Sponsored

Safety Group instead of Advanced Safety Group?

Albertaktm

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Willys 2 Door Manual.
Occupation
Chief Cook and Bottle Washer
I couldn't agree more with your statement. I have the ASG, and use the adaptive cruise constantly. I did turn off the brake assist to just a warning, and put it on near. It has never gone off on me. Since I use the Adaptive Cruise all the time, it brakes for me. I do still pay close attention to the other drivers. It just makes driving a little less stressful in my opinion. I've had customers that don't want it because they like to tailgate. Never understood that excuse, but whatever it's your money. To not want an option because it's designed to help you is silly. To not want it because of budget is completely understandable. In my 22 years of selling cars, and seeing technology change a lot in those years. Most people don't want those options because they don't understand them. I remember when back up cameras starting coming out. People actually said they didn't want them cause they know how to back up, and that was a distraction. Fast forward 15 years, and now that same person won't buy a car without it.
I disagree. I do. The masses don't. I have had cruise control on every vehicle i've owned since the 80's. I didn't have it on my 3 in the tree Chevy 10 pickup. I used to put on 40K km a year till i retired a couple years ago and NEVER use cruise. Backup cameras. I have been around boats, sleds and their respective trailers since the 60's. driving since the mid 70's. still never use the backup camera. I have never owned a vehicle with a backup camera. With an acreage at the lake, i'm always backing up some sort of trailer. I have backed up friends vehicles for then to trailers and only noticed when i put the center shifter in park that, oh, they had a back up camera!

When I start the process of backing up a vehicle, my eyes ALWAYS go to the mirrors. I have never thought reverse, check, ok, look away from the windows down at a little screen now. VFR vs IFR I guess.

They only times it may come in handy is if your by yourself backing up to a large dual axle trailer with at least a 2 5/16 ball and you have to get directly under it as you can't budge the trailer. Guess i'm old fashion !
Sponsored

OP
OP
rickinAZ

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon EcoDiesel (11th Jeep)
Occupation
Retired CFO. Mayo Clinic volunteer.
They are not there to help you keep focused on the task you undertook when you got behind the wheel
So, just to be clear, you've never had a moment of inattention? And, if you have, you wouldn't want at least a chance of avoiding serious injury?

And...the safety features aren't designed to better focus your attention; they are there to pick up the pieces when your attention strays.

Last edited:

jellis4148

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler JLU Rubicon
I disagree. I do. The masses don't. I have had cruise control on every vehicle i've owned since the 80's. I didn't have it on my 3 in the tree Chevy 10 pickup. I used to put on 40K km a year till i retired a couple years ago and NEVER use cruise. Backup cameras. I have been around boats, sleds and their respective trailers since the 60's. driving since the mid 70's. still never use the backup camera. I have never owned a vehicle with a backup camera. With an acreage at the lake, i'm always backing up some sort of trailer. I have backed up friends vehicles for then to trailers and only noticed when i put the center shifter in park that, oh, they had a back up camera!

When I start the process of backing up a vehicle, my eyes ALWAYS go to the mirrors. I have never thought reverse, check, ok, look away from the windows down at a little screen now. VFR vs IFR I guess.

They only times it may come in handy is if your by yourself backing up to a large dual axle trailer with at least a 2 5/16 ball and you have to get directly under it as you can't budge the trailer. Guess i'm old fashion !

Even though that is what they are called. Back up cameras were not designed to be used solely to back up. They were designed to make sure you have no obstructions behind you like a little kid that wandered behind after you got in your car/truck. People that use them to back up with are complete idiots, and shouldn't be driving. I do use mine. I put it in reverse, look at the camera, then back up with my mirrors, and looking around me. I use my camera when I'm getting close to a trailer to hook up. Makes it easier than getting in and out a couple of times. I can back a trailer with my mirrors better than most people can turning around and looking out the back window. So, the back up camera is just like all safety devices when used properly they are designed to help., and prevent something accidental happening. We can all say we pay attention and don't need safety devices, but they help prevent an accident if used correctly. For the people that say they pay attention and nothing will ever happen to them. It's called and accident. That means you didn't do it on purpose. Maybe all these safety devices saved several 1,000's of peoples lives. Not because they weren't driving defensively, but because something unforeseen happened that couldn't be prevented, but the safety device saved them. Unfortunately, some people aren't taught the right way to do things. As we move forward with technology. Things are going to change. Everyone says cars are getting to many things on them. I disagree. If used as a system to help they do and will save countless lives. The person who dies playing there phone will using Tesla Autopilot deserved to be in that accident. They used only the system, and used it wrong. Use Tesla Autopilot while watching the road as if you were driving will make a better, and safer driving experience. The problem isn't with the systems. The problem is with humans. Ok rant done. I can't wait to read the responses to this.

salvi.ah

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 G37x, 2019 X3
You could wait for a custom order (when the factories reopen). Depends on your sense of urgency.
Agree, fair option.

I'm just seeing a lot of 2020s on the lot being sold for 18-20% off MSRP.

I imaging the discount on custom orders is nowhere near as high..

misanthrope

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Schwinn Homegrown
Occupation
Badass
So, just to be clear, you've never had a moment of inattention? And, if you have, you wouldn't want at least a chance of avoiding serious injury?

And...the safety features aren't designed to better focus your attention; they are there to pick up the pieces when your attention strays.
I completely agree with you in theory. In practice, however, many of these systems affect the learning process for newer drivers. If you never knew a car without them, you don't necessarily use them as ancillary systems, but rather as primary ones. I fear that they are creating a generation of nanny-dependent drivers. Moments of inattention are enabled for these people because of the nannies.

Had the ASG been included as the only option for a safety group, then I would have rather taken too much with it than too little without it. I'm glad they offer the 2 separate packages, and if cost were no factor, I would take all the safety nannies I can get, provided I can disable the ones that inhibit my ability to drive. But it was a simple cost-benefit analysis. No benefit to me 99.9% of the time(as I will allow for the possibility of an accident caused by inattention, though it has never happened in nearly 35 years of driving), but the cost is incurred 100% of the time (as in you don't get charged only when you use it, the cost is a sunken one).
You may say this is a lot like car insurance, but, to date, I have paid tens of thousands of dollars for that and collected $0 from any company that has insured me, nor has an insurance company ever paid a penny on my behalf.

Sponsored

OP
OP
rickinAZ

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Well said.

Confession: I had over 40 years of accident-free driving. Then, in the last 7 years, two at-fault accidents. Knock on wood at your 35 years accident-free - I was there once. [I will take all of the technological help I can get]

Albertaktm

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation

Attention stray? Never! Seriously, I have no issues with the automakers adding safety measures. I remember Caddy coming out with daytime running lights and everyone thought WTF? Headlights in the daytime?

My concern is for the younger people in their 20's, the 6 or 7 that actually want a drivers licence, become too reliant on the technology. In my world, if you can't parallel park, you shouldn't be driving. It shows you have no feel and relation as to where your car is on the road.

I'm all for safety, i just didn't want to spend $1,500 bucks on the advanced safety group. When it becomes standard equipment, i'll be fine with that.

BuffaloBill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler, 2014 Ram 1500 EcoDiesel 2020 JLUR Ecodiesel
I too don’t like the car commercials that show a young driver being saved by the new tech. What message does that sent to that crowd?

Albertaktm

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
I too don’t like the car commercials that show a young driver being saved by the new tech. What message does that sent to that crowd?
My god man, you ordered a Orange Rubicon in October and still haven't seen it??

OP
OP
rickinAZ

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Not sure that they are trying to send a message to young drivers. I suspect that the target audience for those commercials is parents seeking to protect their children. Who, just like older Americans, might be better served by more stringent licensing requirements. That said, I still like the safety nannies, but they should supplement European-quality driving instruction.

Sponsored

BuffaloBill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler, 2014 Ram 1500 EcoDiesel 2020 JLUR Ecodiesel
My god man, you ordered a Orange Rubicon in October and still haven't seen it??
Isn’t that something? One time had ordered an Audi built in Germany, waited over a year for that but had expected it too. Had felt like telling them to keep this Jeep a couple of times, but it’s close now (I think).

Since buying an Ecodiesel Ram in 2014, I’ve been waiting each year to be able to order a diesel Wrangler. Finally last October the order books opened, and I ordered within a week or so of hearing that. I’m guessing the early orders like mine were set aside for a part problem found as the line began pre-production. No firm evidence on that, just what a number of us think may have happened. Just hope I won’t need warranty work right out of the shoot.

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)
I decided to bump this thread.

None of the Safety Groups were available when I ordered my last '19 JLR. I will place a order for a 2022 as soon as the order banks open.

I have some of these features in other cars. Some safety technolgy work better than others. Have never had or used them in a Wrangler. I would consider them if they really work relibily on a Wrangler. Otherwise I would skip them if the technology is still flaky. The safety group options I think might be useful are the auto high beams, radar cruise control, front auto braking, rear auto braking when backing out of a garage on a street with faster traffic.

What are your opinions after having the Safety Groups?
How well do they work in the real world?
Any issues with the Safety Groups?
Any malfunctions?
Reliability of the systems?
Would you order them again or pass?

Last edited:

CWRUYOTE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURD
I decided to bump this thread.

None of the Safety Groups were available when I ordered my last '19 JLR. I will place a order for a 2022 as soon as the order banks open.

I have some of these features in other cars. Some safety technolgy work better than others. Have never had or used them in a Wrangler. I would consider them if they really work relibily on a Wrangler. Otherwise I would skip them if the technology is still flaky. The safety group options I think might be useful are the auto high beams, radar cruise control, front auto braking, rear auto braking when backing out of a garage on a street with faster traffic.

What are your opinions after having the Safety Groups?
How well do they work in the real world?
Any issues with the Safety Groups?
Any malfunctions?
Reliability of the systems?
Would you order them again or pass?
I have both safety groups in my 2021 and really like them. They're similar to what I have in my car. If I had to buy another Jeep, I'd get the safety packages.

I haven't had issues with them. About the only 'problem' is that sometimes the sensors in the bumpers get covered with snow/salt/crap during the winter, and sometimes driving on the highway during a rainstorm will bring up a random warning about not having sensors. The situation is easily rectified by wiping the sensors off. After doing that, I haven't had a repeated warning.

I turn off as many safety nannies that I can when wheeling. When I'm back on the road afterwards, I haven't had a problem, so I feel they're pretty reliable in my case.

I hope this helps with your decision. Good luck with your future order!

Vrrooom

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
I ordered the ASG on my 21 JLUR. I have it on my 20 Grand Cherokee and really love the adaptive cruise in traffic (live in the DC metro area) and the forward collision has also been a nice feature. It hasn’t had any false alerts and actually saved me from a collision once.

I was driving in traffic at about 45mph and am generally very observant. I was following directions on Waze and I glanced down to see the next turn and the vehicle in front of me happened to brake at the same time for a squirrel. Fcw bleeped and braked quicker than if I was to notice the slow down and brake. It was close but there was no incident.

So while people on here say how observant they are and they pay attention, accidents happen at that split second you look away. And everyone does it, whether to glance down at your speed, look at the name of a road coming up, following nav instructions, to itch an eye, etc. This is when adaptive cruise, forward collision warning, etc. are truly useful.

If you can afford it, get it, and if you find it’s too intrusive, dial it back to alerts only. It may just save you or someone else on the road.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Most importantly, it could save another squirrel...!
Sponsored