet as Michelins, but a solid tire. I'll be excited though when they wear out so I can replace them with something fun
Sponsored