Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR XR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Sparky
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

What a pain. I bought one about 6 months ago. Just emailed Warn's Customer Service so we will see. Their website does not appear to have anything yet regarding an alert or recall.
Same. Let us know if you hear back from them.
Sponsored

Jeepeto

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR XR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Sparky
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

I spent a little more time reading all the docs linked from the recall notice:
https://www.nhtsa.gov/recalls?nhtsaId=22E101000

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/rcl/2022/RCMN-22E101-0133.pdf
https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/rcl/2022/RCAK-22E101-1163.pdf
https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/rcl/2022/RCLRPT-22E101-1107.PDF

The third one is particularly interesting:

Chronology :

08/15/2022: Customer returned winch with explanation that while his vehicle was parked, the VR EVO winch power cables had experienced some event that caused the insulation on the wiring to melt.
A review of previous customer complaints and product returns was conducted. Since the EVO product was first sold in 2019 approx. 25 reports were found mentioning unintended operation of the winch. During this period
over 200,000 winches were sold worldwide and over 120,000 in the USA. It was found that several of these winches had been returned to Warn for inspection and no cause was determined for the failure.
08/15/2022: Product and information regarding the product failures was sent to the contract manufacturer for review and analysis.
09/09/2022: Customer returned product exhibiting the same type of failure as the one on August 15, 2022. “Customer states that his EVO 10 started running by itself...”
09/30/2022: Customer returned product exhibiting the same type of failure as the one on August 15 and September 9.
10/14/2022: Contract manufacturer is unable to diagnose root cause of the failures. Warn’s engineering team initiates investigation into potential root causes of failures.
11/22/2022: Investigations indicate that water intrusion and corrosion on the circuit board are potential causes of the type of failures observed.
11/29/2022: Production hold placed on EVO winch line. Stop ship notice placed on all sales of EVO winches from Warn Industries.
12/07/2022: Testing activities validate water intrusion and corrosion as root cause of unintended operation of the winch.
12/16/2022: Field rework process identified to mitigate the potential for unintended operation of the winch without notice by disabling the wireless function of the remote control.
12/16/2022: Warn Industries reviewed the issues and decided to implement a recall and issue a bulletin to consumers notifying them of the hazard including instructions for inspecting for corrosion and disabling the wi
[sic - remainder is cut off in the original PDF]

I have a disable switch wired into my winch, so there's less chance of a faulty controller inadvertently firing up the winch, but I figured I might as well remove the batteries as directed in the second doc.

Man, that things REEKS of ozone or electrical solvents inside. Like, maybe the magic smoke has already been let out? This is something you've never smelled while changing batteries in your TV remote.

There are no seals (contrary to my previous post), just a tight-fitting tongue-in-groove interface. To change batteries, you remove three screws and basically disassemble the remote entirely. There is no battery access hatch, it's not rechargeable, it just has 3 AAAs inside. This could be OK if the batteries last a long time, but like I said earlier that hasn't been my experience.

More interesting bits about the proposed fix:

Warn will notify customers of the hazard including instructions for inspecting for corrosion and disabling the wireless function to significantly mitigate the hazard.

Warn will offer consumers/winch owners a $100 coupon as compensation for the lack of wireless function.

Warn will also offer a new corded-only remote (no wireless function) to replace any remote that shows evidence of corrosion, unexpected operation of the winch, or for remotes that have been submerged or exposed to water.

Warn will rework all existing unsold inventory of winches, including distributor and dealer inventories, with a new corded-only remote which will have a conformal coated circuit board and sealed switch components, but without wireless function. A $100 coupon will be included with these winches as compensation for the lack of wireless function.

The remote remains fully usable in the corded configuration when physically plugged into the winch. Unplugging the remote from the winch when not in use eliminates the hazard.

The new corded-only remote that will be used in reworked existing unsold inventory, will have a new switch face that is visually different from the current remote. It will not have wireless control functions, including wireless indicator light and mode switch. The internal circuit board will be fully conformal coated and use sealed switches.

The new wireless/corded remote currently being designed will have full conformal coating on the interior circuitry and sealed switches. Implementation date TBD.

1673045554397.png

1673045554331.png

1673046247294.png
Oh that sucks! I purchased specifically for the wireless function. I hope this isn't the case

fourfa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTRD
I mean, if yours still works and never gets wet, you can get a new corded-only remote, plus $100, plus keep your functional wireless remote

But yeah, the winch is rated IP68 water resist, but sounds to me like they didn't include the remote in that... Obviously the remote will be out in the gunk same as the winch at least some of the time

EDIT: "$100 coupon." I guess $100 worth of Warn-branded stuff, so like, a shackle or two? Or 80% of the way to a disconnect kit

DGT

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR Diesel, Ford Excursion,Volvo XC70
To confirm, the problem IC board is within the remote control? Or within the winch itself? I understand the problem is with the remote function, but asking if you can clarify if it's water intrusion into the winch housing or the wireless remote housing that is causing the problem. Thanks for your analysis.

fourfa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTRD
Just the remote, nothing to do with the winch itself. That's my read on it

Reactions: DGT

Sponsored

LT1

First Name
Fred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUS
Same. Let us know if you hear back from them.

Here is the response from Warn concerning the defective remote shipped with the EVO-10-S and possibly others.

Thank you for contacting Warn.

Specific instructions / recall registration will be posted to
http://www.warn.com in the next couple of weeks.

Until then we advise you remove the batteries from your remote and only use it in corded mode.

At some point in time, a new corded remote option will be provided along with a $100.00 coupon for any Warn product to compensate for the lost wireless function.

Thank you,

Jessica Kroll | Strategic Account Representative

Warn Industries, Inc.|12900 SE Capps Road|Clackamas, OR 97015
Jeep Wrangler JL Safety recall on Warn Evo 10s? 1673057706999

Old Jeeper

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Port Charlotte, FL, Naples Fl, 17 Oaks Ranch, Tex
Vehicle(s)
2024 JLR-X 2023 JLR, 2021 JTR. 20 F 450 KR,
Occupation
US Army Infantry, IT Engineer
It’s literally just an issue with possible water intrusion and corrosion in the cordless remote. Take the battery out and you’ll be fine. There’s nothing wrong with using the winch with the corded controller (assuming it has one).
In all the years I have been winching which goes back to the 70s, I have personally never winched underwater, but I have had my winch underwater once and did 2 full pulls: Warn 9.5 TI to save a guys butt and his jeep.

Sorry for the grainy pics. The pic show my Jeep and me in front getting ready to pull out my rope and hook on to the guys Jeep. I had to pull upstream. Go Warn or Go HOME!

Image-F91E0B268F7811D9.jpg-thumb_140_105.jpg

Sponsored

Rangemaster

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Rubicon Diesel
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Business Owner

Jeepeto

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR XR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Sparky
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

...aaaand I tried to pot the board and somehow screwed it up. I now have a wired only remote :mad:

I should have just left well enough alone. To be fair the corrosion had already started on the AAA batteries inside the remote, and the stink of 'er was something awful when you got the case open, but dammit I wish i had a wireless winch

OP
OP
MesaAZGuy

MesaAZGuy

First Name
Simon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Rubicon XR 3.6
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Sorry Josh, that sucks. But in the name of advancement, you helped out many people who were thinking of doing the same.

fourfa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTRD
I received my replacement wired-only remote a couple days ago:
Jeep Wrangler JL Safety recall on Warn Evo 10s? IMG_1178

Same shape as the wireless one, probably the same side shells. Same 4-pin inline cable, same in and out buttons, just the "VR EVO" logo where the Mode button used to be.

No coupon in the documents that came with it, just an updated manual with new art and no reference to wireless operation. Anyone seen a coupon yet?

CopperMtnGuy

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Wrangler, 2005 KJ
Was looking forward to buying one of these soon. If I understand it right, there's a stop sale on it and they're not shipping them so they can switch out the remotes? Will they be reducing the price by $100 from the start? I just wonder if I buy one now and it's $100 less, I wonder if I'd be ineligible for the new remote.
Sponsored