• ⛔️ EFFECTIVE JANUARY 11, 2023 ⛔️ 

ATTENTION SELLERS: All users who wish to sell in the marketplace are now required to abide by the following RULES. If a sales thread/post created ON OR AFTER January 11, 2023, does not comply, it is subject to DELETION without notice.

ATTENTION BUYERS: If you see a non-compliant sales thread, please REPORT the thread and take CAUTION when transacting.

Rule #1 - Post a picture of the actual item you are selling (NO stock photos).
    Rule #2 - The picture must include a REAL piece of paper with your Username and the Date written on it next to the product you are selling. NO photoshop or digitally edited photos are allowed.
    Rule #3 - NO "feeler" threads are permitted. This section is only for items that are actually available and ready to be sold currently.
    Rule #4 - The listing must include an asking price. OBO (or best offer) is allowed but it must be accompanied by an asking price.
    Rule #5 - No "threadcrapping." Classifieds threads are not meant for negative discussions. Comments on pricing are not allowed. Only people with genuine questions and interest in the item for sale should be posting in the classifieds threads.
Sponsored

Nebraska Safest way to disconnect battery in order to replace aftermarket amp

Tvolcheck

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jlu willy’s
Hello everyone. I need to replace an aftermarket amp (arc audio 850.5) with a new alpine amp. In order to do this safely do I need to first disconnect the negative lead to the battery and then disconnect the amp power wire at the positive end of the battery or do I need to disconnect both battery terminals (negative first). Do I need to disconnect the lead from the push button start battery and in what order? With the extra battery for the push button start, this has got me confused. Just want to do this safely so I don’t risk any injury to myself or the Jeep’s computer. Thanks.​
Sponsored

ItsNo4RE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLU Willys/17 Ram 1500
With the vehicle completely off, just disconnect the Amp.

OP
OP

Tvolcheck

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jlu willy’s
Thank you. I suck at this electrical stuff, but isn’t that power wire from the battery “ live”. So when I remove it from the amp and plug it into the new, will it not spark?

OP
OP

Tvolcheck

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jlu willy’s
Or are you saying disconnect it from the positive terminal of the battery and call it good?

SteadyC

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLS
You don’t need to disconnect both the positive and negative connections from the battery terminals, electricity has to flow in a loop, if you break the loop in one place, the loop is broken, so disconnect the negative. However, our Jeep’s have two batteries, so there are two negatives you need to disconnect. If you just remove the main connection from the negative battery terminal, that isn’t enough, as the second battery is still connected. Assuming you don’t have the etorque system. You have to disconnect another cable from the bunch, see here around 3:20,

OP
OP

Tvolcheck

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jlu willy’s
Steadyc thank you very much. That video was awesome and exactly what I was looking for! Happy new year and thanks for taking the time to comment.
Sponsored