Sponsored

Saftey Group, advanced safety group, and aftermarket bumpers?

Yellow Cake Kid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
Hi,
While we wait to place an order for the Rubicon Unlimited we have been planning for, I am looking at a specific in stock Rubicon that has everything we want plus some options I had never considered ordering.

This vehicle has both the safety group and advanced safety group. I intend to replace the factory bumpers on the Rubicon and have read that you sacrifice many of the safety sensors when you do so.

Is this true?

Have people learned how to place the sensors on after market bumpers?

Will simply disconnecting the sensors freak out the CAN bus and cause warnings to appear 24/7?

Thank you.
Sponsored

Cuyose

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Occupation
Data Analyst
I wasn't planning on getting the advanced safety group, but the proximity cruise control really is pretty slick, so new I havent driven at might yet, but I hear the auto hi beam control is pretty good as well, and I could definitely use it on longer trips. I too was originally going to replace bumpers, but the steel bumpers are actually quite nice and accept and look good with a winch (which is arriving soon).

Unless you are really planning on doing hard-core rock crawling, or are really into a look you are chasing with your Jeep. I think you might really like those options for a daily driver and basic offroading or overlanding. Everyone has their own plans, but I changed mine after getting mine last week. Im going to get winch and run the stock 33's and suspension until or if I end up falling in with people and start doing really difficult stuff.

I dont anticipate really getting into anything I need more than a 2 inch lift and 35's for, but am even holding off on that currently as its already so ridiculously capable for the things I most likely will be doing with a brand new $50K + vehicle.

OP
OP
Yellow Cake Kid

Yellow Cake Kid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
The specific vehicle I am currently considering doesn't have the OEM steel bumpers.

Our new Jeep will be used 90% or more off-road. Not so much for rock crawling but as a Utah and Arizona desert highlands off road transportation vehicle which will require occasional rock crawling to get to the places we like to go too.

It took me a while to find info about it, but it seems as if some aftermarket bumpers have accommodations for mounting the sensors.

Last edited:

Cuyose

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Occupation
Data Analyst
Yeah if you are going to be doing 90% off-road, you most likely wouldn't benefit much from either safety group, but its hard to find any on lots that don't at least have the basic safety group.

Sounds like you wouldn't really be bothered even if you just slapped the new bumpers for off-road, and didnt worry about the sensors as those features aren't going to do much for you 90% of the time anyway.

I would look more into how to have the computer forget those sensors than trying to hack them to work for the 10% of the driving you will do.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Yellow Cake Kid

Yellow Cake Kid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
Thank you for sharing your thoughts.

We are looking forward to having a fresh new vehicle for our back country adventures, but a bit apprehensive about the state of the current technology.

We would appreciate learning more about how the safety features hold up during off road use, and more about what happens if and when the safety systems begin to malfunction.

Thank you.

OP
OP
Yellow Cake Kid

Yellow Cake Kid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
I found this:

It's another one of those videos that takes 15 minutes to explain 30 seconds of information, but the information was helpful.

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon EcoDiesel (11th Jeep)
Occupation
Retired CFO. Mayo Clinic volunteer.
Hi,
While we wait to place an order for the Rubicon Unlimited we have been planning for, I am looking at a specific in stock Rubicon that has everything we want plus some options I had never considered ordering.

This vehicle has both the safety group and advanced safety group. I intend to replace the factory bumpers on the Rubicon and have read that you sacrifice many of the safety sensors when you do so.

Is this true?

Have people learned how to place the sensors on after market bumpers?

Will simply disconnecting the sensors freak out the CAN bus and cause warnings to appear 24/7?

Thank you.
Have you considered ordering?

paffemt

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sahara
The only bumper that has sensors is the rear bumper and you can get replacement steel bumpers for the rear with the holes for the sensors. The front bumper has no sensors in it in the US. The advanced safety package relies on sensors in a box that is at the top center of the windshield. I have the package and love it.

OP
OP
Yellow Cake Kid

Yellow Cake Kid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
Thank you for explaining this. It is very helpful to be able to understand the details.

Thank you!

Sponsored

OP
OP
Yellow Cake Kid

Yellow Cake Kid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
OK, crazy question; If the the front safety sensors are in the windshield how does the system react if and or when you lower the wind shield for open air driving?

Notorious

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 TJ Sahara
OK, crazy question; If the the front safety sensors are in the windshield how does the system react if and or when you lower the wind shield for open air driving?
I’ll answer this because it seems like you’re asking a legitimately good question as opposed to your usual trolling.

The head of the system is attached to the frame near the rear view mirror and there’s a plastic piece behind the rear view mirror that needs to be used if you have the ASG and are wanting to lower the windshield.

You never answered my question as to your tolerance with electronic gremlins?

If you’re on a trail with limited traction, large rocks and boulders in uncomfortably close proximity on your left and right and a small rock jumps in front of your windshield and the system mis-calculates that rock as something much larger and decides to brake for you, you’re probably going to shit your pants.

The miscalculation could or could not happen. But if it does happen when it does not need to, that may be a problem.

For this reason, most of us avoided the ASG (advanced safety group) because of the potential for your vehicle to stop unintended, when and where it does not need to. I personally don’t have this system in my Wrangler but others have said that it can be disabled thru the infotainment system.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Yellow Cake Kid

Yellow Cake Kid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
Chapter 2 Getting to Know Your Vehicle / Folding Windshield

page 110

ACC/FCW Sensor Protective Cover — If
Equipped
Your vehicle may be equipped with a protective
cover that is to be used whenever the
windshield is folded down in order to protect the
ACC/FCW sensor. To install the cover, follow the
instructions below:
1. Secure the top part of the cover so that it
hinges to the header.
2. Swing the cover down and push on it so that
it covers the opening.
3. Check to make sure the cover is secured
properly.

Chapter 9 Multimedia / Uconnect 4C/4C Nav Settings

page 405

Forward Collision Warning - If Equipped > Selectable Options
- Off
- Warning Only
- Warning and Braking

TRZ

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR, Ocean Blue
Regarding backup sensors, be aware that the sensors must be aimed when placing in an aftermarket bumper. The sensor bezels/housings have a slight angle to them which is how to aim the beam. I aimed mine down and outward, I think some people accidentally aimed them toward their spare tire and kept getting false sensor warnings as a result.

OP
OP
Yellow Cake Kid

Yellow Cake Kid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
Thank you for explaining about the bezel and the angle.
Sponsored