Sponsored

Safety Group instead of Advanced Safety Group?

ads75

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 2Door JL Rubicon in Mojito, 2022 Rivian R1T
I purposely bypast the ASG. I love driving and paying attention. If you need some device to tell you that you have moved out of your lane, stay off the road. Take an Uber!
Couldn't agree more :LOL::LOL:
The main reason I got the ASG is because I work rotating shift work. Although I pay attention when I drive, I'll take a technological advantage when I am driving home at 6am. Maybe you have never gotten to experience rotating shift work. Maybe you have never had a long day at work and left tired. Glad no one else ever considers anyone else's situation and just like to make blanket statements like "just pay attention", and have never had any adverse situations in their lives.
Sponsored

Notorious

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 TJ Sahara
The main reason I got the ASG is because I work rotating shift work...
I’ve worked the rotating shift and have fallen asleep at the wheel ONCE before and it’s not fun. Your post makes me feel grateful that Jeep offers ASG as an option. While the option wasn’t right for me, clearly it’s right for some.

This post is not an endorsement for you to fall asleep at the wheel because you have the ASG package. For that, there’s a Tesla. And if you do have a Tesla, congratulations and sweet dreams? :CWL:

misanthrope

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Schwinn Homegrown
Occupation
Badass
I would never judge anyone for getting the Advance Safety Group, as everyone who has it makes me safer on the road. TBS, I do not work crazy hours, I never drive exhausted or impaired, I may switch between radio channels from time to time, but with the steering wheel controls, my eyes can always stay on the road. I find emergency braking systems to be intrusive and distracting, especially in city driving situations and rural roads with bends and winding turns. I love being engaged with my vehicle (from my '80 Plymouth Horizon to my '20 JLUR) so I will never, never be the guy who rear-ends you. Never. I like auto-cruise, but we have the Pilot for long family trips, and in my neck of the (non) woods, there is no need for brights at all, let alone auto-high beams. It saved me some money and I literally never miss any of these functions.

For the record, I'm not an anti-tech guy, I love ESS, I want a BSG engine but I'll settle for the Hybrid JL, I like auto dimming mirrors and I don't mind hitting buttons to activate/deactivate stuff. I didn't get the option because I wasn't gonna use it. I have heated seats because my butt gets cold, I have remote start because I don't want to go out to warm the car, I have proximity locks because the remote is a laptop, I have the parking sensors because shit jumps out of no where, but only when I'm parking, and I like blind spot because I always think I'm driving an M3 and no one can keep up with me so I have gotten lazy checking my blind spots (because, hey, steel bumpers) but I'm actually driving a 2+ ton JL and everyone can keep up with me.

Notorious

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 TJ Sahara
...so I will never, never be the guy who rear-ends you. Never...
I used to rear end my girlfriends in my Jeep topless all the time, many years ago. If she’s cute, she’s probably getting rear ended!! :CWL:

But I get what you’re saying and most of us really, really thank you. :clap:

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Wildtrak
Vehicle Showcase
I have the advanced safety group (I did not order my Rubicon, it was on the lot in the color/top combination I wanted).

My AMG had an even more advanced version than this and so I was already used to function and the "box" near the rear view mirror.

Knock on glass, plastic, and wood I am a careful driver, but that does not mean everyone else is and it has saved me a few times in parking garages and rush-hour traffic.

With that said, the front collision detector does not work as well as the AMG and so I switched off active braking and set it to alarm only due to the number of false positives.

If I had to do it again, I would still buy the advanced safety group.

Sponsored

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
I noticed that many members who have ordered the Safety Group have passed on the Advanced Safety Group. If you custom-ordered, this was a conscious decision. Why not the ASG?
I got Safety Group; consciously avoided the Advanced Safety Group. I had adaptive cruise control (ACC) and front collision warning on prior vehicles and didn’t like either one.

ACC makes for lazy and mindless driving, period. And those front sensors tend to malfunction and get easily panicked. The front sensors on my Toyota Tacoma were notorious for all sorts malfunctions due to weather, suspension lifts and what not. The forward collision system on my Dodge Challenger would freak out of its own shadow.

OP
OP
rickinAZ

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon EcoDiesel (11th Jeep)
Occupation
Retired CFO. Mayo Clinic volunteer.
OP here.

This is more polarizing than I thought it would be. We have some members who have embraced (and liked) the technology, and those who have had problems with it. I'm still unclear about the member who "HATED... the forward collision warning" after a test drive. Is the feature so bad that it acts up during a few mile test drive? Now that would sour me on the safety package, but I need the details.

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Wildtrak
Vehicle Showcase
OP here.

This is more polarizing than I thought it would be. We have some members who have embraced (and liked) the technology, and those who have had problems with it. I'm still unclear about the member who "HATED... the forward collision warning" after a test drive. Is the feature so bad that it acts up during a few mile test drive? Now that would sour me on the safety package, but I need the details.
In 10,000 miles, mine has false alarmed 4 times, so although annoying, it does not happen that often.

salvi.ah

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 G37x, 2019 X3
Hi guys,

New to the forum. I've been looking for a 2020 JLU Sport S with tech group, cold weather, and safety group.

Every local dealership I've searched does not have a Sport S on the lot with safety group. It has everything else but never safety group. It seems safety group is only found on the Sahara trim (or higher).

Is this a thing or do I just need to keep looking for a Sport S that has what I am looking for?

Thanks.

JLUS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Sahara
Hi guys,

New to the forum. I've been looking for a 2020 JLU Sport S with tech group, cold weather, and safety group.

Every local dealership I've searched does not have a Sport S on the lot with safety group. It has everything else but never safety group. It seems safety group is only found on the Sahara trim (or higher).

Is this a thing or do I just need to keep looking for a Sport S that has what I am looking for?

Thanks.
There are 2 safety groups, both are available on 2020 Sport S per Jeep.com build.

Safety group = led rear lights, blind spot, cross path detection

advanced safety group = advanced brake assist, collision warning, and adaptive cruise.

Sponsored

OP
OP
rickinAZ

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon EcoDiesel (11th Jeep)
Occupation
Retired CFO. Mayo Clinic volunteer.
Hi guys,

Thanks.
You could wait for a custom order (when the factories reopen). Depends on your sense of urgency.

Albertaktm

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Willys 2 Door Manual.
Occupation
Chief Cook and Bottle Washer
I've got good news for you: you can quit avoiding the ASG; it doesn't have a lane departure warning feature. :)

All kidding aside, the "just pay attention" advice is a little cavalier. While there are certainly distracted drivers out there, the rest of us ARE paying attention, but sometimes shit happens. I want some assistance in those cases. Curious, how did you feel about anti-lock brakes in the 1990s?

p.s. I'm not sure that taking an Uber is a step in the right direction safety-wise.
Anti Lock brakes are different. Just like air bags. They are there to help you when conditions get crappy fast. They are not there to help you keep focused on the task you undertook when you got behind the wheel

Albertaktm

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Willys 2 Door Manual.
Occupation
Chief Cook and Bottle Washer
I test drove a JLU with ASG and did not even notice the camera box behind the rearview at 6'1". What I did notice, and what I absolutely HATED was the forward collision warning. It was extremely annoying. I wound up not even going with the safety group and just purchased a set of LED tails to match the LED headlights/ fogs. Best route for me tbh.
Too funny, I got the safety group merely for the LED tail lights. I am not sure whey the tail lights are not part of the LED package.

Reactions: AFD

jellis4148

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler JLU Rubicon
I've got good news for you: you can quit avoiding the ASG; it doesn't have a lane departure warning feature. :)

All kidding aside, the "just pay attention" advice is a little cavalier. While there are certainly distracted drivers out there, the rest of us ARE paying attention, but sometimes shit happens. I want some assistance in those cases. Curious, how did you feel about anti-lock brakes in the 1990s?

p.s. I'm not sure that taking an Uber is a step in the right direction safety-wise.

I couldn't agree more with your statement. I have the ASG, and use the adaptive cruise constantly. I did turn off the brake assist to just a warning, and put it on near. It has never gone off on me. Since I use the Adaptive Cruise all the time, it brakes for me. I do still pay close attention to the other drivers. It just makes driving a little less stressful in my opinion. I've had customers that don't want it because they like to tailgate. Never understood that excuse, but whatever it's your money. To not want an option because it's designed to help you is silly. To not want it because of budget is completely understandable. In my 22 years of selling cars, and seeing technology change a lot in those years. Most people don't want those options because they don't understand them. I remember when back up cameras starting coming out. People actually said they didn't want them cause they know how to back up, and that was a distraction. Fast forward 15 years, and now that same person won't buy a car without it.

cosine

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport jl
Occupation
Gone Postal
when i was looking for my jl, i was already planning a base model with certain options which are 8 spd auto, a/c, xm, and hard top. i was not interested in any other options because of the $$$ and any possible problems that can come up down the road. yeah, led light are nice, but not at $1000. i saved by spending $348 for supernova head and fog lights. never had a cold weather group in any of my past rides, so i'm not missing anything. i rather hand crank the windows and lock the door manually. as for the safety group, never dealt with them and i predict to find them annoying. i rather be aware of my surrounding by looking while driving and not have to rely on a technology. for example the back up camera is nice and i will take a quick look at it. however i still physically look in the mirrors and back window while backing up.
Sponsored