Sponsored

Safest tube doors?

Young04

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Earl 392
What tube doors offer the best crash protection?

I got young kids (7 and 5). They always want to ride without doors but I won't take theirs off. Or is hoping for some crash protection with tube doors a pipe dream?
Sponsored

chevymitchell

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR (Pain Train), 2022 2500 AT4
Occupation
Avi Engineer
What tube doors offer the best crash protection?

I got young kids (7 and 5). They always want to ride without doors but I won't take theirs off. Or is hoping for some crash protection with tube doors a pipe dream?
The MOPAR doors are your best bet. Factory hinge, latch, and beefy.

somedude922

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, Previous: 1984 CJ7, 1979 CJ7
None... tube doors.... no protection whatsoever.

Dan M.

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 sport (2 door)
Supposedly Mopar is coming out with half doors. If you search the forum you can find some threads about it with pics. Nice compromise between tube door and full door.

Sponsored

OP
OP

Young04

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Earl 392
Thank you, all for your insight.

dave_p

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL 2-Door
I have a noob question. When you are driving a few hours to go wheeling and want to use your tube doors, do you drive with them the whole way or find a place to stash your regular doors when you get there? I am trying to imagine my kids in the back seat with highway wind on them at 6AM, and it's not making sense.

tonygiotta

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Firecracker Red JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Fire Captain
I have a noob question. When you are driving a few hours to go wheeling and want to use your tube doors, do you drive with them the whole way or find a place to stash your regular doors when you get there? I am trying to imagine my kids in the back seat with highway wind on them at 6AM, and it's not making sense.
No doubt, even with just the top off, my kids complain on the freeway when it starts cooling off at night. It is pretty windy back there compared to the front seats, can't blame them too much.

As for stashing doors, I know of it happening when long drives to very technical trails are involved. The group will get a hotel room near the trailhead and then they'll all stash their doors in it to prevent door damage while on the trail.

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Retired from Corrections....I have stories.
Just hate me, but I think tube doors are for around town. I have a set and I never wheel with tube doors. Sure it would be cool, but top off and doors off, equal 10 hours of clean up. Maybe when my Jeep is 10 years old, I will think differently.

I also think that the light factory doors do not really qualify as good crash protection.

Jebiruph

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2019 KL, 2020 JT
The MOPAR doors are your best bet. Factory hinge, latch, and beefy.
I agree about the MOPAR doors, but it's because they curve out. The curved horizontal bars are more resistant to being pushed in.

Sponsored

ML7

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler JL Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
I learned to drive by 7 in a FJ410 without doors standing on the foot well, taking them off is not for safety its for fun and thrills, and ease of getting in and out on trails with big rocks. I would say from my experience give your kids the fun of riding without doors, just dont drive on the highway and be careful, you might only be able to do it for a month or 2 out of the year but do it, just be careful.

VNT

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SRT Challenger, 2015 Hemi Overland, 02 WJ 4.7, 2000 Durango, PT Cruisers, 2018 Punkn Sahara 2020 OB Rubicon
I use the RR Tube doors, the construction is pretty good, they are almost as heavy as the regular doors, but not so sure how good the hinge is, you adjust them with some bolts. If t-boned the wall thickness of the Tubing is pretty decent, so how they hold up is unknown, but the aluminum skin on the door isnt going to offer much either.

1272.JPG

1271.JPG
Sponsored